News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Abdelbaset Ali Mahmoud Al Megrahi:

Started by Payne, August 20, 2009, 01:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

ITT we predict how much the Scottish Government will be panned for abetting terrorism by not debasing our (supposedly, at least) liberal and democratic values.

My guess is they'll be pretty roundly beaten up by everyone.

EDIT: Spell-fu broken today

Cain

Labour and their tabloid allies will lead the way.

Because Labour are actually responsible, since they negotiated the deal with Libya, and this particular protocol was discussed with Megrahi in mind.

Payne

MacAskell was very careful to avoid political and economic ramifications though out his statement except on the point of Westminster, and the Government in particular, being very unhelpful in his preparations to make the decision on the prisoner transfer agreement. He ultimately declined the PTA because the only side of the agreements apparently made between the U.S. and U.K. governments in the run up to the trial was the American side, and they were dead set against any deal. On the U.K. side he was almost completely stonewalled. No doubt the fact that he pointed these shortcomings out will be completely ignored by everyone.

I'll be clear, I'm no fan of the current "Scottish Government", but I reckon that overall they handled this well and stood for 'Principle' rather than outright political gain on the matter - for both different applications they received. Accepting the prisoner exchange would have possibly shown that they at least got something out of it in public perception, but they didn't want to play that game. And following the guidelines set out for release on compassionate grounds, requested by Al Megrahi himself, they had no choice but to release him - regardless of the scale and notoriety of his crime.

Of course, MacAskell and the SNP are going to be pasted from both sides of the Atlantic, and from every possible angle. Something I find quite saddening.

Payne

She took it 'personally'  :lulz:

Edit: Suggestion to Clinton - Resolve your differences with the Scottish government in a one-on-one duel with Nicola Sturgeon.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on August 20, 2009, 04:32:31 PM
She took it 'personally'  :lulz:

Edit: Suggestion to Clinton - Resolve your differences with the Scottish government in a one-on-one duel with Nicola Sturgeon.

You've already dealt with longshanks.

Prepare to meet fatshanks.

Make your time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I can see why the families would be pissed, to be fair (I can also see the argument that he is going to die very soon anyway and that excess cruelty is not necessarily the same as justice), but the whole political chicanery around this annoys the hell out of me.  The American leadership know Scotland isn't responsible for this, but they do not want to isolate the UK, and so the Scottish Executive is convienient punching bag for public opinion. 

Cain

For you, Payne http://www.blackfive.net/main/2009/08/scottish-sympathy-lybian-perfidy.html

Apparently letting Al-Megrahi go IS ENDANGERING PEOPLES LIVES!!!112!  Because everyone knows all Libyan intelligence officers MOOSLIMS ever think about is killing whoever their leaders dictate needs to die, to further the national interest INFIDELS!!!!  Even when they are dying of prostrate cancer.

And, as I none-too-subtly alluded to, conflating al-Megrahi with Islamic terrorism in general and the Guantanamo Bay prisoners in particular is stupid.  He's a spy for the Libyan government - a covert agent whose job is to collect information and kill people for the national interest of Libya, just like every other intelligence agency in the world.  While terrorism is generally morally unacceptable, to think that we, for example, would never stoop to such lows and that al-Megrahi is an exception rather than a rule in the world of covert operations is ridiculous.  The CIA and MI6 have planted car-bombs on crowded streets to assassinate people before, lets not pretend anyone has clean hands here.

Secondly, most of the people in Guantanamo are innocent.  And those who are not...well, this is why you don't break the law while trying to enforce it, morans.  Most of the charges of people being guilty there came from prisoners who had psychotic breaks after months of torture, and were clearly not mentally fit to be used for intelligence purposes (one detainee claimed over thirty prisoners were part of Bin Laden's personal bodyguard...shortly before spending three hours talking to people only he could see).

In short, another day for the Machtpolitik idiots to run their mouths and assert the need for American legal, military and political primacy over the globe, because someone did something they didn't like.  Just like every other day.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Pope Pixie Pickle

yes, syn, its a fucking mess.
Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2009, 04:11:43 PM
For you, Payne http://www.blackfive.net/main/2009/08/scottish-sympathy-lybian-perfidy.html

Apparently letting Al-Megrahi go IS ENDANGERING PEOPLES LIVES!!!112!  Because everyone knows all Libyan intelligence officers MOOSLIMS ever think about is killing whoever their leaders dictate needs to die, to further the national interest INFIDELS!!!!  Even when they are dying of prostrate cancer.

And, as I none-too-subtly alluded to, conflating al-Megrahi with Islamic terrorism in general and the Guantanamo Bay prisoners in particular is stupid.  He's a spy for the Libyan government - a covert agent whose job is to collect information and kill people for the national interest of Libya, just like every other intelligence agency in the world.  While terrorism is generally morally unacceptable, to think that we, for example, would never stoop to such lows and that al-Megrahi is an exception rather than a rule in the world of covert operations is ridiculous.  The CIA and MI6 have planted car-bombs on crowded streets to assassinate people before, lets not pretend anyone has clean hands here.

Secondly, most of the people in Guantanamo are innocent.  And those who are not...well, this is why you don't break the law while trying to enforce it, morans.  Most of the charges of people being guilty there came from prisoners who had psychotic breaks after months of torture, and were clearly not mentally fit to be used for intelligence purposes (one detainee claimed over thirty prisoners were part of Bin Laden's personal bodyguard...shortly before spending three hours talking to people only he could see).

In short, another day for the Machtpolitik idiots to run their mouths and assert the need for American legal, military and political primacy over the globe, because someone did something they didn't like.  Just like every other day.

this is why I both hate and love Cain. Your one brilliantly baby faced mother fucker, so well put that anything I have to say just becomes redundant.

I lolled @ the guantanamo crazy thing. Cos it was Troof.

Cain, please take over the world in your spare time as I'd rather trust the world with you as our Awesome Leader than the fat old assholes at the top now.

Requia ☣

I don't trust Cain one bit for the record.  However I'll support his global takeover in exchange for a substantial bribe.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

O RLY?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6814939.ece

QuoteThe British government decided it was "in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom" to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown's government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi's release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED TO DISCOVER THAT THIS IS THE CASE!!!

Kai

Theres no way this could be about oil.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Remington

Repatriating a terrorist bomber: How To

1. Load said terrorist into plane
2. Fly over to Libya
3. Push terrorist out of plane
4. ... at 30,000 feet
5. Mission Accomplished, go home
Is it plugged in?

Bruno