News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Read the Illuminatus! trilogy

Started by Cain, February 21, 2005, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Von Stevenstein

Whats the omnibus? it sounds familiar, but i cant quit place it...
Floppy-ear'd Order of the Cthulhu
(\ /)
(0.o)
(>D)>=I====>

LMNO

I think omnibus = all three books bound together in one volume.

nurbldoff

I heard an interview with RAW where he said that like 500 pages had to be cut from the Illuminatus trilogy because the publisher thought it was too long. Though, apparently, much of the stuff was re-used in Schroedinger's cat.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Finnyhaha

Ok, here's the thing. I read the first two books and am actually now in the middle of Leviathan but can't get myself interested again. What gives?
Bullshit makes the flowers grow.

Cain

You realized it was all gibberish?  That happened to me, but I persevered, out of interest.

Sepia

i recommend reading the trilogy under the influence.
Everyone will always be too late

Baron Von Stevenstein

Floppy-ear'd Order of the Cthulhu
(\ /)
(0.o)
(>D)>=I====>

hooplala

What exactly is it that has lost your interest?  

The first time I read it I got a bit bored toward the end, the second time I read it the end was my favourite part - it'll take a couple months to permeate your brain.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

To me, Leviathan was the weakest of it.  The cut-up dream sequences/acid trips/deprogramming, the "we are all in a book" bit, the lists, the Triumphant Conclusion of Good v Evil... it all sort of petered out.  

But at least they summoned Eris by fucking the hell out of Mavis.

Whoops!  Was that a spoiler?

hooplala

Really?  But that's where it all comes together - that's where almost all the lessons are learned . . .  please tell me you read the appendixes?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I tend not to consider the appendicies part of the "story" as it were... You're right, they are fairly interesting, and did sum things up nicely.

Don't worry, CR, I've read the damn thing dozens of times.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: LMNOTo me, Leviathan was the weakest of it.  The cut-up dream sequences/acid trips/deprogramming, the "we are all in a book" bit, the lists, the Triumphant Conclusion of Good v Evil... it all sort of petered out.  

But at least they summoned Eris by fucking the hell out of Mavis.

Whoops!  Was that a spoiler?

i thought ht eliving in a book thgn was cool,bjut it's placement and it's utilization was antithetic, they had already destroyed the nazis and leviathopn was really just a shitty cthulu knockoff, adn off course, tehre was the crappy bad acid trip bits. electric kool aid acid test does a lo better job of that sort.

i aconsider the appendices btoh part fo the story an d compelte evil. or at least near enough. also my favourite part of the books.
Hell is other people.

hooplala

Quote from: Tlacaxipehualiztlii aconsider the appendices btoh part fo the story an d compelte evil. or at least near enough.

Eh??

:?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Slarti

every time i read this book i want to read it again, which is a bad habit to get into.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Christ Raw V, KSC
Quote from: Tlacaxipehualiztlii aconsider the appendices btoh part fo the story an d compelte evil. or at least near enough.

Eh??

:?

i mean whati said and i'm sticking to it.
Hell is other people.