News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Ingress

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2013, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

This is a really well put together app.

Oh, it's made by a Google Startup. I hadn't realised that and was amazed at the quality of the UI.

Pæs

I bet this game is giving Google all sorts of awesome data about unmapped traversable areas and the like.

Cramulus

Quote from: Pæs on July 19, 2013, 12:36:03 PM
I bet this game is giving Google all sorts of awesome data about unmapped traversable areas and the like.

oh yeah, and your GPS coordinates are probably being pipelined right to PRISM, but that's probably happening anyway

They have really only begun to monetize, so it hasn't gone down the shitter yet.  :p

So far, they have been making money by allowing select commercial locations to be portals. For example, Zipcar, Duane Reade, and Jamba Juices are typically Ingress portals. Look for the sticker on the front of any Duane Reade.

I wonder how much foot traffic it drives in. I'm sure more businesses will come.

So the two teams are technically called "Enlightened" (green) and "Resistance" (blue).

Here's why you should join the green team

1. They're the underdogs. Far less green team players. So it's an uphill battle for us.

2. In the game plot, portals are these mysterious points that are leaking "exotic matter", or XM energy (basically the stuff that makes up your health bar). The difference between the teams is that the Resistance thinks the portals should basically be shut down, and the Enlightened team embraces them, believing that they are gates for these benevolent aliens called Shapers.

The game hasn't revealed much about the shapers. They might be aliens, they might be a mind virus. Some of the game clues suggest that they infiltrated humanity zillions of years ago and gave us the alphabet and taught us to think creatively. But I have concluded that they are the green shapeshifting reptile invaders that David Icke and Wiolawa were warning us about. So HELL YES, can I be on the alien reptile infiltrator from space team?

McGrupp

This might be the first time I've ever been sad that my cell phone only makes and receives phone calls.

trippinprincezz13

This looks wicked cool. Hoping to switch from iphone to Android sooner than later, and this is just another reason to. In the meantime, I will have to resign myself to hiding out near geocachers and shaking my fist at any searchers that come by  :sad:

Probably my favorite thing about geocaching is that it has helped me to discover trails and parks, etc. that may never have known existed before, and as you mentioned, this sounds like it helps to accomplish the same goals. And while there are geocaching events held, this game sounds like it would help expand interaction and socializing a bit more.

And yea, you can't hide from all the danger, so might as well get out and have fun (while employing reasonable caution). Would really like to try this out soon.

There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Q. G. Pennyworth

why won't they iPhone?  :cry:

Cramulus

somebody made an iphone port of it, but I don't know anything about it.

http://ios-ingress.com/

Pæs

I'm almost level two, having just casually hacked the few portals which are in range of my couch (kind of not the point, but oh well). I saw the portal outside my work change from green to white today and ran out to capture it back before the attacker deployed his resonators. I stood there dropping level one resonator after level one resonator and he tried to blow them up faster than I could deploy them while looking around to see who the hell was immediately responding with portal defence.

He eventually found me and we had a chat while he blew up my defences. I had dozens of resonators and he could one hit kill each of them, but I mildly inconvenienced him and considered that victory.

My entire city is blue and hostile but there's no organisation to it. There are idiots running around out there linking portals together in such a way as to capture the least amount of space with highest number of portals... but I can't attack them yet because I do minimal damage to their heavily fortified portals.

So I'll wait... and steadily level up. And chat with the other Enlightened in my city about when we'll strike and strategically link the city turning it green overnight.

President Television

This looks awesome. I'll be moving across the country soon, I have an Android phone, and I'm not naturally outgoing, so I'm thinking I'll use it as a personal pretext for exploring the city and making friends.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

rong

Am I correct to assume this game is only really playable in urban environments?

I really like the concept, but I live in the boonies
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Pæs

The really cool thing that people outside of urban centres can do is suggest local landmarks as portals.
Google reviews these and is likely to approve them if there's nothing else going on in your area, making a portal pop up in your area.

Then you've got a portal you can link to those in the urban centres, while remaining less accessible to the other team. If you strategically linked it to other portals in all directions, whenever you travel, you could set up a massive area of influence for your team with your personal portal as the linchpin.

President Television

The more I read up on the fluff, the more I like it. On its face, it looks like a pretty straightforward order vs. chaos struggle, with the Enlightened on the side of order and the Resistance on the side of chaos, but then there's the fact that the XM seems to be responsible for human creativity and invention, and that opens up a whole new can of worms. It seems the Enlightenment are cool with alien mind control, as long as it means things continue to change, and the Resistance are defiant even if it means total stagnation and permanent stasis. Then there's the connection of the Resistance to the NIA, a fictional office of the US government. It seems the only problem the NIA really have with the influence of the Shapers is that it interferes with their own. The Enlightened are starting to look more and more like the reckless, crazy awesome SCIENCE! faction and the Resistance are looking more like rabid xenophobes.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Nephew Twiddleton

This sounds like an incredibly fun game...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on July 18, 2013, 07:26:50 PM
The thing with psychos is there aren't that many. Not stabby ones anyway. Statistically your toaster is more likely to kill you than a stabby psycho. So why are we more afraid of psychos than bread cookers? Lets think about that. Why are we scared of psychos? Is it because the teevee paints a picture of psychos on every street corner, competing for victims with drug users, rapists and drunk drivers?

The same teevee which has a vested interest in persuading you not to go outside? In fact, has a vested interest in keeping you indoors, glued to the boob tube, watching commercials for toasters?

Permission to quote?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on July 18, 2013, 07:26:50 PM
The thing with psychos is there aren't that many. Not stabby ones anyway. Statistically your toaster is more likely to kill you than a stabby psycho. So why are we more afraid of psychos than bread cookers? Lets think about that. Why are we scared of psychos? Is it because the teevee paints a picture of psychos on every street corner, competing for victims with drug users, rapists and drunk drivers?

The same teevee which has a vested interest in persuading you not to go outside? In fact, has a vested interest in keeping you indoors, glued to the boob tube, watching commercials for toasters?

Submit to Bitter Tea?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."