News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Help a Brother Out

Started by Dimocritus, November 08, 2011, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

Got into a huge argument with my original bass player about the dangers of advertising, especially in regards to kids. He refuted my claim that advertising (or, as it is in America, blatant psychological manipulation and abuse) can be harmful by falling into a straw man argument, in which he called into question my authority on the subject (because I am not an authority, all my arguments are invalid). Not only did he continue to defend immoral and outright dangerous advertising techniques (despite the fact that he has a young daughter, the most susceptible target of said ad practices), he also was incapable of understanding that calling my character into question was not a logically viable means of argument, leading to invalid counterpoints in regards to my original premises.

I have just printed up a packet for him, including guidlines to a logically cogent method of argumentation, as well as a definition of "fallacy" and a description of a straw man fallacy in particular, as well as a few articles from science weekly that help illustrate my position, but not as well as I would like. Does anyone have links to good, preferably pier-reviewed, articles that can help bolster my argument?   

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Triple Zero

(BTW this is the sort of thread you could also put in TFYS, if you want to give that old subforum some traffic)

Some things by Naomi Klein perhaps? Although No Logo is more about the rise of the "Brand" than the dangers of advertising. But she also wrote other stuff.

His argument of questioning your authority on the subject is not strictly a Straw Man fallacy, by the way. Somebody fill me in on what exactly it falls under, though.

Yet, if he keeps making fallacious arguments, why don't you go straight for the jugular and:

Because that guy was totally an authority on advertising.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

It seems that the "questioning your authority" is more like a :cn: thing, but used as an offensive tactic.

In a way, he's asking for an Appeal to Authority.  The counter to this is a version of "even if the biggest idiot says the sun is shining, that doesn't make it dark out."

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 08, 2011, 04:07:03 PM
It seems that the "questioning your authority" is more like a :cn: thing, but used as an offensive tactic.

In a way, he's asking for an Appeal to Authority.  The counter to this is a version of "even if the biggest idiot says the sun is shining, that doesn't make it dark out."

I actually tried that. Not that exact example, but the same premise. He either didn't get it, or refused to get it. At what point (if ever), after all reasonable attempts are made, is it okay to just punch him in the face?

LMNO

So long as you're wearing your "TFYS" rings, any time past the third attempt.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 08, 2011, 04:28:46 PM

Funny, I've never heard 'em called that before...

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 08, 2011, 04:28:46 PM
Yes, what LMNO.

In other regards, I would suggest have him watch How TV Ruined Your Life, in particular, episode 3 "Aspiration". While it's not specifically about advertising, it is about the psychological manipulation in television altogether, so it may be of some use. The other episodes are less applicable to the current debate, but I would highly recommend the entire series to anyone and everyone. This is, of course, in addition everything suggested ITT, and after you punch him in the face.

AFK

Here's a paper that speaks to the effects of alcohol advertising on underage drinking.  Not sure if this was the kind of advertising you were talking about but it definitely lays out a good case for how advertising effects adolescent behavior. 

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/policy/policies/a/alcoholadvertising.html

If you want more of this kind of thing let me know, I'm sure I can find other links/papers. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Dimocritus on November 08, 2011, 03:03:00 PM
Got into a huge argument with my original bass player about the dangers of advertising, especially in regards to kids. He refuted my claim that advertising (or, as it is in America, blatant psychological manipulation and abuse) can be harmful by falling into a straw man argument, in which he called into question my authority on the subject (because I am not an authority, all my arguments are invalid). Not only did he continue to defend immoral and outright dangerous advertising techniques (despite the fact that he has a young daughter, the most susceptible target of said ad practices), he also was incapable of understanding that calling my character into question was not a logically viable means of argument, leading to invalid counterpoints in regards to my original premises.

I have just printed up a packet for him, including guidlines to a logically cogent method of argumentation, as well as a definition of "fallacy" and a description of a straw man fallacy in particular, as well as a few articles from science weekly that help illustrate my position, but not as well as I would like. Does anyone have links to good, preferably pier-reviewed, articles that can help bolster my argument?   

I sense you are bringing articles of war to a mudfight.

I refer you to Cain's Rules for Life (IntermittensXX p32)

Arguing Rarely Persuades People

More often than not, if you argue
with someone, they will become
more set in their ways and more
stubborn, less open to criticism.  If
you have to convince someone, use
examples, not words.

From what it sounds like, your case will be better argued using image macros and snippets from Culture Jam or Adbusters.

Reginald Ret

Get specific ads in his house, give him magazines, etc.
Pick a product he now harldy buys and start pushing him over the edge with lots and lots of advertisement.
Place relevant ads all through your emails to him.
send him links to youtube movies of ads for the relevant product.
etc.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rumckle

Quote from: Cramulus on November 09, 2011, 03:50:25 PM

examples, not words.

From what it sounds like, your case will be better argued using image macros and snippets from Culture Jam or Adbusters.

Yes, you need to be careful about these things, see this for more info (I can't remember if I was linked to this from here or not, so sorry if it's a repost).
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Dimocritus

examples, not words.

You're right, Cram, this had crossed my mind. Although, I already told him I was preparing a packet of information for him to go through, so I'm kind of locked-in now. But, I suppose being handed some info isn't exactly arguing at that point, so maybe there's some hope this won't go that bad.

Oh, and anyone have any good links in regards to the effectiveness of advertising in general? I'm curious to see how well most tricks actually work, and which are a waste of ad dollars.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dimocritus on November 10, 2011, 05:43:21 AM

examples, not words.

You're right, Cram, this had crossed my mind. Although, I already told him I was preparing a packet of information for him to go through, so I'm kind of locked-in now. But, I suppose being handed some info isn't exactly arguing at that point, so maybe there's some hope this won't go that bad.

Oh, and anyone have any good links in regards to the effectiveness of advertising in general? I'm curious to see how well most tricks actually work, and which are a waste of ad dollars.

I don't have any handouts, but I will share one thing my boss once told me:

"A good ad needs to do three things: show people your product, show them why they want it, and tell them where to get it".

That company had extraordinarily effective ads with very little verbiage, and he just sold it to Williams-Sonoma and retired. I have always based my advertising model off his, and (back before I went part-time, before the divorce and economy crash) had superb response.

Advertisers use a lot of tricks and gimmicks to sell people things they don't need, but fundamentally I think that the most effective principle is exactly what he said.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."