News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Kindles = Hitler

Started by Iason Ouabache, December 10, 2009, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2009, 01:53:12 PM
That tape gets worn out and starts getting all jammed up in the cassette player innerds.  Or they'd just freeze up and stop playing. 
That is a problem withyour cassette player, not your cassette. Extremely overused cassettes just get stretched and worn tape, sound quality gets sucky and parts sound slowed down.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

AFK

Well, considering the tapes I had problems with would get fucked up in multiple players, and that other tapes would play just fine in the same cassette players, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

WAX CYLINDERS OR GTFO!   :argh!:

DAMN KIDS, WITH YOUR NEWFANGLED 8 TRACKS, LISTENING TO THE ROCK AND THE ROLL!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: BAI on December 11, 2009, 01:28:58 PM
QuoteSD memory cards. They survive a fire and you can drive a truck over them.

000, trip man, Ive never before ever, said STFU! to your good self, but, dude.

you want to see me kill an SD card? Like, kill so its mother would not recognize it? Honest.

How would this work? I can see driving a truck over one, as they are well flat and would probly take it.

okay okay okay, they are not 100% indestructible, but nothing is to the determined BAI :-)

they are just way more resilient than CDs, Vinyl record or videocassettes, is what I meant.

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 01:29:13 PMI like records because of the surface noise.

It gives off a fake sense of nostalgia, and I'm not afraid to admit that.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to me!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2009, 01:53:12 PMIt's mp3's that bug me.  I don't fancy myself an audiophile but damn they just sound lifeless compared to CD's and other older formats.  And I can tell instantly when they are playing MP3's on Sirius compared to a CD.  It has that swishy kinda sound.

I can tell a 128kbps mp3 easily, it's indeed "swishy", I never tried comparing with 192kbps, but I think I could tell with some effort. Anything higher is nearly impossible to tell apart, unless the encoding somehow went wrong. It's still about 5x as small as lossless encoding, though.

Quote from: BAI on December 11, 2009, 02:07:02 PMmr 000 said that sd cards are practically unkillable.

I want to kill one,

CHALLENGE ON!  :mrgreen:

to make it fair 000

he can name the make and model of sd card that I will try and kill.

I will purchase this, and load it with a graphic, an mp3 and a vid that I shall try and murder.

And murder I shall (within reason I.E not crushing it longways or magnetoing it or shredding it).

Like reasonable shit like dousing it in petty and setting it alight and beating it and running it over and things :P it sounds like a challenge to me :P

000! Lay you shit down!

Hmmm, well I heard about running it over with a car.

When my house burned down, a 2GB SD card was in the camera of my flatmate, the entire room was burned to a blackened mass of crispy black flakes, the camera was not burnt (it was below some black stuff), but had waterdamage. The SD card was fine.

I think hitting it with a hammer might also break it, but I'm not sure, so you could try that as a final resort :)

I'm also not entirely sure whether the information on it is actually magnetic, but that would be easier to simply look up than try out :)

And the brand, well, SanDisk is the original manufacturer, but I think my flatmate's camera card was just a cheap thing.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2009, 03:44:30 PM
Well, considering the tapes I had problems with would get fucked up in multiple players, and that other tapes would play just fine in the same cassette players, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you. 
I can't imagine a cassette design that would cause such problems.
The tape gets pulled out the cassette a little bit, comes into contact with the reader and then gets pulled back into the cassette through the turning wheel.
the only way it could get pulled out of this track would be because the tape got stuck on something. this can either be caused by the tape being sticky or the spokes or readerhead having a snag.
You fapped into your 'problem' tapes didn't you?

i remembered one other problem with cassettes: twisted tape, that caused some weird medleys.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Requia ☣

I've heard 192 MP3 lose an entire note, so I wouldn't call it lossless, AAC or OGG (and probably WMA, though I've never worked with it) all sound fine though.

Flac is more for archiving and future proofing your collection, you can move from Flac to any other format just fine, lossy formats (even really good ones) sound atrocious if you convert between them.  Also good if you intend to do any remixing.

Quote from: Bai
FLAC is great! I just done my step daughter some unseemly lage bitrate video for some silly vampire proggy. worked out 2.8 dvds woth per 1 file. lol.

Wut?  That's not flac, my entire flac archive (a dozen CDs) would fit on one DVD.  It also has nothing to do with video.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on December 11, 2009, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2009, 03:44:30 PM
I can't imagine a cassette design that would cause such problems.
The tape gets pulled out the cassette a little bit, comes into contact with the reader and then gets pulled back into the cassette through the turning wheel.
the only way it could get pulled out of this track would be because the tape got stuck on something. this can either be caused by the tape being sticky or the spokes or readerhead having a snag.
You fapped into your 'problem' tapes didn't you?

i remembered one other problem with cassettes: twisted tape, that caused some weird medleys.

Uhhhhhhh

you're clearly not from the 80's, are you?

Old tapes often, from years of use and occasional mishap such as twisting, get kinks in them that make them prone to getting "eaten".

Then there's also stretching, bleeding and distortion.

Man, tapes sucked.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cait M. R.

Tapes sucked unless you were a musician working with tape loops.

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 11, 2009, 01:19:45 PM
Quote from: Z³ on December 11, 2009, 01:22:56 AMIts not a matter of CD's having bad quality. Its just that the difference between an analog recording and a digital one tends to be that digital recordings cut out all the sounds that we cant fucking hear anyway, and audiophiles will often argue that the quality of analog is better as a result, its not an argument I really care about.

it's also not true. try listening to an audiophile that actually knows their shit next time. it's true that there are some things records can do that CD's can't do, but it's nothing that would show up in any blind listener test a serious audiophile would do. Which is why they don't. Because, like food, the difference in listening pleasure of CD versus Vinyl is in the presentation. Unlike food, not many are willing to admit this.

I did say that's an argument I don't take too seriously. Its also one that's not true now, but probably was ten years ago or so. Most of that difference was in regards to shit that human beings cant hear, anyway.

Quote from: 000
No, your so called "advantages" to these old technologies are not the reason why you stick to them.
Actually, they are. There are other reasons too, such as cost (I can usually buy second hand shit dirt cheap), and nostalgia... but I consider them to be genuine advantages.

You are just lazy and reluctant to switch to new technology.
Did I indicate anywhere that I dont use newer technology? I do. I'm just not so quick to scrap the old shit, either.
Also, you called me lazy?!

So don't kid yourself and don't kid us. It's a perfectly good reason. Or at least, it's a lot better and more honest to everyone involved than all the dumb and uninformed excuses you are making.

In no place did I say that the old tech is objectively better, my argument is only that its not obsolete. It still works, and it even has perceived advantages from my point of view, I say that because I continue to use it (in addition to newer tech as well, I obviously own a computer, for example). Dumb and uninformed excuses? IF you don't want to use a VCR, that's fine, I I never insulted your intelligence for using newer technology... so DON'T insult mine for using the old.

QuoteMind you, I'm not even saying that CD's are bad, or DVD's, or anything else. I just dont feel that the old tech loses its value just because newer tech exists.

except that it does, on all fronts, except for the part where you don't want to figure out how to use the new tech.
Does something lose its value because there is something else that's more modern? Do I throw away all of my old appliances to get the newest models? My computer is a little old, perhaps the reason I don't have a newer model is because I am lazy and ill informed? By the logic you present, because I still read books, I'm an ill informed lazy ass who cant figure out to use a kindle. STFU.

QuoteAlso, I dont rebuy cd's , I stopped doing that crap years ago.

Well, duh, I ripped all my CDs to my computer and haven't opened a CD box since. If I lose, break or scratch a CD I will download it, which in that case is actually legal because I already paid the copyrights on it (as it doesn't matter where I get my backup copy from, just that I have the right to own one).
Yeah, the same thing goes for ROMS.

QuoteTypewriters: Its nice to have a writing machine that isn't plugged into the grid.

Stop making excuses, damnit. If you really wanted that, you'd use a fucking pencil. A typewriter is way too clunky to be of any use except nostalgic value.

Actually, I have a pencil, and paper... and I use them. I also have Crayons, Paints/Brushes, various Pens, and other assorted clunky outdated methods of writing/drawing shit. If I follow you correctly, because we have computers now, that makes me a fucking troglodyte.

As far as a typewriter goes, you're probably mostly right about this one. I like the feel of it, but its much less practical than a computer for the purposes of writing, although I find it immensely valuable for its lack of distraction. Sadly, I lost mine on my last move, but I used it frequently.

On the real, all of the advantages I've described are purely subjective, and the things that I continue to use are outdated I generally use because I still like them. Hence, they haven't lost any value, except in the literal monetary sense... they still function, they do what they were designed to do. The advantages I described are found, but in a few cases I think rather practical. I've lost more DVD's and CD's over the years to damage than I have VHS and LP's. Also, the newer forms of technology obviously have their advantages, I leave them unstated because I'm not making a case for them and dont need to, I'm not talking down to anybody because they like technology.

I do however take issue with it if you talk down to me.