News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Unlimited How Not to Be a Fat Fucky Bastard thread: now 100% more fat free

Started by Doktor Howl, April 16, 2010, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Using this post for motivation, I too have made good progress.  Down from (roughly) 180 to (exactly) 173 since this was first posted.  Now I'm not fat, but I maintain a bit of a gut.  Any tips on how to proceed?  Or, do I just do more of the same?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Siggy, you are a slim little thing!

I am also gut-prone, which is why I have to lose these last few pounds. It's slower going than I wanted but I'm down to 138, finally.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 25, 2010, 06:27:36 AM
Using this post for motivation, I too have made good progress.  Down from (roughly) 180 to (exactly) 173 since this was first posted.  Now I'm not fat, but I maintain a bit of a gut.  Any tips on how to proceed?  Or, do I just do more of the same?

I think that it's a lifestyle thing at this point.  Look around, and see if there's something you can change permanently and still be happy with (stop drinking beer at lunch, to take a personal example).  Doing a temporary diet might have some results, but the benefits probably don't outweigh (heh) effort.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Down to 136, w00t! The last ten pounds are such a bitch.

The best (and actually, only) way I've found personally to combat the lingering gut, if you are so blessed as to be a person who tends to store fat in their belly, is not just cutting calories but adding exercise, particularly aerobic exercise like walking, hiking, and swimming. 1-2 hours 3 times a week will burn at least 1200 calories and build muscle.

The gut is very bad; us apple-shaped people don't have the luxury of hiding ten extra pounds in our asses; instead it accumulates up around our organs and puts us at risk for heart disease. I tell people that I'm trying to lose ten pounds, and they say "you look great, you don't need to lose ten pounds" but it's not about how I LOOK, it's about the fact that I'm a hypertensive with arrhythmia and the fat in my abdomen is going to kill me if I don't get rid of it.

Gonna be sorry if I lose the fabulous boobies while I'm at it, but oh well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev. Dr. Narot

I've been dieting since February, and have put off about 35 pounds so far. This guide is a fucking amazing, ingenius, and properly written diet guide. I'm hovering around my mid-way point for weight loss, and read the guide yesterday. Signed up for the gym this morning, and put my ass on the elliptical machine for an hour.

I like that it frames the responsibility directly at the person, rather than beating around the bush to be nice. My new mantra, you're fat because you eat too fucking much and exercise too little.

Have a few friends that persistently ask about how I manage to diet, yet perpetually never actually do what you need to lose weight. I think I'm going to just hand copies of this guide to them rather than waste the breath on explanations...  :argh!:
"The only person I hate more than you, is myself, asshole."

Suu

Some of the crankiness and soreness can be helped if you take a daily vitamin. I learned this the last time I seriously dieted, and since it appears that I've gotten that fat again, I need to do it again.

My big issue is that because of my work schedule and lack of groceries in my house other than non-dairy coffee creamer and yogurt, I only eat really one meal a day, which is AWFUL for you. I do make it an issue to eat a yogurt as soon as I get up though for the conservation mode reasons. My fruit of choice for breakfast is a banana. Why? Like Dok says, the potassium will trick your hunger for a while, not to mention it's VITAL if you're on your feet all day in food service or retail since it helps control leg cramps. Hopefully once this month's bills are paid and I have more solid grasp of my finances through this job, I'll be signing up for the gym again, because I really miss it, and I was feeling GREAT.

Nigel is also correct about spending time outside. Let your body make that Vitamin D! And walking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I've stopped taking the bus transfer up College Hill here in Providence unless it's pouring rain, and I walk up and down that treacherous hill every damn day I work. My legs bitch and moan, but I know in a few weeks It'll start paying off. It's actually already starting to work on my core muscles since it's so steep. Have you ever seen a fat RISD student?! No. They have to climb up and down that damn hill all year.

I can't take a lot of calcium supplements because they milled from crustacean and mollusk shells, which I'm allergic to, so that's part of the reason why I eat a daily yogurt and certain cheeses.

And for the love of god, do NOT give up fats entirely. Really cut them down, but if you go on a no-fat diet, your brain will not be happy and it adds to the crankiness. Your body needs it for proper brain function, and most low-fat or no-fat foods replace natural fats with SUGARS, which turns into the bad kinds of fat.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

I heard someone say once the best exercise is pushing yourself away from the dinner table.

Salty

A cheap and easy way to get a christ-ton of good nutrients in your belly first thing in the morning:
-1 banana
-1 several handfulls of baby spinach, as much as you want.
-enough water (I like plain almond milk) for consitency.

Blend. You won't taste any spinach and it's gone in a flash.
Who needs salad?

I also add chocolate protein powder, but I'm made of mostly gristle. 
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Requia ☣

Ok, question on the calories per day thing.  The calories per day the daily plate says for maintaining weight is incredibly high, getting under it it pissantly easy.  So my question is, whats the minimum I can eat (after taking calories burned in exercise into account) per day and still be healthy?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 18, 2010, 05:29:15 AM
Ok, question on the calories per day thing.  The calories per day the daily plate says for maintaining weight is incredibly high, getting under it it pissantly easy.  So my question is, whats the minimum I can eat (after taking calories burned in exercise into account) per day and still be healthy?

Depends a lot on your size, but if you're about my size (5'3", optimum weight of 125-130) you shouldn't go below 1200 calories/day. Take a multivitamin if you go that low!

I'm currently 8 lbs above my goal weight, and have slowed down on weight loss; aiming for 4lbs/month.

Eater of Clowns

Dok lost two pounds while eating pasty pies last week.  It can only be reasonably concluded that pasty pies are a weight loss tool.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Burn up more calories than you take in.  The only proven diet.

Salads for lunch, cereal with semi-skimmed milk for breakfast, non-fizzy drinks with substitute sugar, plenty of water and running up and down hills constantly will aid you in this goal.

LMNO

I seem to have a standing wave of a two-pound weight loss/gain. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 28, 2010, 08:13:24 PM
I seem to have a standing wave of a two-pound weight loss/gain. 

That's probably based on when you took a shit.  Seriously.

I average my weight over the week, preferably after dropping a horrible bomb in the gym's bathroom.
Molon Lube