News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Roger/Waffle pointlessly pushing iron up in the air thread (warning: geekery)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 26, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

3 weeks in, arms like painful noodles.

How often do you work out a week, to get the results you got over the last year?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

EK WAFFLR

Since january, I've been working out three times a week. I still feel like a tenderised piece of steak after heavy days.

I had to manually translate and write up the following, so I really hope it's at least a tiny bit interesting.  :lulz:

A typical week might look like this:
(lbs x reps (x sets if several sets are the same weight))
(assistance/isolation exercises are sets x reps)
Monday

Squats: 165x3, 192x3, 210x3, 220x3, 236x2, 247x1, 254x2, 265x2, 276x2x2
Bench: 88x6, 132x5x3, 148x5x2
Elevated stiff leg deadlift: 93x5, 110x4, 115x3, 121x3x2

Bent over rows: 3x10
Thigh/leg curls:  3x12
Lateral raise: 4x8
Skullcrushers: 2x8, 3x6
Seated rows: 4x10
Bicep curls: 4x8

Wednesday

High-bar squats: 110x4, 132x4, 143x3, 148x3, 159x3x2
Narrow grip bench press: 66x10x2, 99x6, 121x5x5, 132x3
Deadlift: 210x6, 242x4, 258x3, 276x3, 298x3x2
Military press: 44x8x2, 66x5x2, 88x5x2

Dumbbell bench press: 3x6, 2x5
Dumbbell pullovers: 3x6

Friday

High bar squat: 121x6, 143x5, 154x4, 165x3x3
Bench press with double board: 99x6, 132x5, 159x5x2, 176x3x2, 198x1-2
Elevated deadlift: 210x5, 242x5, 258x3x3
Neck press: 55x8x2, 77x5x2

Bent over rows: 3x8
Weighted push ups: 3x8
Dips: 3x8
Tricep extension: 4x8
Bicep curls: 4x10
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 26, 2014, 08:15:06 PM
Since january, I've been working out three times a week. I still feel like a tenderised piece of steak after heavy days.

Same here.  I am developing an addiction to dopamine, though.

QuoteI had to manually translate and write up the following, so I really hope it's at least a tiny bit interesting.  :lulz:

A typical week might look like this:
(lbs x reps (x sets if several sets are the same weight))
(assistance/isolation exercises are sets x reps)
Monday

Squats: 165x3, 192x3, 210x3, 220x3, 236x2, 247x1, 254x2, 265x2, 276x2x2
Bench: 88x6, 132x5x3, 148x5x2
Elevated stiff leg deadlift: 93x5, 110x4, 115x3, 121x3x2

Bent over rows: 3x10
Thigh/leg curls:  3x12
Skullcrushers: 2x8, 3x6
Seated rows: 4x10
Bicep curls: 4x8

Wednesday

High-bar squats: 110x4, 132x4, 143x3, 148x3, 159x3x2
Narrow grip bench press: 66x10x2, 99x6, 121x5x5, 132x3
Deadlift: 210x6, 242x4, 258x3, 276x3, 298x3x2
Military press: 44x8x2, 66x5x2, 88x5x2

Dumbbell bench press: 3x6, 2x5
Dumbbell pullovers: 3x6

Friday

High bar squat: 121x6, 143x5, 154x4, 165x3x3
Bench press with double board: 99x6, 132x5, 159x5x2, 176x3x2, 198x1-2
Elevated deadlift: 210x5, 242x5, 258x3x3
Neck press: 55x8x2, 77x5x2

Bent over rows: 3x8
Weighted push ups: 3x8
Dips: 3x8
Tricep extension: 4x8
Bicep curls: 4x10

I'm just starting out, and I have a horrible sadistic brute as a trainer, so I don't know what my typical routine is yet.  I am also trying to get over the idea of eating MORE calories and losing weight.  This beats the FUCK out of the treadmill.

Once I understand my routine, I will post it.  At the moment, it is by no means as extensive as yours.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to eat 50 grams of protien if you can't have red meat?   :lulz:

EK WAFFLR

I'm usually in the gym for about 2,5 hours, taking at most a 3 minute break between sets.
The down side to suddenly finding myself aiming to compete at some point is the looming threat of injury, so there's a lot of pure technique training, especially in squats and deadlifts. I'm conisdering including the Olympic lifts from time to time too, as they look hellafun.

Also, supplements. Finding supplements that work and are legal in competitions is like finding a straw in a haystack. I did find some though.

They luckily have the most awesomely horrible names in the history of naming things.
Cannibal Inferno, Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Permaswole.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 08:20:40 PM
Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to eat 50 grams of protien if you can't have red meat?   :lulz:

Oh yeah. It's hard as hell even if red meat is an option. I use whey protein powder. I'm supposed to eat around 200 grams each day.

