News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Acosmicist UNLIMITED fightin' the power thread

Started by Acosmicist, July 28, 2015, 07:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on July 29, 2015, 04:59:03 AM
I'm gonna be a little edgy here for a moment, but speaking of fry cooks... I don't really care for sweet potato fries. Who's with me?

Yams are awful no matter what you do with them.
Molon Lube

Acosmicist

Quote from: Hoopla on July 29, 2015, 04:59:03 AM
I'm gonna be a little edgy here for a moment, but speaking of fry cooks... I don't really care for sweet potato fries. Who's with me?
I'm with you. Sweet potatoes are terrible.

Acosmicist

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on May 21, 2010, 02:33:40 PM
because I changed my mind about the other one I was gonna do...

So I was talking to this friend of mine the other day, and he says it would be really cool to publish a magazine, but its just a rather large amount of effort doin that sorta thing on your own right?  Now I says to him, I know some peeps doin e-zines.

Now he's not exactly of the Discordian line of thinking, explicitly anywho, but it gave me this idea, cause I know an awful lot of creative peeps, what with my being situated next to an art college most of the time.  So something mighty fine could come out of such a collaboration.  I would be editing, with contributions largely from people you've never heard of.

x

edd

So it would be just like every other magazine?

Acosmicist

I tell others about my philosophy all the time, but only because I don't have a better answer for when they ask me, "What's so funny?"

Acosmicist

Quote from: Edward Longpork on July 17, 2015, 04:20:51 PM
I know a young Sun God. The way he lives his life is inspirational to me.

When you see him at a party, he's friendly, energetic, outgoing, easy to approach, interested in what you are talking about, fun to be around.

When he's at work, he's the same guy.

I find this trait, dare I say, heroic.

You could say my psyche is more fragmented and compartmentalized. When I'm at work, I feel like a different person - and it's not always a fun person to be. The job demands someone who is detail oriented, professional, submissive. A lot of the traits which make me fun to be around must be tucked away.

A few months ago I was at a corporate training session for something or other. The guy in charge was basically just running a script. He was doing all the textbook things which make you a good speaker - enunciating, making eye contact, clear phasing, giving time to ask questions... but I couldn't help but feel that I was interfacing with a script, not a human. Anything which humanized him was tucked away deep behind those eyes. Maybe this is just my own hangup, that I feel alienated by the Persona.

But as I grow, it feels less alienating. I understand why you have to build a wall between the personal and the professional--it's a survival trait. I can't help but wonder what effect this has.

The Turing test vastly overestimates the intelligence of humans.
If you feel like you are wasting your time interacting with robots, imagine how the robot feels.

Acosmicist

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 12, 2015, 08:39:09 AM
I just read this interview] with Mona Eltahawy about her new book. Full disclosure - I haven't read the book, but there were some interesting quotes in there which got me thinking. The one which stood out was:

QuoteAre all religions misogynistic?
Absolutely, to some degree. All religions, if you shrink them down, are all about controlling women's sexuality... They're obsessed with my vagina. I tell them: stay outside my vagina unless I want you in there.

I don't think this goes far enough.

Whilst it is true that many religions (all? Not sure I'm willing to make that claim because there's probably some which don't - Wicca maybe?) place more restrictions on women than men - especially Islam which is where she's largely coming from - religious dogma exists to tell people how to live their lives. That is literally the point of the exercise, and sexuality is a part of that, so both women and men are told how they should act to be a good (whatever).

It feels like this is a fundamental part of looking to someone else to tell you how to live your life. If you're looking to religion for rules and guidance, do you really have the right to get offended when they start telling you things you don't want to hear?

It just felt particularly odd to me to make the claim that religion is fundamentally misogynistic when, by that logic, it'd in fact be more misanthropic. I'm sure that the implementation of islamic dogma in countries like Saudi Arabia - which she highlights as being part of what formed this opinion - absolutely is misogynistic, but it isn't exactly a picnic for many men, either.

Doesn't it just boil down to the principle that it is fine to make a case for how you 'should' live morally, but the moment it starts to be enforced and inflicted on the unwilling - especially with regards to your body and sexuality - that's when it becomes a problem?

I've had quite enough of your mansplaining.

Acosmicist

Quote from: Meunster on May 15, 2015, 06:24:20 AM
Is there a word for the fear of not knowing the words to express a concept so you will never know the concept even exist?

Like in 1884, they can't rebel cause there is no word for rebellion.

If you don't know the word to express this concept, then how do you know it exists?

You should be filled with terror right now.

Acosmicist

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Acosmicist on July 29, 2015, 02:34:42 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 29, 2015, 02:20:39 AM
This one's a peach.

An anonymous user told me as we were discussing Discordianism on another forum that around here, people take themselves too seriously, pat each other on the back for agreeing with one another, ignore people who disagree with them, and genuinely believe in some greater, left-wing altruistic purpose for getting a kick out of hot dog bun jokes.

I interpreted this as a challenge.

I interpret it as Muenster needs more loving.  The GIGGLES way.
Molon Lube

Cain

I wish I could be as genuinely edgy as a first year philosophy undergrad  :sad:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2015, 07:36:51 AM
I wish I could be as genuinely edgy as a first year philosophy undergrad  :sad:

I wish there was a slightly easier way to collect up posts for an unlimited thread. 
Molon Lube

Cain

We should outsource it to Meunster.  He'd then squeal for some buddies to back him up and soothe his butthurt from all the heavy lifting.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2015, 07:39:52 AM
We should outsource it to Meunster.  He'd then squeal for some buddies to back him up and soothe his butthurt from all the heavy lifting.

Yep.  I have something special in mind for him.

It's legal, of course, though it probably ought not to be.
Molon Lube

Acosmicist

I come from an anonymous forum, where the only reason moderation ever gets involved is if someone posts strictly illegal imagery.
After so many years of being surrounded by a combination of legit assholes (anti-semitic conspiracy theorists, holocaust deniers, and every "order" of horrors you can imagine and more) and people who just pretend to be assholes because it makes real assholes look even worse, you reach a point where it becomes funny within its own context.
You begin to incorporate their strategy into your own reality tunnel, not because it is so effective at winning arguments, but because it's so effective at disrupting a person's perception.
Conspiracy theory is one of the most interesting aspects of this.
"Joan Rivers died less than a week after accusing Michelle Obama of being a transgendered person. Coincidence? I think not."
The one that really kills me, is that any time a news source is posted which says something that can even be remotely interpreted as anything less than an outright promotion of Neo-Nazism, the users will point to the author of the article, and 8 times out of 10 it's a Jewish-sounding name.
It's not so much that it's true, it's that when you look hard enough with an open mind, you can begin to see why people might form the outrageous worldviews they do.
I'm not a racist at heart. I love Jews. I think they're doing a great job of subverting gentiles to be their willing slaves. You might even say I'm a Jewish Supremacist.
I'm not anti-Christian, either. I'd suck Jesus' circumcised penis like it distributes communion wafers made of 100% Kosher Beef Jerky.

I'm not being offensive to offend people. I'm urging people to stop being offended.