News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Wow WHAT THEEEE FUCK EVEN

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 11, 2013, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A friend of mine posted this on FB: http://cjredwine.tumblr.com/post/57670817509/a-letter-to-jake-vale-explaining-rape-culture
A Letter to Jake Vale Explaining Rape Culture

Dear Jake Vale,

Today, I saw the videos you posted where you "pranked" teenage girls by running up behind them, grabbing them around the waist, and then running away with them while they were trying to get into VidCon. I'm one of the people who was instantly upset and disgusted by your behavior, especially after a girl screamed at you to stop and you laughed at her and refused, and then even more when three girls stood up to you and told you that it was wrong to touch girls without their permission, and you argued with them.

I, along with many of my friends, began discussing your video on Twitter. None of us had difficulty understanding how your "prank" was wrong. Or why it was upsetting. You, on the other hand, posted this tweet:

Jake @thejakevaleshow

People have no sense of humor these days... Or no when to shut their trap

Well, I not only refuse to shut my trap, I'm going to tell you why what you did isn't funny. It's called "rape culture," and you're perpetuating it.

So I looked up the video in question on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol7bzs1b4uQ

WHAT IN THE LIVING FUCK, HOW DID ANYONE EVER THINK THIS WAS OK?

The creepiest part; it isn't just some dumb kids, apparently the FORTY YEAR OLD (SELF-DESCRIBED "FAMILY MAN") DAD gave it his blessing. And then, they had to have WATCHED THE FILM, and STILL thought it was funny, and then posted it to Youtube.

AMAZING.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

If somebody came up from behind and put their hands on me, or my daughter, they wouldn't get the nervous laughter reaction. At all.
*/understatement*
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Ben Shapiro

These guys are fucking stupid.
Where's the giant ape of a bf when you need one.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on August 11, 2013, 05:48:01 PM
If somebody came up from behind and put their hands on me, or my daughter, they wouldn't get the nervous laughter reaction. At all.
*/understatement*

Right?

But most girls aren't trained to fight back. I wish they were, I would have loved to see those assnards get seriously hurt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Most, yeah. But it has to happen sooner or later, right?
One of them has a delayed reaction and says "Get away, you're a creep" and his response is "Bet I can get your number".
He thinks he's invulnerable.
I'll LOL when he's picking his teeth out of the back of his throat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It pisses me off that to these people, women are just a punchline.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LOL, abduction! Can't you take a rape joke?

Anna Mae Bollocks

I wouldn't even walk up behind a dog and just grab it like that.  :x

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on August 11, 2013, 07:05:19 PM
I wouldn't even walk up behind a dog and just grab it like that.  :x

No, and that's common sense... startle a dog like that and it will bite your dumb ass! That's the thing that's getting me... there is NO WAY I can see rational people making the conscious decision to do what they did. It's on par with the drunk guy who sees a rattlesnake and says "watch this..."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And the whole "we can do whatever we want because it's a PRANK" attitude is sickening. Also, the lying about being on MTV. I hope they get into serious legal trouble.

Q. G. Pennyworth

This smells like "this is an okay way for male friends to interact with female friends, so I should be allowed to do this to female strangers."

The more I look at stuff like this the more it feels like the men involved cannot wrap their heads around the idea that women might be okay with or even seeking interaction from someone in particular and not them. I mean, it's what the short skirt argument boils down to: "she wanted to be noticed sexually by someone so she must have wanted sexual attention from me."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on August 11, 2013, 07:19:51 PM
This smells like "this is an okay way for male friends to interact with female friends, so I should be allowed to do this to female strangers."

The more I look at stuff like this the more it feels like the men involved cannot wrap their heads around the idea that women might be okay with or even seeking interaction from someone in particular and not them. I mean, it's what the short skirt argument boils down to: "she wanted to be noticed sexually by someone so she must have wanted sexual attention from me."

Yeah, that exact argument showed up in the comments section of the video. "Their boyfriends probably do this to them all the time, therefore it's OK for total strangers to do it to them".

I suspect that the men who think that way essentially see women as interchangeable nonpeople, and assume that women think the same way about men. Inasmuch as they think about women's motivations at all.

Triple Zero

actually doesn't that particular instance also put the men in a role of interchangeable nonpeople? ("if boyfriend can do it, anyone can do it")

not that that makes it make any more sense.

no, no sense.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 11, 2013, 07:38:18 PM
actually doesn't that particular instance also put the men in a role of interchangeable nonpeople? ("if boyfriend can do it, anyone can do it")

not that that makes it make any more sense.

no, no sense.

Yes, that seems to be what they are assuming; that women think of men as interchangeable nonpeople, because that's basically how they see women.

The Johnny

interpersonal boundaries? how do they work?

although its in a place where one wouldnt fear an abduction, its basicly a bad excuse for some retard to rub his junk against your body

how would it make them feel to get picked up by gay body builders who were just "picking up guys"?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner