News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Roger/Waffle pointlessly pushing iron up in the air thread (warning: geekery)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 26, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 03:56:10 AM
So then, is the actual answer to my question "yes, go to your gym and tell them you want to lift weights"?

Is there any reading, prep, or other information that I might find helpful?

Yes.

And. Form vids on youtube is how I started out. Of course, getting form checked by people with 50 years of experience is better, but it works.
Also, this book is great.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on July 23, 2015, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on July 22, 2015, 10:58:45 PM

I can't lift my arms above my head. :(

I feel ya.  I've been wobbling around like Captain Pike.

(In case anyone is curious, we do this to feel better.  :lol: )
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2015, 04:42:50 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 04:36:30 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2015, 04:27:00 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 03:56:10 AM
So then, is the actual answer to my question "yes, go to your gym and tell them you want to lift weights"?

Yes.  Tell them "powerlifting, but no intent to compete in the foreseeable future".   

QuoteIs there any reading, prep, or other information that I might find helpful?

Not really, at least not that I've seen.  The real trick is finding a trainer that's worth a damn.  Many trainers are basically muscle heads.  What you want to do is find out what training they've had (A proper trainer will have a bag of anatomy courses under their belt), and then go slow.  If the trainer is crap, you'll know right away (and if it's questionable, talk to Waffle or myself).

Sweet

Whoever will be there is most likely going to be a health student.

You'll be glad you did.  My gut is gone.  It has apparently migrated into my shoulders and arms.

XXXL shirt now, because the XXL gets pulled up into my armpits.  Seriously, the difference since I saw you last is pretty dramatic.

I can't wait to see you all muscled up.  TERROR HAS A NEW LOOK.

:lulz:

Now I just have to build it into my schedule.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Leg day.

Squat:
242.5x4, 248x4, 253.5x4, 264.6x4, 99.2x20

Stiff leg dead lifts:
154.3x6x3

Leg Press:
352.7x20x4

Seated and lying leg curls 5x10 with resistance band.
Super setted these this week.

WHY OH WHY DID WE BUY AN APARTMENT WITH STAIRS?

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Short workout today on account of the trainer being injured.

bench with the fat bar 270 lbs.  My previous best was 255 (275 on the olympic bar).  Next Monday, we go for 285 on the fat bar, and next month 300 on the olympic bar (136.5 Kg).
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

So, I'm up to four reps at 275.6 lbs in the squat, 182 lbs bench, and 330.7 lbs in the deadlift after the holidays. Planning on totalling at 1036.2 (363.8 squat, 231.5 bench, and 440.9DEATHlift (the metal name for it, obviously)  lbs at the next meet, which is either in october or december, depending on which one I choose to lift at.

Also, these new assistance exercises are murdering me. 20 power shrugs? D:

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on August 07, 2015, 09:43:24 PM
So, I'm up to four reps at 275.6 lbs in the squat, 182 lbs bench, and 330.7 lbs in the deadlift after the holidays. Planning on totalling at 1036.2 (363.8 squat, 231.5 bench, and 440.9DEATHlift (the metal name for it, obviously)  lbs at the next meet, which is either in october or december, depending on which one I choose to lift at.

Also, these new assistance exercises are murdering me. 20 power shrugs? D:

You're beating me.

280LBS 1 rep, bench.  220 10 reps.
340LBS 1 rep, deadlift.  225 10 reps.
Potato for squat.  parsip 10 reps.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

You're horribly stronger than me in the bench though. I have weak arms. :(

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on August 10, 2015, 01:07:27 PM
You're horribly stronger than me in the bench though. I have weak arms. :(

And I have no right knee and abs that make Chris Christie sneer.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I gained 15 pounds of muscle in the year or so of weekly gym visits and regular outdoor runs. As a certifiable skinny fuck that's a lot. But my gym partner has moved on to his workplace gym and I have no drive to hit it solo. So I bought a pull up bar and am on every other day rotations with running of: 4 sets pushups, 4 sets lunges, 4 sets planks, and 4 sets pull ups. Been a pretty good whole body feeling so far, and already improvement in reps and form in a few sessions.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

EK WAFFLR

Strained a muscle in my chest while doing military presses yesterday. And at the same time, my left arm started to hurt. Thought I was having an heart episode.  :lulz:

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on August 13, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
Strained a muscle in my chest while doing military presses yesterday. And at the same time, my left arm started to hurt. Thought I was having an heart episode.  :lulz:

PR on box squats.  Althought that doesn't count.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 13, 2015, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on August 13, 2015, 12:45:25 PM

PR on box squats.  Althought that doesn't count.   :lulz:

All skvats count!

[/b]