News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Was goth a thing?

Started by Meunster, July 27, 2015, 08:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meunster

Being a young 18 year old my social consciousness  didn't catch on till goth was on it's way out. I'm in an interesting position where all I can see is the reaction to goth culture. The hottopics, the odd southpark episode, the weird children it spawned like emo, scene, and ravers. It's not like I can go find a live stream of 10 years ago. So I'm asking you old farts, what was goth like in it's prime?
actually what where any subcultures like? Everything must of been completely different.
Poe's law ;)

LMNO

Which wave are we talking here?  Siouxie Sioux/Bauhaus/Cure, or NIN/Manson/Lycia?

I sorta lived through both.

Doktor Howl

He's got the scars to prove it.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Meunster

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 27, 2015, 08:33:34 PM
Which wave are we talking here?  Siouxie Sioux/Bauhaus/Cure, or NIN/Manson/Lycia?

I sorta lived through both.

bauhaus and cure era
Poe's law ;)

Faust

Goth was an elaborate hoax that started sometime in the fourtiers as a defiant gesture to the establishment by the nihilistic beat generation.
It hit its peak in the mid fifties, with goth artists, musicians, actors and writers creating what went on to become the defining staples of goth culture.

While goth culture sat uneasily with many conservative elements no one could deny its importance and people like Fermi, Von Braun and Feynman were household names.

By the end of the fifties goth culture was saturated, and it was at this point that its critics seized the opportunity to strike, they slated the goth mainstream as having become derivative or lacking in meaning. New goth artists struggled to establish themselves in a society that now found them cliche.

The final nail in the coffin for goth culture came with the assassination of the beloved American president JFK in Dallas in 1963 by the struggling and admittedly mediocre goth interpretive dancer Lee Oswald. With that the last of the enthusiasm that had once filled a thriving subculture was snuffed out.

And that, as they say, is that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Also, they recited shitty poetry to the sound of bongos, which didn't help at all.
Molon Lube

hooplala

And they ruined snapping in lieu of clapping.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Johnny

I dont know about its origins, but ive been in contact with people of the scene for about 15 years, and the practical meaning i derive from it is 2 very polarized lifestyles:

1) "I dont give a fuck" nihilistic hedonism which has its respective paths and ends.

2) A commital to art or culture in different manners.

As one can easily expect, the prevalent is the 1st lifestyle.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on July 27, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
Goth was an elaborate hoax that started sometime in the fourtiers as a defiant gesture to the establishment by the nihilistic beat generation.
It hit its peak in the mid fifties, with goth artists, musicians, actors and writers creating what went on to become the defining staples of goth culture.

While goth culture sat uneasily with many conservative elements no one could deny its importance and people like Fermi, Von Braun and Feynman were household names.

By the end of the fifties goth culture was saturated, and it was at this point that its critics seized the opportunity to strike, they slated the goth mainstream as having become derivative or lacking in meaning. New goth artists struggled to establish themselves in a society that now found them cliche.

The final nail in the coffin for goth culture came with the assassination of the beloved American president JFK in Dallas in 1963 by the struggling and admittedly mediocre goth interpretive dancer Lee Oswald. With that the last of the enthusiasm that had once filled a thriving subculture was snuffed out.

And that, as they say, is that.

:mittens:

Doktor Howl

The Goths were okay when they stayed in Germany.  They wrecked everything when they moved into Gaul and Italy.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No, goth is not a thing. Goth was never a thing. Stop making up words and asking what they mean.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I was going to answer with a lot of thought, then I noticed who asked.

Then I noticed what you asked.

The scene was great if you loved the scene. Then the scene changed. And you either went with it or you became a hater.

What the hell are you even asking?

Meunster

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 29, 2015, 04:20:38 AM
I was going to answer with a lot of thought, then I noticed who asked.

Then I noticed what you asked.

The scene was great if you loved the scene. Then the scene changed. And you either went with it or you became a hater.

What the hell are you even asking?

What was it like? at a regular goth meeting type thing? The small little details.
Poe's law ;)