News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

ITT, You ask TGRR anything about history, and get the REAL TRUTH™

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 10, 2011, 05:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 10, 2011, 07:35:37 PM
Chicago Fire.  1871.

Did the cow do it?  Always thought that was a lot like blaming the dog for knocking Mom's vase off the table.

No, Mrs O'Leary's cow did NOT do it.  It was Mrs Catherine O'Leary's no-good drunken husband, Patrick O'Leary that did it.  He passed out with one of those ridiculous Irish pipes in his mouth, and accidentally 4 square miles of the city when his shirt caught fire, causing the whiskey in his bloodstream to explode.

Michael Ahern, the Chicago Republican reporter who created the cow story, admitted in 1893 that he had made it up because he thought it would make colorful copy (Fact).
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

How the hell did a fugly and twitchy character like Abraham Lincoln get elected as President of the United States?  I suspect something nefarious.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

The Bering Land Bridge between Alaska and Russia, back about 12,000 years ago:  I call bullshit.  Thoughts?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on May 10, 2011, 07:41:06 PM
How the hell did a fugly and twitchy character like Abraham Lincoln get elected as President of the United States?  I suspect something nefarious.  

While a candidate, Lincoln very wisely refused to be televised, while at the same time making fun of Steven Douglas' hair.  Douglas was very sensitive about this, and had a "Big Ed Muskie" moment, which cost him the election.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 10, 2011, 07:44:39 PM
The Bering Land Bridge between Alaska and Russia, back about 12,000 years ago:  I call bullshit.  Thoughts?

Prehistorical, and thus outside the scope of this thread.  Perhaps you should ask one of those secular-humanist "scientists" about it.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Payne

Given the particular and incredibly deeply felt resentment against Hitler within even the Fatherland (let alone in conquered and annexed territories), among widely ranging social groups including the intelligentsia, Marxist activists, certain religious institutions and even the Wehrmacht, and given that indeed there were plenty of opportunities to actually deal with him AND his top aides, why were the Germans not serious enough about having a good time in the years 1933 to 1945?

Triple Zero

I really want to know what's up with the Voynich Manuscript.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 11, 2011, 11:58:06 AM
I really want to know what's up with the Voynich Manuscript.

Fuck, I was LOOKING for my sketchbook...  Sorry, my bad, I was just doodling...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 10, 2011, 06:52:10 PM
The Battle of Thermopylae: What gives?

Well, that's a touchy subject to many Greeks.  The official story is that the Greeks were wiped out due to the treason of a local named Ephialtes, who led the Persians around the back way to outflank the Greeks on the 2d day of the actual battle.

But here's the real story:  Not knowing he was being outflanked, Leonidas dismissed the bulk of the army, keeping only 300 Spartans, 400 Thebans, and 700 Thespians.  Now, what good he thought 700 actors would do is left to your imagination, but the end result was predictable.  The Thespians kept stopping to deliver asides, and the Persians - being no-nonsense people - stabbed them.  The battle was over within another day.

The Greeks, however, managed to defeat the Persian navy with Salamis (How they beat them with sandwich meat is a mystery, but it IS established fact, look it up for yourself), and eventually, the Greeks beat the Persians at the battle of placenta (which is pretty fucking gross, if you ask me).

:lulz:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

How did those Dutch manage to get overseas colonies? I thought that stuff was just for Englishmen and Spaniards.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

All these questions and more will be answered at some point tomorrow.

TGRR,
A little low on mojo today.