News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Scientology?

Started by Rev. Mondo Anvil, January 17, 2015, 03:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You know, actually, never mind. I don't think I care. But I do have another question; are you new to the Internet, or were you just in a coma or perhaps under a rock in 2006 and 2007?

I'm kinda trying to figure out where you're coming from, and partly wondering if you're actually trolling.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I know about the Anonymous campaign, and I've read a lot of Arnie Lerma and xenu.net.

I'm not trolling. I actually wanted to know what you thought about Everyone's Favorite Crazies™.

So, enough about me. Share your thoughts!
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 17, 2015, 11:26:40 PM
Like, I know it's a horrible scam that's ruined the lives of many people, but it's done so well I have to applaud.

Do you applaud Nazis as well, then? I mean, that was a scam that ruined the lives of millions.

If you applaud the suffering of others, in any form, then maybe there's something about yourself that needs some introspection and close examination.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

Also, brainwashing isn't exactly difficult.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 18, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
I know about the Anonymous campaign, and I've read a lot of Arnie Lerma and xenu.net.

I'm not trolling. I actually wanted to know what you thought about Everyone's Favorite Crazies™.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 18, 2015, 12:32:18 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on January 17, 2015, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2015, 11:36:45 PM
Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 17, 2015, 11:26:40 PM
Like, I know it's a horrible scam that's ruined the lives of many people, but it's done so well I have to applaud.

Why this one scam in particular?

Asking in general, or do you want the OP's opinion?

I was asking him, but if you want to reply with your own take on it, I'd be interested in that too.

I think I've mentioned here before that I was heavily involved in the Anonymous vs. Scientology thing. My initial reasons for getting interested and then diving in had much more to do with Anonymous itself than the target, but as I got deeper into it and fell into the role of propagandist I needed to do my homework on Scientology.

The initial points that brought Anonymous and Scientology into conflict were how seriously Scientology took their bullshit and how vicious they were about shutting up people who tried to expose their bullshit to the public. Critics of Scientology have been subject to insanity that makes conspiracy theorists go "now wait a minute..." and news outlets that have published stories that paint Scientology in a poor light have been sued for literally every sentence of the article. Mormons, JWs, Catholics, any religion you want to point to as a "why not them?" does not do that kind of crap these days, either because they do not have the resources or the will to do so.

The abuses within the church mostly fall on the mentally ill and the members of the Sea Org. Scientologists (like some other religions) don't believe that mental illness is a thing and believe with all their hearts that psychiatry is the devil and psychiatrists are responsible for the holocaust and I am not shitting you. There have been cases of children within the church being denied access to psychiatric care, sometimes resulting in deaths. There is at least one documented case of an adult Scientologist having a mental health crisis and being held against her will, resulting in her death. It's not a unique form of shitty shitty crappy, but it is one more thing to throw on the pile of stuff Scientology gets wrong. The Sea Org is Scientology's private navy that only has one boat and mostly acts as slave labor. People are paid pennies a day, their movements are closely monitored, and they're kept in cramped, unhealthy conditions. If you fuck up in the Sea Org, you're sent into the Rehabilitation Project Force, where you may find yourself inside a locked compound doing manual labor under even worse conditions and little to no contact with the outside world. Members of the Sea Org sign a billion year contract, many of them are minors as young as 12 when they sign up.

Children in Scientology get pretty royally fucked by the experience. Hubbard had some specific ideas about education that sound kind of okay if simplistic at first, but when you see them put into action it's some of the worst teaching methodology you're likely to see anywhere. If a student misunderstands something, it's because they misunderstood one of the words, and they need to go back through the text until they find their MU and look it up in a dictionary. If they get through the whole thing and looked up every word and still don't get it, they have to go make clay models of the concept until they get it. Again, not the worst thing that any religion has ever done, and while the MU and clay models thing is pretty unique, the wholesale omission of math and sciences has a lot in common with whack job Christian homeschooling.

Scientology has the Office of Special Affairs, formerly the Guardian's Office, which is tasked with ruining the lives of people who threaten Scientology and keeping the flock in line. Hubbard and Scientology's love of memos and record keeping means there is a long and incriminating trail of paperwork documenting the creation of the Guardians Office and its transition to OSA and all of the terrible things that OSA is expected to do. I do not know of any other religion that has its own secret police. It's pretty monumentally fucked.

As a money making scheme, Scientology beats every religion running. Every time one of the books is opened in their Orgs, every time they perform a real auditing session (not the stress tests on the street), every course a Scientologist takes, that money is funneled directly to the top. The Ideal Org scheme is particularly odious, as local Scientology communities are expected to purchase large properties, renovate them at their own expense, then open up the Ideal Org and sign the property over to the top brass for free. The money goes to fancy parties for rich people and printing new copies of existing materials that Scientologists will have to buy and redo all their courses for new certificates to keep up, which all costs them more money.

I don't think Scientology is the worst or even most dangerous thing out there right now. I do think the combination of actual physical danger to a minority of their members, significant financial bullshit, and attacking critics like woah makes them a valid target of ridicule and protests.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was familiar with most of the details from my own research, except for the educational methods, which sound terrible.

Doktor Howl

No.

This is not North Korea.  This is AMERICA.  We expect to be paid for those thoughts, same as LMNO expects to be paid for being a Big Gay Cowboy, and I expect to be paid when I randomly eject an organ for the amusement of the crowd.

Oh, wait.  We DID tell you our opinion, and you ignored it because we weren't agreeing with you on the genius of tormenting and/or preying on the weakest members of society.

Molon Lube

Rev. Mondo Anvil

To Mr. Pennyworth:

My sentiments exactly.

And no, I don't like the Nazis. I just think that the way Scientology works is mind-numbingly stupid while being devilishly clever all at once. That's why I'm interested in them.
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 19, 2015, 01:57:35 PM

No.

This is not North Korea.  This is AMERICA.  We expect to be paid for those thoughts, same as LMNO expects to be paid for being a Big Gay Cowboy, and I expect to be paid when I randomly eject an organ for the amusement of the crowd.

Oh, wait.  We DID tell you our opinion, and you ignored it because we weren't agreeing with you on the genius of tormenting and/or preying on the weakest members of society.

This.

In addition, I kindly provided him with a link so that he could easily locate our past discussions on this topic, which he ignored.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 03:33:38 PM

No.

This.

In addition, I kindly provided him with a link so that he could easily locate our past discussions on this topic, which he ignored.

TELL ME YOUR OPINIONS!
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 19, 2015, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 03:33:38 PM

No.

This.

TELL ME YOUR OPINIONS!

If he really wants a shitty regime to admire, he should look into Pol Pot.

Or maybe check out Fundamentalist Mormonism, now there's a racket.

I just think he could do better.

FWIW, Anvil, in order to have an "inner evil genius", you have to first have genius.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 19, 2015, 03:26:48 PM
To Mr. Pennyworth:

:lulz:

He isn't even vaguely bothering to read the rest of the board and get to know us. I call troll.