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PM
I'm usually in the gym for about 2,5 hours, taking at most a 3 minute break between sets.
The down side to suddenly finding myself aiming to compete at some point is the looming threat of injury, so there's a lot of pure technique training, especially in squats and deadlifts. I'm conisdering including the Olympic lifts from time to time too, as they look hellafun.

Also, supplements. Finding supplements that work and are legal in competitions is like finding a straw in a haystack. I did find some though.

They luckily have the most awesomely horrible names in the history of naming things.
Cannibal Inferno, Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Permaswole.

I'm doing about 45 minutes to one hour, 3 times a week, with 3 minute breaks between reps (though I gotta do the box during that time period).  I have no intention of competing, as that is what crippled my brother up.  I'm just trying to stay sexy.

I'm looking into supplements now, because 6 eggs in one sitting is pretty rough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 26, 2014, 08:26:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 08:20:40 PM

Oh yeah. It's hard as hell even if red meat is an option. I use whey protein powder. I'm supposed to eat around 200 grams each day.

I'm looking into the hydrolicized whey powder.  I am supposed to put down 100 grams per day at this point, which is something like 12 eggs or 11 mushroom patties.  Which is ridiculous.  Who the hell can eat 11 burgers?

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 26, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
I know people who down 18 eggs per day. I cannot understand it.

I'd heave.

No, supplements are definitely the way to go.  I just gotta have time to hit the shops...I'm not buying that sort of thing online.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 08:39:31 PM

I'd heave.

No, supplements are definitely the way to go.  I just gotta have time to hit the shops...I'm not buying that sort of thing online.

I buy my proteins in Sweden. Cheap, good quality and in bulk. Same with creatine and beta-alanine.

The pre-workouts and other assorted supplements I buy online.

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 26, 2014, 08:43:21 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 08:39:31 PM

I'd heave.

I buy my proteins in Sweden. Cheap, good quality and in bulk. Same with creatine and beta-alanine.

The pre-workouts and other assorted supplements I buy online.

As I don't plan to compete, I won't be bothering with a lot of the supplements.  I have my diet sheet, and I'll fill in the required areas.

The nice thing about the gym I attend is that even though it's a privately-run club, there is no pressure to compete.  Lots of pressure to shove heavy things into the air, but you don't get the feeling you're letting the side down by not going to competitions.  There is also a distinct lack of disdain for the noobs.

Eater of Clowns

Well hello there.

My Saturday gym routines are in the capable hands of my brother in law. I'm on a three week rotation now, one week of chest/arms, one week of legs/upper back, and one week of shoulders/back. We do a mixture of freeweights and machine isolation 3 sets of 10 reps with 3 exercises for each muscle group. Every session is ended with a 3 sets of 20 leg lifts, 3 sets of 10/20 incline crunches or oblique medicine ball twists, 3 planks, and a one mile speed run (just broke the 7 minute mile two weeks ago WOO!). It usually takes 1.5-2 hours.

I hit the pavement and run 3.5 miles 3x weekly between gym sessions.

Roger I'd been hearing that a glass of chocolate milk after workouts is one of the best things you can do, and I can attest to feeling revitalized after having it myself. It'll help with the protein.

I've come to love the soreness. I've noticed significant gain in the two months I've been at it, as well as in my appearance.

You two have very different body types than my own, though. I keep seeing a sign for a free body fat percentage estimate at the gym and I want to take them up on it just to fuck with them.   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2014, 08:48:53 PM
The nice thing about the gym I attend is that even though it's a privately-run club, there is no pressure to compete.  Lots of pressure to shove heavy things into the air, but you don't get the feeling you're letting the side down by not going to competitions.  There is also a distinct lack of disdain for the noobs.

It's a good feeling, right?
It's the same at my gym. Nobody pressured me into competing, but my trainer said I had the potential to become very good, which is nice, i so I decided why the hell not.

Also, getting help and tips from the old guys who've been lifting heavy shit since the sixties/seventies is fucking awesome.

[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 26, 2014, 08:50:42 PM
Roger I'd been hearing that a glass of chocolate milk after workouts is one of the best things you can do, and I can attest to feeling revitalized after having it myself. It'll help with the protein.

I'll definitely give that a try.

QuoteI've come to love the soreness. I've noticed significant gain in the two months I've been at it, as well as in my appearance.

There hasn't been time for appearance yet, but I don't feel like a lop of shit anymore.  And the soreness?  Yeah, a combination of dopamine and a feeling of accomplishment from having lifted heavy things up and put them down again.

QuoteYou two have very different body types than my own, though. I keep seeing a sign for a free body fat percentage estimate at the gym and I want to take them up on it just to fuck with them.   :lulz:

:crankey: