News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

find books music etc online

Started by Triple Zero, October 20, 2007, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

two links:

http://g2p.org/ -- instant google-fu! adds special keywords to a google query in order to find those elusive "open directories" with all the goodies in them. i just used it to find a nice open dir chockfull of D&D manuals. you can find a lot of mp3s on there as well. the nice thing is, the servers are usually pretty fast.

http://www.scribd.com/ -- i just got this link from a friend. it's a web2.0 thingy that allows people to upload and share and "publish" all the popular book formats like word, pdf etc .. guess what they're really using it for.. [i haven't checked it out extensively, but it seems a nice resource]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: triple zero on October 20, 2007, 07:20:03 PM
two links:

http://g2p.org/ -- instant google-fu! adds special keywords to a google query in order to find those elusive "open directories" with all the goodies in them. i just used it to find a nice open dir chockfull of D&D manuals. you can find a lot of mp3s on there as well. the nice thing is, the servers are usually pretty fast.

http://www.scribd.com/ -- i just got this link from a friend. it's a web2.0 thingy that allows people to upload and share and "publish" all the popular book formats like word, pdf etc .. guess what they're really using it for.. [i haven't checked it out extensively, but it seems a nice resource]

Fucking great. Now I can feel like a dumbass for owning several hundred dollars worth of those books.

barumunk

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

Cramulus

Quote from: mortikanaan on January 31, 2008, 12:50:54 AM
bahahahaha

pay for anything d20, i dont think so...

its all freeeee!!!! and has beeeeeeen....

boooooo

as someone who has worked in the gaming industry

boooooooo!

I mean, I own several pirated d20 PDFs. But I do own far more hard copy. That industry is doing pretty badly as-is without pirates!

okay got that out of my system,
now time to go download books illegally.

Cramulus

Quote from: mortikanaan on February 08, 2008, 06:03:14 PM
But at 3.5 i just stopped buying entirely.

that's a shame. 3.5 is when it started to get good.    :p

Triple Zero

4.0 is more going to be like DBZ i heard
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: triple zero on February 08, 2008, 08:20:50 PM
4.0 is more going to be like DBZ i heard
:x
If that happens, I will stab a fucker.

Then I'll probably buy the Core Rulebooks all over again. :sad:

Iason Ouabache

Bump because I just now discovered Scribd.  I notice that they have the Book of the Subgenius, The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, and something called "Apotheosis Psycherotica"
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Auguste

Erm, you guys knew you could just search for something like:
"index of mp3s"
right?  It's easy to find open directories like that.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Auguste on June 24, 2008, 09:33:24 AM
Erm, you guys knew you could just search for something like:
"index of mp3s"
right?  It's easy to find open directories like that.

1) did you actually try that string? it doesn't work any more since, oh, 2002 or so, cause it's spammed to death. you have to be really clever now

2) which is exactly what g2p.org does for you

Auguste

Quote from: triple zero on June 25, 2008, 03:30:40 PMit doesn't work any more since, oh, 2002 or so
It seems to be working for me.  Or am I mistaking?  1,750,000 results in Google.

I bookmarked G2P.  It looks pretty useful.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Auguste on June 26, 2008, 11:32:36 AM
Quote from: triple zero on June 25, 2008, 03:30:40 PM
it doesn't work any more since, oh, 2002 or so
It seems to be working for me.  Or am I mistaking?  1,750,000 results in Google.

I bookmarked G2P.  It looks pretty useful.

yeah you get results on that string, but the pages you get don't actually lead to mp3s. it's all spammed up.

Auguste

Quote from: triple zero on June 28, 2008, 02:52:20 PM
yeah you get results on that string, but the pages you get don't actually lead to mp3s. it's all spammed up.
Ah, I see.  I took note of how G2P searches Google and am putting it to good use.  I never would have thought of searching for the file extension.

Cain

If looking for books for free, I often put .pdf in along with the book title.  You tend to get better results that way.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Auguste on June 29, 2008, 03:17:06 AM
Quote from: triple zero on June 28, 2008, 02:52:20 PM
Ah, I see.  I took note of how G2P searches Google and am putting it to good use.  I never would have thought of searching for the file extension.

please check out http://searchlores.org/rabbits.htm and http://searchlores.org/ar1essay.htm for much more tips and tricks like these. the actual techniques explained in these essays are--as always with the shifting sands of the web--most probably outdated, but parts of them still work, and because the reasoning behind them is also explained, it'll give you some ideas and skills for your google-fu toolbelt to flex during arbitrary searches.