News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

So what's this whole Race and Gender thing all about....

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, July 10, 2015, 08:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Reginald Ret on July 13, 2015, 08:09:58 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 11, 2015, 03:14:13 AM
WTF?   I posted this in open bar.  I swear.
I knew I saw it before you posted it here!
I though I was going mad.

Did it accidentally get moved here?

I suspect the foul mind of Faust behind all this business.  He is like the Dr Moriarity of BBS crimes.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

Does that make you and Nigel Sherlock and Holmes? If so, which is which?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 13, 2015, 03:52:53 PM
I saw this today and it is only tangentially relevant but it made me bawwww https://medium.com/@cwinterbg/the-day-my-daughter-discovered-i-m-white-8c2e41f35b14

I love how kids do that with "big" parenting moments. "Yes, honey, two boys or two girls can get married, just like a girl and a boy can get married." "What's for dinner?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on July 13, 2015, 09:29:22 AM
Does that make you and Nigel Sherlock and Holmes? If so, which is which?

No.  I'm Mrs Hudson, and Nigel drives the hansom cab.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 13, 2015, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 13, 2015, 03:52:53 PM
I saw this today and it is only tangentially relevant but it made me bawwww https://medium.com/@cwinterbg/the-day-my-daughter-discovered-i-m-white-8c2e41f35b14

I love how kids do that with "big" parenting moments. "Yes, honey, two boys or two girls can get married, just like a girl and a boy can get married." "What's for dinner?"

That's the thing about kids; they don't have all the expectations and social crap around it, so they're just like "OK".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yea, its like, they believed you when you told them a magic fairy collects their teeth, two same-sex people in love isn't even close to the strangest thing they've been told.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Reginald Ret

That is the correct stance on race.
And that is what (i hope all but at least some) people mean when they say they don't see skin color. It is like seeing a nose. Sure, it can be all different kinds, but the general idea is the same and it doesn't really matter.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on July 14, 2015, 07:52:35 AM
And that is what (i hope all but at least some) people mean when they say they don't see skin color. It is like seeing a nose. Sure, it can be all different kinds, but the general idea is the same and it doesn't really matter.

Given the actual world we live in, when most people say they don't see skin color, they're lying, and what they mean is "my ideals would make my life easier if I couldn't see skin color".

Is it all the same? No. Any child can see that one butt is brown and another butt is light. Unless you have literal brain damage, you can see color. The difference is the social value assigned to it.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2015, 08:29:47 AM

Given the actual world we live in, when most people say they don't see skin color, they're lying, and what they mean is "my ideals would make my life easier if I couldn't see skin color".

Is it all the same? No. Any child can see that one butt is brown and another butt is light. Unless you have literal brain damage, you can see color. The difference is the social value assigned to it.
Well... in that case most people suck!
Gah!  :sad:

I can never wrap my mind around the fact that almost everyone sees such superficial things as IMPORTANT THINGS.
Good people notice and remember actions better than looks.

Example: in-game chat conversation with a new acquaintance, despite her mentioning her name and describing her looks I had no idea who she was until she mentioned that we worked together for 10 minutes on restocking some shelves near the end of the LAN party where we met. (it was held in a food-bank/supermarket building, proceeds went to support the food-bank.) Though that may just be my crappy memory :P
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on July 14, 2015, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2015, 08:29:47 AM

Well... in that case most people suck!
Gah!  :sad:

I can never wrap my mind around the fact that almost everyone sees such superficial things as IMPORTANT THINGS.
Good people notice and remember actions better than looks.

Example: in-game chat conversation with a new acquaintance, despite her mentioning her name and describing her looks I had no idea who she was until she mentioned that we worked together for 10 minutes on restocking some shelves near the end of the LAN party where we met. (it was held in a food-bank/supermarket building, proceeds went to support the food-bank.) Though that may just be my crappy memory :P

Most people DO suck, and are selfish, and assign themselves virtue where none is due. Failing to notice someone's appearance or personal attributes isn't a virtue.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, what if a woman laughed and was like "Oh, LOL, you're a man? I didn't notice!"

Shift the context just a little, and people will take it as an insult. NOT NOTICING who people are isn't flattering, it isn't nice, it isn't post-racism. It's just being a dick, unless you authentically have brain damage or a disorder that makes it difficult for you to perceive physical attributes of individual people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. White men tend to be the worst, because they assume that thinking you're just like them is some kind of compliment, like "Oh, I didn't even notice you were brown or female" is supposed to make me feel GOOD about myself.

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2015, 03:48:25 PM
I mean, what if a woman laughed and was like "Oh, LOL, you're a man? I didn't notice!"

Shift the context just a little, and people will take it as an insult. NOT NOTICING who people are isn't flattering, it isn't nice, it isn't post-racism. It's just being a dick, unless you authentically have brain damage or a disorder that makes it difficult for you to perceive physical attributes of individual people.

I think I've mentioned before that my dad is horrifically racist.

He claims he's not because one of his best friends is Greek - and as he puts it, "You'd never know the guy is Greek unless you go to his house because he keeps all that stuff behind closed doors where it doesn't bother anybody! That's the good kind of immigration right there!"

The 'I don't see race' idea always reminds me of that. "You can have a different heritage so long as it doesn't offend me, the mainstream majority, by being obviously different."
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on July 14, 2015, 03:53:42 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 14, 2015, 03:48:25 PM

I think I've mentioned before that my dad is horrifically racist.

He claims he's not because one of his best friends is Greek - and as he puts it, "You'd never know the guy is Greek unless you go to his house because he keeps all that stuff behind closed doors where it doesn't bother anybody! That's the good kind of immigration right there!"

The 'I don't see race' idea always reminds me of that. "You can have a different heritage so long as it doesn't offend me, the mainstream majority, by being obviously different."

Yep. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. "I'm so enlightened that I didn't even notice that you're different from me!" is not that far from "Your deviance is OK as long as I can't see it".