Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on September 10, 2014, 08:03:50 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 10, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on September 10, 2014, 06:36:20 PM
I made the Dean's List from my car this term...so there's that. Also, I'm taking immigration law and criminal law along with improv 2 this next term. I haven't really had a not fun term since I started this major.

It sounds pretty fucking awesome. Also I'm impressed that you managed to maintain your GPA despite being homeless.

It's BECAUSE of being homeless..or at least not where I was. Mountains of narcotics aren't quite the study aids they're reputed to be.

:lol: Yeah, I imagine not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have made a small list of classes I might take if Holistic Problem Solving gets canceled. They are:

Physics I
Ecology
Health Psychology
Learning
Behavior Analysis

Even though I really need to get Physics out of the way, I'm leaning toward Learning, as it's one of the three core neuropsych courses, along with Perception and Cognition.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Wednesdays suck. Not having access to the car right now sucks. Hopefully next week will change everything, but damn, leaving the house at 8:30 to get home almost 12 hours later isn't fun.

I'm just a few paragraphs away from this text analysis being completed, and even though it's not due until 5pm tomorrow, I want to get it done so my reading is prepared for class at 11am. I'm just so tired right now. Once I eat dinner I think I'll snap out of it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm happy that I don't have to think about any Shit I Have to Do until the end of the month.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I did spend some time today thinking about what my backup plan is if I don't get into the neuroscience program, and decided that I'll apply for grad programs in genetics, psychology, and epidemiology and see what happens.

Cain

Genetics would be a good fit for your interests in particular, I think.

Just got my first tutorial date.  What are we discussing?  ISIS! Of course.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2014, 12:11:20 PM
Genetics would be a good fit for your interests in particular, I think.

Just got my first tutorial date.  What are we discussing?  ISIS! Of course.

Excellent!

I went to a housewarming last night that turned out to be jam-packed with people in public health, and I found out that OHSU and PSU are A. combining their public health programs, B. Splitting out epidemiology from biostatistics, and C. adding an epi PhD. My current thought is that I am going to apply to the epi MPH program as my #1 backup for the neuroscience program, and then while I finish my epi degree I can reapply to the neuro program.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And for sure genetics as my #2 backup plan. I wish PSU would bring back its medical anthropology program, but I guess it's kind of obsolete at this point.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The molecular & cellular program at OHSU also looks like a great possibility: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/departments/basic-science-departments/molecular-cellular-biosciences//

Like, damn. That's a fucking badass program.

Suu

Boniface VIII was a twatbog.

Every time I have to read Unam Sanctam I just want to go back to 1302 and choke a bitch.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As the university machine slowly awakens from its summer nap, gears gradually shift into motion and with them come the emails.

Suu

Quote from: Your Mom on September 17, 2014, 06:03:17 PM
As the university machine slowly awakens from its summer nap, gears gradually shift into motion and with them come the emails.

Thank you for reminding me to check my university email.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Financial aid is supposed to disburse today. Has it? No. It has not. And the university has removed all mention of the disbursement schedule from its website.

Thanks, fuckurz.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nah, that's cool... I can just feed my children twigs and we'll huddle together for warmth while I study by candlelight.

Suu

So I bombed my first 2 text analyses for a class.

Okay, I didn't BOMB, but I got 3.5's out of 5s. So they're punitive assignments, we get more credit actually showing up to class and participating, but, this made me miserable. Come to find out, the entire class also bombed. So yesterday my professor pulled an awesome, admitted she was confusing the fuck out of us, and walked us through what she wanted. I hope this last one I did is better. I feel like I'm rusty coming out of oh, 9 months out of school, but the clouds are starting to lift. I mean, all of her criticism was constructive and the rest made me feel very DERP. And she's super cool and approachable. I just really don't need to have another professor tell me, "YOU SUCK THIS PAPER SUCKS NO URI FOR YUO." Which you know, doesn't explain why I was one of 8 MA students accepted at UNH. So I think it's really all in my head.