News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

What is Chi?

Started by Kai, October 26, 2008, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

The impression I have gathered is that ki (the Japanese term) carries the meaning of breath as well as subtle energy or what have you, whereas qi is not necessarily breath.

Coordinating breath with movement is pretty standard martial arts practice.

Furthermore, in Chinese martial arts I have never heard of using qi to make one's attacks more powerful (except maybe with pressure point strikes), whereas I have heard of using jing (internal power, which is cultivated through training, and not to be confused with the jing of the Three Treasures of Daoism) in such a way.

minuspace

I tend to use Chi and Ki interchangeably.  Dismissing the difference of breathing tek?, I would say that what they both have in common is intentionality or 'directendness'.  I asked the same question about moving the ki and what I took away was that it is inherently directed (to its object), like an arrow, and the execution of motor-intentionality presupposes a resolute alignment with the target of this 'ki arrow'...  (I'm tired)

Nurse Enabler

Quote from: Kai on October 26, 2008, 04:18:00 PM
I don't know if we've ever had a thread about this on here, but I thought I might bring it up because of the very different filters that other people have around here, different perspectives and different ideas.

So what is Chi? Is it actual manipulation of internal energy? Is it some sort of psychosomatic effect? Something is going on when I visualize chi manipulation and while I'm going with psychosomatic right now, I would like to hear other peoples opinions about it. There also seems to be some deep health benefits of the sustained practice of Chi Gung, what is that from? I hear stories about older people, well into their 70s, who were once in poor health and after several months of chi gung practice have recovered from intense arthritis, and so on.
I don't know anything about this chi gung stuff. But I did do TAI ChI for a few years. I felt much better and still practice some of what I learned.
Tell me you love me.  Don't make me get the box cutters.

Telarus

Kai,

I just went back and read through this whole thread, and I have to say this is one of my favorite discussions on this board.

Thank you.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

I still intend to read it, one day. It took off way too fast when it started and I'm afraid of adding things that have been chewed to death already (plus I'm pretty sure a lot of other ITT are more knowledgeable on the subject than me anyway).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Armond

Try reading some of the stuff Here --> http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?board=13.0
hope that helps
There are no ordinary moments.

Kai

Quote from: Armond on September 06, 2010, 09:00:28 PM
Try reading some of the stuff Here --> http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?board=13.0
hope that helps

I read a few of those posts. Some of it seems quite reasonable, the rest seems like assumptions and speculation without evidence.

Perhaps you would like to summarize the stuff worth reading?

ETA: It also seems to include many posts which take Chi as a literal "universal energy" rather than a metaphor, which is just the opposite of any experience that I have had, as well as the general comments I've seen in this thread.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Telarus

Quote from: Telarus on November 10, 2008, 01:33:37 AM
The quote from the above article was just a little snippet taken out of their closing. The entire article is really worth reading thro. They have correlated Ki activity with energy in the near-infrared range, and produced repeatable effects involving bouncing it with mirrors.

Here's an earlier study by the same people from 2006:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1475930

Bump.

This 'wacky' idea keeps coming up.

http://www.livescience.com/health/090722-body-glow.html

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Kai

Question: Does Chi change the body light emission?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

minuspace

everyman has his techniques...  wait till you see my digital counter :gheyforum: ;-)

Telarus

Do you actually want to contribute to this topic? 'Cause the noise is just getting to be a droning buzz at this point.
Telarus, KSC,

Kai

I can believe that someone would emit visible light in the red range (just above infrared). Not anything luminous enough to be detectable with human eyes but still EM radiation above 390 nm.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So in some sense... we have an aura.

I don't think its likely that the pro-aura folks actually were talking about this phenomena... but it may well explain how some animals 'detect' tumors or 'see' when a patient is going to have a seizure.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Rat, you're redefining a word that most commonly has a different meaning that the one you're ascribing to it.

You should really read the LessWrong sequences.  He has a bit about that.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on October 28, 2010, 08:51:57 PM
Rat, you're redefining a word that most commonly has a different meaning that the one you're ascribing to it.

You should really read the LessWrong sequences.  He has a bit about that.

Well, that's why I said "in some sense..." . I wasn't defending the newage concept. After all, I find it difficult to come up with any kind of argument about how someone could detect this with their hands or eyes ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson