News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

A Great Moment in Literary History

Started by LHX, February 08, 2007, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

QuoteThat whole night I heard wings of some kind, and I walked about trying to protect my head with my arms from those wings. Then there was a chair, but not like one of our chairs now - this one was old-fashioned, made of wood. And I'm moving my legs like a horse (right foreleg and left hind leg, left foreleg and right hind leg). Then the chair runs right up to my bed and jumps in. And I make love to the wooden chair. It was uncomfortable. It hurt.

from We, Yevgeny Zamyatin

anybody read this joint?

that chair intimacy scene had me rollin
neat hell

LMNO

I've heard of him, but haven't had time to read him yet.

AFK

Now that's "having a seat"
I think I may need to look for this book. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

That's pretty awesome. Is the character hallucinating or something? Is the whole book like that?

Cain

Sounds like some of Will Self's earlier stuff.

LMNO

Hey, another Will Self reader!

The Sweet Smell of Psychosis was awesome.

Cain

Well, I've mostly read his column in the Independent over here, but I did pick up Cock and Bull a few years ago.  He also did a stint on Grumpy Old Men on BBC 2 a while back.

LMNO

I just finished Cock & Bull a month or so ago.  Good stuff.

Have you read "Dorian"?  It's an updated "Dorian Grey", set in the oh-so-gay 1980's London.

Cain

Sounds interesting.  I have to spend more time in a library which doesn't only have honking great economics theory textbooks.  Though, this morning, I did discover the occult section of the University's library. 

Much lulz will come of this.  I will report what I find out.

LMNO

Methinks you should be inserting propoganda in said books.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on February 08, 2007, 07:26:55 PM
Sounds interesting.  I have to spend more time in a library which doesn't only have honking great economics theory textbooks.  Though, this morning, I did discover the occult section of the University's library. 

Much lulz will come of this.  I will report what I find out.

let me know if there's anything worth acquiring for the SSOOKN archives.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

I'll add propaganda when I fix my printer.  And I'll let you know what I find.  Probably wont go there until next week, however.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on February 08, 2007, 07:29:05 PM
I'll add propaganda when I fix my printer.  And I'll let you know what I find.  Probably wont go there until next week, however.

groovy.  :hippie:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: LHX on February 08, 2007, 06:09:06 PM
QuoteThat whole night I heard wings of some kind, and I walked about trying to protect my head with my arms from those wings. Then there was a chair, but not like one of our chairs now - this one was old-fashioned, made of wood. And I'm moving my legs like a horse (right foreleg and left hind leg, left foreleg and right hind leg). Then the chair runs right up to my bed and jumps in. And I make love to the wooden chair. It was uncomfortable. It hurt.

from We, Yevgeny Zamyatin

anybody read this joint?

that chair intimacy scene had me rollin

Fantastic book, and probably the most feasable dystopia I've ever read. Must've missed that part though (or some turd abridged it and I bought that publishing.)
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LHX

i love the book

structurally and plotically
neat hell