News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

CATCH 22

Started by Slarti, May 10, 2004, 09:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

i mean, honestly, when you think about it, TV really sucks. here's a list of stuff i'd watch:

Rocko's Modern Life (from Nickelodeon a long time ago)
Carnivale (an HBO show, it was REALLY good)
EWTN( the eternal word television network. my local bible channel. it's pretty funny)

besides that, TV pretty much sucks. the only movies i can think of that have come out in the last 5 years that i like are:

Napoleon Dynamite (in theaters now, looks really funny.)
Office Space (i think that was in '99)- very funny
Pirates of the Carribean- johnny depp can act!
Kill Bill (1 and 2)- tarantino is awesome.

i'm probably missing something. the LoTR movies were okay, but i think they got too much hype. also, every time i read the trilogy, i like it less. compared to books i've read since, it has cardboard characters with no character development. and the pure GOOD vs EVIL thing was annoying.
i like books like DUNE where good and evil are relative (except for the BENE GESSERIT HAGS!!! they were bitches)

gnimbley

I loved Dune the first time I read it. I loved the concept of seeding societies with myths to be exploited in emergencies.

When I tried to read it last year I couldn't get past the first scene. I was terribly bored. Went and read The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents instead. Much more fun.

Only thing I watch on TV any more - except when I am at someone's house and they are watching soaps or cartoons or Dr. Phil or such - is local sports. Even then I only watch enough to know if a team is doing good or not. Except the Colts. I watch the Indy Coltts. I know. It's almost unforgivable. So shoot me.

I am with you on movie. Movies used to be so much fun. Now, most of them are corporate designed, demographically targeted, special effects crap. Only the dramas are worthwhile, and most of them are too depressing. The best films I have seen lately have been at art houses. Winged Migration was good. But the best film lately was Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time. It's a portrait of an artist. Fascinating. It is still circulating at art houses. The DVD is supposed to be out in the fall.

Slarti

Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is a great book.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: MedeoOr imperative verb form
actualy this he would answer... but MTS#777 is right, he didn't talk much.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

eighteen buddha strike

Dune is awesome, I've read the book at least half a dozen times.
Catch 22 is awesome, I've read the book at least half a dozen times.

The Silmarillion is awesome, but I've never had the patience to finish it.

Colonel Failure

Herbert Kicks Tolkien's Ass.

Deep in the human subconcious is a pervasive need for a locical and orderly universe.

But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
All I knew, all I believed
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Scramble to reach higher ground,
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

I take what is mine, and hold what is mine,
Suffocate what is mine, and bury what's mine.
Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,
And climb to a new place now.

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
In the lies, the lies, the lies that shape your world?
Do you believe
In your own, your own, fictitious immortality?

The world won't end while you walk the earth
And when you realize that your life don't matter
You'll turn to something to help you forget
That you're only young once, old forever

And we become what we hate
(Don't think of us)

-Screeching Weasel, What We Hate[/size][/color]

Doktor Howl

This thread is why PD sucked prior to the revolution.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My god. Were they all children?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 17, 2015, 01:14:53 AM
My god. Were they all children?

Nope.  Most were in their 20s.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I'm old enough to think that qualifies.

Cain

I'm 29 and I think that qualifies.

LMNO

Brother Mythos

Anyone who has read and enjoyed Catch-22 may enjoy reading it's mid-nineteenth century predecessor, Herman Melville's White-Jacket; or, The World in a Man-of-War (1850).

You can download it for free from several internet sites, including this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10712

I'm unaware of anyone else having made a comparison between the two novels. But, I doubt many people have read anything of Melville's other than Moby-Dick; or, The Whale (1851).

Anyway, for those of you familiar with the many absurdities of military life, you may, or may not, be surprised to learn that things haven't changed much since Melville's day.

Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.