News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Pros and Cons of Optimism/Pessimism...

Started by maphdet, March 13, 2011, 02:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maphdet

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Jasper

maphdet

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Salty

They both lead to a sterile, fruitless, grooved way of thinking that I avoid whenever possible.

Excuse my lack of subtly:

An optimist comes across a brick wall in the middle of the road, blocking his path. He smashes his head into it over and over again sure that he will get through eventually.

A pessimist comes to the same wall, turns around and goes home.

A realist finds a way around the wall or a way to remove it.

A DISCORDIAN is the motherfucker who put a wall in the middle of the god damned road.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Sexecutioner Chao Tight

Quote from: Alty on March 13, 2011, 02:48:34 AM
They both lead to a sterile, fruitless, grooved way of thinking that I avoid whenever possible.

Excuse my lack of subtly:

An optimist comes across a brick wall in the middle of the road, blocking his path. He smashes his head into it over and over again sure that he will get through eventually.

A pessimist comes to the same wall, turns around and goes home.

A realist finds a way around the wall or a way to remove it.

A DISCORDIAN is the motherfucker who put a wall in the middle of the god damned road.
This.
Or... an optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass half empty.  A realist knows that there is no way to change the amount of water with out displacing some matter already there.  A discordian dumps out whatever is in said glass, fills it with alcoholic beverage of choice and proceeds to have a good time.  :monkeydance:
High Priestess of the First Church of the Burnt Lizard.  Protector of Chickens.

Captain Utopia

Phox

Quote from: maphdet on March 13, 2011, 02:46:30 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on March 13, 2011, 02:33:27 AM
Optimism is a con.

Why?
Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but I think Siggie's saying that optimism is a confidence trick.  :lulz:

Salty

Quote from: Captain Utopia on March 13, 2011, 06:24:54 AM
Discordians are all of the above.

RIVERS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF NONBELEIV- uh, I mean I thought that was implied.  :mrgreen:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Subtract Eight!

Tricks are the best illusions. or soemthing
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sexecutioner Chao Tight on March 13, 2011, 03:45:15 AM

Or... an optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass half empty.  A realist knows that there is no way to change the amount of water with out displacing some matter already there.  A discordian dumps out whatever is in said glass, fills it with alcoholic beverage of choice and proceeds to have a good time.  :monkeydance:

No.

The realist says "The water is probably full of arsenic".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

I'd like to hear about pros of pessimism, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Had this conversation with a habitual pessimist recently. I told him,

Look, both the optimist and the pessimist have got it wrong. The optimist is habitually ignorant of horrible things in reality and therefore will do nothing about them, yes, but the pessimist is habitually and terminally MISERABLE, and that misery prevents action as well. Neither one has a balanced view of reality. Better just to scrap value judgments and look at reality first. Neither ignorance nor misery are particularly interesting.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Subtract Eight!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR