News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Unlimited Ferguson Thread of police state nightmare fuel.

Started by Da6s, August 14, 2014, 07:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 03, 2014, 03:34:07 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on December 02, 2014, 10:40:45 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 02, 2014, 06:09:16 AM

The most interesting thing about this is that he is saying some very true things about the system we live in: "It's decades of racial disparity, and economic disparity"... which also include law enforcement disparity.

Not that I'm saying that the U.S. police force are one of the great Bad Guys of History, but when you think about it, have any of the Bad Guys of History ever thought of themselves as the bad guys. It seems they almost always see themselves as The Hero of the Story.

Yeah, pretty much, which is exactly why all of the really big evils of the world are perpetrated by idealists trying to create a perfect society.

Hence my axiom that Utopias are built on stacks of bones.  As are all of the other big-fucking plans primates make that never fucking work.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 03, 2014, 12:58:12 PM

The most interesting thing about this is that he is saying some very true things about the system we live in: "It's decades of racial disparity, and economic disparity"... which also include law enforcement disparity.

Not that I'm saying that the U.S. police force are one of the great Bad Guys of History, but when you think about it, have any of the Bad Guys of History ever thought of themselves as the bad guys. It seems they almost always see themselves as The Hero of the Story.

Yeah, pretty much, which is exactly why all of the really big evils of the world are perpetrated by idealists trying to create a perfect society.

Hence my axiom that Utopias are built on stacks of bones.  As are all of the other big-fucking plans primates make that never fucking work.

Yep.

I find that I encounter an awful lot of Atheists who believe zealously that all the great evils of the world are caused by religion. They tend to be very resistant to the idea that all the great evils of the world are, for the most part, caused by zealotry.

Well, zealotry and natural disasters.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 03, 2014, 04:04:41 PM

Yep.

I find that I encounter an awful lot of Atheists who believe zealously that all the great evils of the world are caused by religion. They tend to be very resistant to the idea that all the great evils of the world are, for the most part, caused by zealotry.

And in all cases of zealotry, the failure that follows is merely proof that they didn't do it enough.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 03, 2014, 04:08:27 PM

Yep.

And in all cases of zealotry, the failure that follows is merely proof that they didn't do it enough.

I recently found out that there's a name for this actual phenomenon. I can't remember it now, though. Maybe if I dig through my homework...

Here it is. In systems science, it's a combination of two archetypes, escalation and fixes that fail.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 03, 2014, 04:24:56 PM

Yep.

I recently found out that there's a name for this actual phenomenon. I can't remember it now, though. Maybe if I dig through my homework...

Here it is. In systems science, it's a combination of two archetypes, escalation and fixes that fail.

I am now running off to google, because that is a phenomena that has always fascinated me.  Thanks!
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 03, 2014, 04:50:39 PM

Yep.

I am now running off to google, because that is a phenomena that has always fascinated me.  Thanks!

YW!

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Meunster

Quote from: Trivial on December 04, 2014, 03:11:21 AM
Twitter #Crimingwhilewhite is a good read.

"I walked into a coffee shop while carrying a larp sword. I told the cop it wasn't real, he replies with "It wouldn't matter anyways #crimingwhilewhite"

I feel like I'm living in the judge Dred universe. 

Granted there was a black kid carrying a fake katana that was shot to death.
However he also lunged at the cops with it.
Poe's law ;)

Trivial

There was one with a cosplay sword that was shot in the back.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

There was also the guy who got put in a choke hold for selling cigarettes on a street corner and died in hospital as a direct result.

What kind of moron uses a choke hold as a control move anyway?  Shit, I only did a year of ju-jitus and in one of the very first lessons we were told choke moves are potential killing moves.  Not that you really need to be a genius to figure that out - anything involving the neck is potentially a killing move.  You know, due to the central nervous system in its entirety running through it.

trix

Yep.

I doubt it's the name you're looking for but, confirmation bias?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: trix on December 05, 2014, 01:15:53 PM

Yep.

I doubt it's the name you're looking for but, confirmation bias?

In systems science, it's a combination of two archetypes, escalation and fixes that fail.

The combination is also sometimes called a vicious cycle, but I find it more useful to separate it into component parts.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 05, 2014, 08:20:16 AM
There was also the guy who got put in a choke hold for selling cigarettes on a street corner and died in hospital as a direct result.

What kind of moron uses a choke hold as a control move anyway?  Shit, I only did a year of ju-jitus and in one of the very first lessons we were told choke moves are potential killing moves.  Not that you really need to be a genius to figure that out - anything involving the neck is potentially a killing move.  You know, due to the central nervous system in its entirety running through it.

Even door security here have to take a training course to get certified in how to subdue someone without killing them.

It seems clear that a huge part of the problem is that police officers have little incentive NOT to use deadly force, because there are basically no consequences. On top of that many are ex-military, desensitized to killing, and have been trained to view civilians as "the enemy"; dangerous and less than human.