News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I thought this could be a place where we have our geeky school-related conversations.

Related: I got all my books for school.

Two classes for my bio major, one class for my psych major, and one class for both.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Apparently Bear wrote my neuroscience textbook.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I'm actively ignoring my reading list.  About 50% of it is available via the site (to make up for not having access to the library, I guess), 25% of it is stuff from last year and the other 25% seems to be of dubious quality or utility.

I'll figure out if any are important enough to warrant actually buying, but as a rule the mandated weekly reading lists are all accessible without cash.

Suu

Is that all the books you have?

Here's half of mine. I'm still waiting on shipments, I think I want to give my mailman a card, or something.

You're probably wondering why I bought all of those damn Oxford translations. Well, for one: Only ONE of the books that were on my list, out of 25, were available on Kindle. And two: I've tried using Perseus through my undergrad, and I had a shitty time getting the correct citations for paperwriting. Fortunately, history and classics books are cheap, since they haven't changed much in 2000 years. So for 25 books I only spent about $300. And I'll keep them all anyway ,as I only have doubles of 2 books, and they're old translations fro the 70s and therefore outdated. I tend to reference much faster in a printed book than on my Kindle, but I'm getting better. I just have a shitty, and I do mean SHITTY classics library on my Kindle that has bad translations and no bookmarks or ways to easily navigate the texts. Great for casual reading, like how I'm skimming through the Iliad now for discussion on Monday, but I couldn't get a decent citation from it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Unrelated: One of my bookshelves collapsed this weekend. None of my new books were on there. We're going to move some stuff into the bedroom to make space out here and rearrange later.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, that is all the books I have for this quarter, because I am a science major. :lulz:

In fact, one of those books represents three quarters worth of classes, and two of the others represent two quarters worth of classes, which means that next quarter I'll probably only need to buy one or two books, depending. Science majors don't do a ton of reading, it's more working through concepts and problems. I'll probably spend more time with the online content than with the books.

I'll show you my bedside table though; that's where the readin' books are at. That's for fun times though, not for school times. Bow chicka bow bow.

Ben Shapiro

I'll show you all! WAIT TIL I GET INTO BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING!

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 04:39:58 PM
Yes, that is all the books I have for this quarter, because I am a science major. :lulz:

In fact, one of those books represents three quarters worth of classes, and two of the others represent two quarters worth of classes, which means that next quarter I'll probably only need to buy one or two books, depending. Science majors don't do a ton of reading, it's more working through concepts and problems. I'll probably spend more time with the online content than with the books.

I'll show you my bedside table though; that's where the readin' books are at. That's for fun times though, not for school times. Bow chicka bow bow.

Bedside books? Now you're just talking dirty.  :wink:

On the bright side, sorta, I know that my books, even in quantity, are probably cheaper than yours.  :argh!:

Though I think throughout my entire undergrad, my most expensive book was geography. GEOGRAPHY, for no other reason, according to my professor, that they had to make a new edition when the Sudan split.

"NEW COUNTRY! LET'S CHARGE ANOTHER $200!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It looks like it would have been a lot cheaper to be a liberal arts major; I'm a little envious. If I'd bought them new (I didn't, except for Molecular Biology of the Cell) my textbooks + access codes + molecular model set + workbooks would have cost close to $1200. I skated by at just under $500. Fucking textbook racket.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on September 06, 2014, 04:44:14 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 04:39:58 PM

Bedside books? Now you're just talking dirty.  :wink:

On the bright side, sorta, I know that my books, even in quantity, are probably cheaper than yours.  :argh!:

Though I think throughout my entire undergrad, my most expensive book was geography. GEOGRAPHY, for no other reason, according to my professor, that they had to make a new edition when the Sudan split.

"NEW COUNTRY! LET'S CHARGE ANOTHER $200!"

:lol: That's exactly what I thought when I looked at your books. I was like "Dammit, there are multiple editions of those and she can get them used from a variety of sources. I'm jelly".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 06, 2014, 03:49:56 PM
I'm actively ignoring my reading list.  About 50% of it is available via the site (to make up for not having access to the library, I guess), 25% of it is stuff from last year and the other 25% seems to be of dubious quality or utility.

I'll figure out if any are important enough to warrant actually buying, but as a rule the mandated weekly reading lists are all accessible without cash.

I'm also jelly of this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 06, 2014, 04:43:24 PM
I'll show you all! WAIT TIL I GET INTO BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING!

I don't know how that degree goes, but I do know that once I start my grad degree there will be far fewer books because it's way more hands-on lab research. Which is kind of exciting. Instead of books I'll be pulling articles and doing lit reviews and writing research proposals and then actually DOING IT. SO MANY STOKES.

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
It looks like it would have been a lot cheaper to be a liberal arts major; I'm a little envious. If I'd bought them new (I didn't, except for Molecular Biology of the Cell) my textbooks + access codes + molecular model set + workbooks would have cost close to $1200. I skated by at just under $500. Fucking textbook racket.

I'm not sure how good they do for science books, but try Bigwords.com. You put in the ISBN numbers, they find the books, run a search over hundreds of websites and find you the best deal. I was able to get almost all of my books off of Half.com except for the "package" that included 4 translations and the text for my Ancient Greek class. Still, 5 books for $80, new.

Suu

Also, I have to admit that I am loving my faculty so far. I was soooo apprehensive about starting a new school without knowing anyone going into my MA, but so far, they are fucking amazing.

UNH came really highly recommended for their history department, and unlike URI, they are actually ranked by US News. So I was all about applying anyway. The fact that I have 3 friends, 2 of which also got their graduate degrees here basically, "I loved UNH and you need to go there." Sort of helped seal the deal, because it's not often that state universities receive rave reviews from their alumni. URI is a good school for some things, and I do miss it, but UNH is positively Gucci in comparison. The campus makes URI look trashy, which it's not, it has a very nice campus, but yeah, here's a snapshot of one of the big study rooms on the first floor of the library:

And a random shot of the grounds and the hill that I have to climb to get to the library.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on September 06, 2014, 04:56:59 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 04:44:15 PM

I'm not sure how good they do for science books, but try Bigwords.com. You put in the ISBN numbers, they find the books, run a search over hundreds of websites and find you the best deal. I was able to get almost all of my books off of Half.com except for the "package" that included 4 translations and the text for my Ancient Greek class. Still, 5 books for $80, new.

Not so great for science textbooks, unfortunately.