News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

My transfer to UMass is complete, and my transfer credits have been updated to include Cell Bio and Physics 1.

I have to fulfill a diversity requirement, which I am doing by taking World Music. Cool with it, but it definitely means I have to finish in 4 semesters rather than 3. My other classes are Population Biology and Chemistry 1. I am waitlisted for Calculus and if I can't get it, I'm probably going to have to CLEP just to get the damn thing out of the way, and then take another whatever class to make sure I'm firmly within financial aid's requirements (I'll have to look into that though)

There's another tricky bit.

I have to meet an intermediate writing assessment by either taking a test or submitting a portfolio, sometime by the end of Fall semester, due to the amount of credits I have (otherwise they put all future classes on hold). There's something funky about that because there are specific dates involved with either option.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

American colleges are weird.

In other news, it looks like I have a full year to do my dissertation.  I'm not sure how I feel about that...my plan is to try and do it for Xmas regardless, as I don't want it hanging over me.

Once I decide what I want to do.  I still have a couple of weeks on that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on July 16, 2015, 08:54:37 AM
My transfer to UMass is complete, and my transfer credits have been updated to include Cell Bio and Physics 1.

I have to fulfill a diversity requirement, which I am doing by taking World Music. Cool with it, but it definitely means I have to finish in 4 semesters rather than 3. My other classes are Population Biology and Chemistry 1. I am waitlisted for Calculus and if I can't get it, I'm probably going to have to CLEP just to get the damn thing out of the way, and then take another whatever class to make sure I'm firmly within financial aid's requirements (I'll have to look into that though)

There's another tricky bit.

I have to meet an intermediate writing assessment by either taking a test or submitting a portfolio, sometime by the end of Fall semester, due to the amount of credits I have (otherwise they put all future classes on hold). There's something funky about that because there are specific dates involved with either option.

Woohoo, congrats! I'm taking upper division Microbiology, Ecology, Developmental Bio, and a thesis class this fall. And starting work on my thesis research!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 16, 2015, 04:48:40 PM
American colleges are weird.

In other news, it looks like I have a full year to do my dissertation.  I'm not sure how I feel about that...my plan is to try and do it for Xmas regardless, as I don't want it hanging over me.

Once I decide what I want to do.  I still have a couple of weeks on that.

That definitely seems like something it would be better done and out of the way, especially while you're still in the academic groove.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yeah.  Then again, if I get this new job, I'll only have one day off a week (plus a little bit during the day), so I may need it.  On the other hand, I could probably get a serious amount done during the holidays.

And if I'm still here...well, I figure a couple of hours, every day I'm not working, will quickly get me to where I want to be.  15,000-20,000 words isn't honestly that much.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, the first week of teaching children is over. Yay!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got dinged on my paper for not citing in APA style

...but I cited in APA style.  :?

Cain

Cite that you cited it in the APA style...in the Chicago style.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 18, 2015, 09:02:03 PM
Cite that you cited it in the APA style...in the Chicago style.

Tempting. Very tempting.

Zenpatista

Once more into the breach.

U of AZ had it's first day of the semester today. Students have been trickling into town over the past week. I have dusted off my syllabus and am getting ready to teach my first discussion section (biochemistry) of the school year. Proteins and enzymes ftw!  :)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zenpatista on August 25, 2015, 03:52:59 AM
Once more into the breach.

U of AZ had it's first day of the semester today. Students have been trickling into town over the past week. I have dusted off my syllabus and am getting ready to teach my first discussion section (biochemistry) of the school year. Proteins and enzymes ftw!  :)

Wait.  You're at U of A?
Molon Lube

Zenpatista

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2015, 04:56:34 AM
Wait.  You're at U of A?

Yes indeed. I've been there nearly 15 years (off and on) working multiple jobs in research with a side of teaching.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zenpatista on August 25, 2015, 05:14:57 AM
Wait.  You're at U of A?

Yes indeed. I've been there nearly 15 years (off and on) working multiple jobs in research with a side of teaching.

I'm in Tucson.  How have you never fallen in with the Hoodlum Cabal?
Molon Lube

Zenpatista

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2015, 06:34:05 AM
Wait.  You're at U of A?

I don't know. Hoodlum cabal sounds fun though. Wait - that's not like the sheriff's posse up in Phoenix, right?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zenpatista on August 25, 2015, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2015, 06:34:05 AM
Wait.  You're at U of A?

I don't know. Hoodlum cabal sounds fun though. Wait - that's not like the sheriff's posse up in Phoenix, right?

No, that's the Nazi Hoodlums.
Molon Lube