News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky, everything is very cube-y.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

It is a bit, isn't it.  A bunch of cubes set at weird angles towards each other, which you can't really see in those pictures.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 09, 2014, 03:14:30 AM
It is a bit, isn't it.  A bunch of cubes set at weird angles towards each other, which you can't really see in those pictures.

Oh, you can. You can.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

We tend to be spoiled up here with the large state universities and Ivy League schools because they're all old and New England-y. UNH attempted to keep the red brick wherever it can, but we have the 1970s ghetto as well. Remarkably, those newer buildings are where the AC never seems to work. At URI it's more blatant.

Here's one of the beautiful old stone buildings on the quad:

Here's the old Pharmacy building:

And the NEW one:
http://web.uri.edu/pharmacy/files/campuscornerdark.jpg (big)

Here's the UNH Admin building, Thompson Hall:

.....And then when I spend most of my class time:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 07, 2014, 05:58:46 PM
TOTALLY UNRELATED other than the fact that it's near campus and I can see it from the Market Street building, but this is a brand-new facade and it's probably the strangest building in Portland, as well as my favorite:

So cool from the outside. So creepy on the inside. On the first floor is the security check point, this GIGANTIC ornate lobby area, and...nothing...nobody....it very much has the feel of a place that houses things that some portion of the population would want to blow up.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Freeky

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 09, 2014, 07:15:52 AM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 09, 2014, 03:14:30 AM

Oh, you can. You can.

There is just so much cube-osity, Nigel! :lulz:  And it's one of the nicer looking campuses in Tucson.  Make of that what you will.

Suu

I just read the Dream of the Rood, which is an Anglo-Saxon poem from the point of view of the Holy Cross. I sneered a bit at the idea, but it's actually quite moving and lovely.

http://www.apocalyptic-theories.com/literature/dor/medora1.html

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Academia Ghetto Thread - now with 100% more actual ghetto architecture!

Still waiting for tutorial dates, though I do have provisional essay dates.  Looks like I wont have to work too hard until mid-November.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on September 09, 2014, 03:05:14 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 07, 2014, 05:58:46 PM
TOTALLY UNRELATED other than the fact that it's near campus and I can see it from the Market Street building, but this is a brand-new facade and it's probably the strangest building in Portland, as well as my favorite:

So cool from the outside. So creepy on the inside. On the first floor is the security check point, this GIGANTIC ornate lobby area, and...nothing...nobody....it very much has the feel of a place that houses things that some portion of the population would want to blow up.

Well, given that it's the Federal building I would have to guess that assessment is at least somewhat true.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would post more buildings from my campus but they pretty much all look like the 70's.

The original college building is pretty though:

It used to be a high school, before the flood that forced Vanport Extension School to relocate to Portland.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm looking forward to the term starting. It's going to be a tough one I think, but I'm eager to get started, and also eager to put Ochem behind me so I can move forward with bio classes that are more interesting to me. I'm just a few classes away from finishing the psych major and then I can immerse myself in bio.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I made the Dean's List from my car this term...so there's that. Also, I'm taking immigration law and criminal law along with improv 2 this next term. I haven't really had a not fun term since I started this major.

Suu

When I was a kid, I went to a Franciscan church and school. St. Francis of Assisi was this awesome guy who did Christianity a solid.

Now, at age 32, after reading Thomas of Celano, I am now 99% positive that Francis went certifiably batshit. Here's somebody who you would think that had an actual clue of what being Christian was, sorta, and his fall into becoming "the knight of the LORD" is a full on nervous breakdown. Unlike Margery Kempe, who just did it for attention, I think poor Francis (who maintained epic anti-Semitic views from his rich brat days) went full potato.

Holy hell. This stuff is GREAT, if not sad. Really.

http://www.indiana.edu/~dmdhist/francis.htm#1.1

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on September 10, 2014, 06:36:20 PM
I made the Dean's List from my car this term...so there's that. Also, I'm taking immigration law and criminal law along with improv 2 this next term. I haven't really had a not fun term since I started this major.

It sounds pretty fucking awesome. Also I'm impressed that you managed to maintain your GPA despite being homeless.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 10, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on September 10, 2014, 06:36:20 PM

It sounds pretty fucking awesome. Also I'm impressed that you managed to maintain your GPA despite being homeless.

It's BECAUSE of being homeless..or at least not where I was. Mountains of narcotics aren't quite the study aids they're reputed to be.