OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

At my temp job for a child company of a major bank, I'm responsible for managing the scanner and computer portion of a project involving the sorting and digitizing of a huge room full of documents.

Every day I have to go unlock their server closet, grab a laptop in the morning, and return it at the end of the day. I always pause and have a silent conversation with the server rack that blinks at me in the cool darkness with it's tangled mass of cables and quiet hum. My what a tall machine you are. I think of the video clip of Aaron Swartz for a moment and then go about my business.

So far, they have had two conferences just next to my cubicle, where I got to hear their CFO on speakerphone droning on about deposits, selling "products", and how no one knows what LIBOR rates will be in the future.

I was very convinced.

I also crushed it on my bicycle last week: just over 100 miles in 5 days. I managed to gain 7 pounds and an infinity of pure hatred in the process.

Somewhere along the way I lost every last shred of fear of motorized vehicles. I rode on a street with no bike lanes and a 50 mph speed limit and gave zero fucks as semi trucks barreled past me about 3 feet away.

It's not that I have a death wish, I have lights running on my bike night and day. I have industrial grade reflective tape all over my frame. I signal and stop at every stop sign. I abide by all of the laws. But every last asshole here has tinted windows, so you usually can't tell if someone is about to get out of their car. The only practical thing to do is ride on the leftmost white line designating the bike lane or a good four feet from parked cars if there isn't one. Which pisses off drivers that don't understand the concept of not slamming into some idiot's suddenly open door.

One of these days someone is going to pull over to road rage on me and I will introduce them to the "flying bicycle" technique.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Quote from: Bu☆ns on April 26, 2015, 03:49:50 AM
that really sucks, Cain.  But you have someone higher up in your corner?

Not that I know of.  But I have, at the very least, access to people who could overrule the pointy head brigade, if they were convinced.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on April 26, 2015, 07:01:30 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on April 26, 2015, 03:49:50 AM
that really sucks, Cain.  But you have someone higher up in your corner?

Not that I know of.  But I have, at the very least, access to people who could overrule the pointy head brigade, if they were convinced.

What do you have to do to convince them?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Not 100% sure, but I think if I wrap my previous proposal in with the point that Operations are already taking some of my ideas (I have timestamps on emails to prove it) and explain the security situation in the building as well as the overall security situation with boarding schools at this moment in time, I might get some traction.

Demolition Squid

As much as there are some really frustrating things going on with my job at the moment, there are some benefits too.

Like working from home and being able to go 'fuck it, you've pissed me off, I'mma take a walk through my lovely village whilst the day is still sunny and bright.'

I feel so much better for that. 'Go the fuck outside' definitely ranks up there for advice I've taken from people here over the years.  :)
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am still all kinds of fucked up from the antimalarials.

Only five more days. And then I will be susceptible to colonization by every goddamn microbe in the vicinity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on April 27, 2015, 11:49:17 AM
As much as there are some really frustrating things going on with my job at the moment, there are some benefits too.

Like working from home and being able to go 'fuck it, you've pissed me off, I'mma take a walk through my lovely village whilst the day is still sunny and bright.'

I feel so much better for that. 'Go the fuck outside' definitely ranks up there for advice I've taken from people here over the years.  :)

That is the best!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

PeeDee, I bring you greetings from the land of Jobs That Aren't Imploding In A Cataclysmic Orgy of Incompetence.

Things are fine, mostly.

Fuckery in my life has been largely relegated to a new LARP venture that I have been (barely) helping Cram get off the ground. Basically some spag with almost no experience in running these kinds of events and a handful of cash got a whole bunch of us whipped up into a frenzy of excitement over this New Thing he was gonna run.

Predictably, the only thing keeping it from totally imploding has been the efforts of experienced people fixing everything. Now it looks like we might actually be on track to running something sustainable.

Cain

Sustainable LARPing?  Sounds interesting, but how do you keep the larpers in the ground once you plant them there?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on April 27, 2015, 08:54:25 PM
Sustainable LARPing?  Sounds interesting, but how do you keep the larpers in the ground once you plant them there?

It's complicated, but essentially you build a feedback system that redirects the energy of their whining into forcing them deeper into the earth.

President Television

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on April 27, 2015, 08:37:25 PM
PeeDee, I bring you greetings from the land of Jobs That Aren't Imploding In A Cataclysmic Orgy of Incompetence.

:argh!:

You lucky bastard. My boss's turned into a real asshole this past week, and he's singling me out. I don't know what the hell's up with him, but the outcome is a toxic mix of micromanagement, incompetence, and general authoritarian fuckery, and I'm catching the brunt of it. He'll tell me to do something, then when I'm in the middle of it he'll interrupt me to tell me either to do it the way I'm already doing it or to do it another way with obvious gaping flaws in the methodology. This has been something of a tradition of his, but lately it's escalated to the point that if I ask so much as a single question, he just snaps in my face and says "DON'T YOU FUCKING QUESTION ME." In all-caps, too. And there are a lot of questions that have to be asked. He contradicts himself, interrupts himself, leaves sentences half-finished, and leaves details vague with alarming regularity, so asking questions is a necessary part of discerning what he actually wants when he gives me orders. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't hit me yet.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

minuspace

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on April 27, 2015, 08:58:15 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 27, 2015, 08:54:25 PM

It's complicated, but essentially you build a feedback system that redirects the energy of their whining into forcing them deeper into the earth.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Right now my life is all about microbes.

And beef chili on tater tots, holy shit this is some kind of holy grail of junk food.

Demolition Squid

In all my adult life I have had one (1) relatively long term relationship, and it didn't end well.

Why am I suddenly Mr. Relationship Expert in my circle of friends? I've seriously spent hours upon hours trying to be a support for my buddies over the past few days as they divulge all sorts of horrible, hurtful and fucked-up situations that I have absolutely no frame of reference for helping them deal with.

And now I have to be up in seven hours and it is still going on in chat windows. Whhhyyyyyyyyyy?!
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on April 28, 2015, 12:24:20 AM
In all my adult life I have had one (1) relatively long term relationship, and it didn't end well.

Why am I suddenly Mr. Relationship Expert in my circle of friends? I've seriously spent hours upon hours trying to be a support for my buddies over the past few days as they divulge all sorts of horrible, hurtful and fucked-up situations that I have absolutely no frame of reference for helping them deal with.

And now I have to be up in seven hours and it is still going on in chat windows. Whhhyyyyyyyyyy?!

As a thrice-divorced veteran of fucking up relationships, I often ask myself the same question.

I guess people feel like, if you have experienced the crashing and burning of a relationship, you know what you could have done right, or at least ways to make it suck less as it goes wrong?

I seriously don't know. It would make sense if they were asking me how to get laid. Relationship advice? That's like asking a crash-test dummy for driving advice.