News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

New Wikia page -- looking for more

Started by Arafelis, June 09, 2009, 02:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arafelis

I started a new page over at http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Fallacies and was hoping for some contributions, especially from the philosophically literate.  It's a general description of what a fallacy is (and isn't), followed by a list and advice on how to use each in jamming.

Besides adding or improving content, I think it'd be just spiffy if folks 'edited down' any overly-academic language.  I don't think there's any there now, but if I did, then I would have changed it; so clearly my opinion on the matter is irrelevant.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Cain

Arafelis

Yeah, but none of that stuff tells you when and how to use them.

Edit: Although I am amused how similar my overview is to that one.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Cain

I would have thought a description alone is telling you how to use it.

QuoteThis fallacy is committed when it is concluded that a person's claim is false because 1) it is inconsistent with something else a person has said or 2) what a person says is inconsistent with her actions. This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
   2. Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
   3. Therefore X is false.

Seems pretty much how to use it, to me.

Arafelis

There's absolutely no advice provided as to when and how you ought to use the fallacy, merely a description of what it looks like when it is.

That's like giving someone a knife and showing them a picture of a stab wound when they ask how to fight with it.

Cain

Well yes, if we want to treat people like complete idiots.

Personally, I think if you don't have an idea of when or how to deploy such an argument, then you shouldn't be allowed out on your own, or allowed to hold sharp objects.  But since you seem to want to write the For Dummies version....

http://coolhaus.de/art-of-controversy/

Arafelis

Quote...jedoch um Mißverstand zu vermeiden, »Eristische Dialektik« nenne will.

Now there's something beautiful.  And ironic.

Triple Zero

you didnt know about the links posted by Fomenter and Cain, and also not heard about Schopenhauers Art of Controversy, and you're trying to write an article about fallacies?

I really would suggest you read the Art of Controversy. It's not very long, rather entertaining (IMO) and pretty useful.

Actually I will add it to that "essential discordian reading" list.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

MMIX

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 09, 2009, 03:40:11 PM
you didnt know about the links posted by Fomenter and Cain, and also not heard about Schopenhauers Art of Controversy, and you're trying to write an article about fallacies?

I really would suggest you read the Art of Controversy. It's not very long, rather entertaining (IMO) and pretty useful.

Actually I will add it to that "essential discordian reading" list.

" essential discordian reading " - now that's funny . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

MMIX

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 09, 2009, 04:58:54 PM
I mean the list Skieth asked for.

. . . no need to be so defensive - I'm not trying to troll you. I've got to say though grinning about the very idea of essential discordian reading has much enlivened an afternoon otherwise memorable only for dusting vacuuming and mislaying one of my dogs
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber