News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

CIA/ISI disrupting Pakistani peace talks again?

Started by Cain, August 22, 2013, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Pakistan announces negotiations with the Tehrik-i-Taliban this morning:

QuoteA senior Pakistani Taliban commander has welcomed the government's recent offer to hold peace talks.

Asmatullah Muawiya said in a statement Thursday that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif demonstrated political maturity by reiterating his offer to hold peace negotiations in a speech over the weekend.

A senior Pakistani Taliban commander then gets iced by IED:

QuoteA Pakistani Taliban commander believed to be harbouring foreign militants was killed along with four others in a roadside bomb explosion in South Waziristan tribal agency, officials said Thursday.

Ghulam Jan, believed to be a key commander of the outlawed Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), was killed along with four accomplices when the improvised explosive device targeted his vehicle on Wednesday evening in Birmal tehsil, located about 27 kilometres from Wana, the main town in South Waziristan.

And this is hardly the first time that this has occured.  After the CIA went on their revenge mission for the Khost CIA post suicide attacks, the Pakistani Taliban withdrew from peace talks with Sharif's newly elected government.

It seems being a Taliban commander is especially dangerous when talk of peace is in the air.  Funny, that.

McGrupp

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Junkenstein

QuoteBut the Taliban withdrew their offer to negotiate at the end of May after the group's deputy commander was killed in a U.S. drone strike.

Muawiya praised the government's decision Sunday to halt all state executions temporarily, just days ahead of the planned hangings of several al-Qaida-linked militants. He threatened in an interview with The Associated Press last week that the Taliban would target the leaders of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-N if the militants were hanged.

The prime minister "strengthened the wish of peace by suspending punishment for prisoners," said Muawiya.

From the above and a little reading around, I'm thinking that an unstable situation in Pakistan is probably the goal. Cain's raised the point in other threads that it makes more sense to discreetly watch the region continue to be shitty and then clean up the mess later. I assume the role of the CIA in the region is largely devoted to balancing power in various factions as much as actual intelligence gathering. Encourage talks then sour them. Repeat until no militants left or the next generations have taken over so you can retire. Stable instability also seems to allow for the greatest degree of unspoken profits in many areas also. Got to give the politicians something to talk about when making arms deals.

That last point was a little spurious, but I'd bet there's something in that. Pretty much any politician abroad is there to sell something. In the middle east or Africa it's often weapons. Several western economies are built around weapons manufacture and export. When was the last time you heard about a major arms manufacture talking about the recession and how business is bad? Lockheed or BAE need any bailouts? No. Partly because foreign sales are guaranteed by the taxpayer but that's a different bag of shit.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.