News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's a pretty campus, Suu. My campus is... not pretty. :lulz: The university has been gradually expanding over the SW quarter of the city and a lot of it was built in the 70's.

The new Collaborative Life Sciences Building, which I'll be in this fall, is hilarious because it looks like a barge.

Hello yes I work in barge, thank you.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

At least it's not CCRI Warwick, which is a testament to the Bauhaus School, albeit a bad one. We call it "the cruise ship."

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Heh, I just found out that the 500-level Systems Science class that I had to get departmental approval for only has 9 students registered, which means it could be the best class ever, or it could get cancelled. That wouldn't be the worst thing on earth but then I'd have to find something else and I can just about guarantee it won't be anywhere near as awesome as Holistic Strategies for Problem Solving.

Cain

St Andrews does have Andrew Melville Hall though, which I spent some time living in:

QuoteDesigned in the New Brutalist style by the renowned architect James Stirling, Andrew Melville Hall was built during a major expansion of the University in the 1960s using prefabricated concrete modules. Errors in construction meant that extensive remedial work was required over several decades. Plans for further buildings to the same design were abandoned.

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 07, 2014, 10:22:08 AM
St Andrews does have Andrew Melville Hall though, which I spent some time living in:

QuoteDesigned in the New Brutalist style by the renowned architect James Stirling, Andrew Melville Hall was built during a major expansion of the University in the 1960s using prefabricated concrete modules. Errors in construction meant that extensive remedial work was required over several decades. Plans for further buildings to the same design were abandoned.

Hahaha jesus, that's grim. PSU also has several neobrutalist buildings, most notably the old library. They tried to soften the library with a new addition in the front but if you go behind it it still looks like a fortress or a prison of some kind.

There's also Science Building Two. I don't even know what to call that architecture. Recent earthquake retrofitting has made it even more remarkably hideous.

From another angle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I call it "Neo-Deconstructive Econo-Brutalism".

Suu

Oof.

Some of the buildings at URI from the 60s were also designed to be fallout shelters.

Those were the days.  :horrormirth:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

TOTALLY UNRELATED other than the fact that it's near campus and I can see it from the Market Street building, but this is a brand-new facade and it's probably the strangest building in Portland, as well as my favorite:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ths is what the building originally looked like:

The Johnny

Nice to know that I can study at peace during the zombie apocalypse somewhere.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

Here's a few pictures of the campus I'm going to: 

Since it's up in Oro Valley, they've made sure to put pretty plants and rocks next to the road and all around the place, all perfectly just so and "wild" looking.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on September 08, 2014, 02:08:34 AM

Nice to know that I can study at peace during the zombie apocalypse somewhere.

:lol: