News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Hacks, Kludges & Other Such Tomfoolery

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, April 26, 2010, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: JBookup on February 11, 2014, 10:15:10 PM
Lol. Hilarious. I guess I can elaborate. It's not solely just what it means that affected my judgement. It was a multitude of things that caught my attention. Starting with it's meaning being principles of disorder. Just that in itself somehow calls to me. Then I find out its a book and I'm immediately impressed and I can tell that this is a book that of read and understood properly it would teach value and affect ones views. Value and views that I'm certain parallel mine. And that is what the name of this website is, awesome. Then I read the topics of discussion and everything is in one way or another relevant to my interests.

You should definitely stick around.

Do not check out the pool on the roof. I mean, you can if you want. But check out the Black Iron Prison and the Chao Te Ching for sure.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just to ask the obvious, why would any would-be encryptor provide a result that was meaningless upon de-encryption?

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Do you mean why would I offer meaningless strings that fit that text? I was trying to illustrate that even with a simple known cipher, where each letter becomes the same symbol each time, that string could have a multitude of meanings, many of which are totally sensible statements.

When we start to consider letter pairs being represented by symbols and symbols changing meaning depending on their place in the string, that sample given could decrypt into, at its most trivial, any sequence of characters of equal length. Many ciphers simply remove spaces and let those be added in manually after the decryption, so if you can think of a series of words with the same number of letters as that string, it's just as good a solution as any, given the information we have so far. A more complex encryption method which also allows for compression of the message would allow that string to represent a much longer statement, but gives us no clue as to whether the statement is "All hail Eris, all hail Discordia" or "This sentence is encrypted." and I'm sure we could come up with a series of steps that converts either of those two statements into the sample given.

Faust

Quote from: Pæs on February 12, 2014, 06:54:14 AM
If the cipher doesn't shift at all as it progresses, there are dozens of potential strings that fit that pattern. I am choosing to believe that the string is "urban.ephesus.com" or "enjoy.aliases.com".

When he says he only encrypted the alphabet, though, it sounds as though we're not working with a cipher that can handle a dot?

We can sit here and endlessly offer suggestions that fit the string but if newguy doesn't know himself what the string is, we have no way to confirm and too small a sample to reverse engineer the process used to create the string. Similarly I can tell you that 8SFO{ is an encrypted string, but that doesn't give you anywhere near enough information to do anything with it.

He could confirm it by running his encryption method on the suggestions we post assuming there output would always be static (no salting or hashing?) but yeah, this is probably not going to get any kind of result.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Yeah, if the relationship worked in reverse, but the inclusion of numbers in the ciphertext suggests that there isn't a two-way relationship here. Does he have the encryption program? I thought his buddy just gave him the ciphertext?

Faust

He said he made the encryption, but maybe it isn't on his machine?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

JBookup

Thank you for welcoming me. Man I'm so confused. I have no idea what any of you are talking about. The best I can tell you is there is no dots or spaces. It is strictly a-z. I would like to take your samples and convert them but it would give away too much because its a set in stone key. There is no variation.

A=
B=
C=
Etc.

But I do believe I can make an algorithm that would allow sample testing. Though it would be still set in stone, but with multiple letters having the same encrypted counterpart.

LMNO

So you're doing a 1-to-1 substitution cypher?  That is, each "real" letter corresponds with a single symbol or character, without changing?

That's one of the easiest codes to crack by brute force, given enough of a sample size.  Your example "p3gdo^ubjucpc^2dq" may not be large enough, but given enough examples of the code, I'm pretty sure it can be cracked. 

Unless you're using a twist you're not telling us about?

JBookup

Okay so this seems ridiculously simple to me, and only took about 1 min to write. But ill post it anyways. So imma post the original string in this new method then anyone can ask for me to write their sample in it too.

JBookup

That's why I was worried about the brute force thing but after given some thought if I wrote out a different string and incorporated numbers,letters, or symbols that are not encrpyted and plugged them in randomly it would take a lot of work to figure out which ones need to be changed and which ones stay the same.

Example: k^dg6ks2a0$9gcsf

LMNO

So, the symbols you're randomly inserting into the cypher are the same symbols used when coding the message?

In other words, "All Hail Discordia" is "Akll Ha3diL Disc0rejdiqwa"?

How is the legitimate receiver of this message supposed to know which symbols are to be skipped, if you're putting them in at random?

JBookup

It could be numbers, symbols, or letters that need to be skipped. This is for encrypting passwords and what not to make it impossible for them to decrypt. Now if me and someone were exchanging encrypted messages. Obviously that other person would have the key and would be able to figure out what doesn't belong. Also these are not programs, I know nothing of those sort of things, though very soon will be trying for I have an ingenious idea. But for the time being these are written out on paper and calculated in my head.

LMNO

Back up.  This is a way to make stronger passwords?

Oh.  That's different.

Two things to note:

And

LMNO

See, unless you're guessing that the user will tend towards certain passwords more than others, someone trying to hack a password isn't seeing "p3gdo^ubjucpc^2dq", they're seeing "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", where "x" can be literally any letter, number, or symbol.  So it doesn't matter if you have some wonderful technique for scrambling a password, unless you're really, really bad at coming up with unscrambled passwords.