News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

meandering thoughts about the state of government in america

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, February 21, 2013, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

1. Fuck government agencies and services that refer to me as a "Customer" or a "Client." Fuck you. I am not a customer, and you are not a business. This kind of shit is perverse. It leads to people thinking that government should be run like a business, which is bullshit. And it removes a person's sense of civic duty and participation. If I'm just a "Customer," then the only time I should be interested in what the government is doing is when I am buying something from it, and that's also bullshit.

2. For fuck's sake, would the politicians please get a grip on themselves? Look, I understand that being reelected is the only thing they're concerned about. Fixing big problems is risky, and it's hard work, and the political class has evolved a genetic aversion to doing anything difficult. But if they're going to beat around the bush on every little god damned thing, they could at least try to hide the pageantry and posturing.

3. Sheriff Joe Arpaio. That's all.

4. Arizona's state legislature is trying to craft a bill that would throw federal officials in jail for trying to enforce any kind of gun control legislation within AZ borders. Because "State Sovereignty," of course. 10th AMENDMENT! RAH! But they are also wringing their hands and scouring through piles of legal books and judicial precedent, trying to discover new and interesting ways to acquiesce to more and more obscure federal authority on the subject of medical marijuana. Which is weird, because I thought they believed in state sovereignty. Huh.

5. Why is the Full Faith and Credit clause not applicable to marriage rights? I'm sure there's a train full of reasons, but it smells like bullshit to me.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

The 10th amendment is nice, but they seem to be forgetting article VI.  The question here is whether or not gun control is legal, not whether or not a state can interfere in the legitimate business of the federal government.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.