News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

I Am Free

Started by POFP, March 29, 2014, 01:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: Hoopla on March 31, 2014, 05:45:32 PM
It can also lead to shit like the Leopold & Loeb case... so, you might wanna watch that.

I try to "watch" every consciously comprehensible action or thought that goes through my head that stands out as abnormal. I apply a hypothesis to past events, actions, or/and or thoughts. If it's dangerous/counter-productive, then I make a will-full effort to recognize and remember the negative connotation to that action, in an attempt to limit that thought or action.

For example, in realizing I had a predisposed urge to control [relationships/situations that weren't any of my business], I proposed the idea that I may be predisposed to dominant behavior over many things in my life (past and present). I held this up against long-term memories, going all the way back to my early childhood. Many specific events immediately stood out, so it seemed I was right. When looking at other less specific events with this new perspective, I decided it was next to certain. It was so blatant, in hindsight, that it appeared to me to be genetic. Regardless, the urge was real, and I didn't approve of it. So now I consciously and linguistically "shine light on it" every time it surfaces. The effects of the urge have been reduced significantly over the past month.

Does this all seem really pretentious to you? I feel pretentious typing it out. Maybe I'm just over-complicating something everyone else already does. I've never heard anyone put it into words before, so I have no idea. ^

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 08:20:35 PM
So this thread is basically angst?

TGRR,
Doesn't get it.

Angst? No. I'm quite satisfied with everything at the moment.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Reginald Ret

The first few pages were interesting, but the inside of your head bores me now.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

POFP

Quote from: :regret: on March 31, 2014, 08:59:37 PM
The first few pages were interesting, but the inside of your head bores me now.

It bores me, too. That's why I read stuff like Crowley and RAW. That's also why I like this forum.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Pæs

Is your existential angst useful to you? Try pragmatism: realise your solipsism is meaningless and reject it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on March 31, 2014, 09:32:38 PM
Is your existential angst useful to you? Try pragmatism: realise your solipsism is meaningless and reject it.

I call this the GOYA technique (details on request), and alongside Nigel's patented "Go for a fucking walk" methodology, can actually make you happy WITHOUT pretending that you're mahdgickqual.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 09:38:22 PM

I call this the GOYA technique (details on request), and alongside Nigel's patented "Go for a fucking walk" methodology, can actually make you happy WITHOUT pretending that you're mahdgickqual.

I am interested in details.

It took me a fair while to move from "Aw man, reality is really complicated and might not even make sense" to "oh well, best start working on a worldview that allows me to function".

If you're interested in functioning, you're not as committed to your nihilism as you think you are and might as well focus on getting well.

POFP

Reject it because it doesn't make sense? Or reject it because its, according to you all, "hurting me/making me feel angst?"

I see it as a possible (not plausible) way of describing my existence. Disregarding it would only serve the purpose of rejecting the scientific method AND pragmatism. I have found that some ideas contradict this existential description. But that doesn't mean that it is absolutely incorrect. If anything, I should remain agnostic on it all, and only delve deeper into the ideology to learn more about myself. This whole discussion, resulting from this idea of Solipsism, has introduced me to a plethora of possible conditions I may have, and has resulted in numerous ways in which I could alternatively view myself as a human.

It has been, overall, destructive and constructive - Both of which I describe in the most positive connotation. I am uninjured by this temporary ideology, much like the other infinite ideologies I will/have adapt/adapted. Function is my purpose, science is my method when I'm conscious of the effort.

My problem is that I speak with unjustified certainty. But that is because I've been taught to speak this way. I'm working on it. That is what confuses you, I think.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on March 31, 2014, 09:43:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 09:38:22 PM

I am interested in details.

It took me a fair while to move from "Aw man, reality is really complicated and might not even make sense" to "oh well, best start working on a worldview that allows me to function".

If you're interested in functioning, you're not as committed to your nihilism as you think you are and might as well focus on getting well.

GOYA is the time-tested methodology of Get Off Your Ass.  If you want something, you take steps to GET that something.  You do not waste time chargin' sigils or doin' kaos mahdgickque.

For example, you need a job.  By the GOYA technique, you write a resume, and plaster it everywhere.  It's amazing, but it works!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

BUT UNCLE ROGER, WHAT AM I TO DO WITH ALL THESE PARTIALLY CHARGE SIGILS?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on March 31, 2014, 09:59:50 PM

Reject it because it doesn't make sense? Or reject it because its, according to you all, "hurting me/making me feel angst?"

I see it as a possible (not plausible) way of describing my existence. Disregarding it would only serve the purpose of rejecting the scientific method AND pragmatism. I have found that some ideas contradict this existential description. But that doesn't mean that it is absolutely incorrect. If anything, I should remain agnostic on it all, and only delve deeper into the ideology to learn more about myself. This whole discussion, resulting from this idea of Solipsism, has introduced me to a plethora of possible conditions I may have, and has resulted in numerous ways in which I could alternatively view myself as a human.

It has been, overall, destructive and constructive - Both of which I describe in the most positive connotation. I am uninjured by this temporary ideology, much like the other infinite ideologies I will/have adapt/adapted. Function is my purpose, science is my method when I'm conscious of the effort.

My problem is that I speak with unjustified certainty. But that is because I've been taught to speak this way. I'm working on it. That is what confuses you, I think.

This is needlessly complicated.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on March 31, 2014, 10:05:04 PM
BUT UNCLE ROGER, WHAT AM I TO DO WITH ALL THESE PARTIALLY CHARGE SIGILS?

Bury them in the back yard and wash your hands.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 10:29:08 PM

This is needlessly complicated.

I agree, but I lack the will to give it another go. I've explained as simply as I see possible at the moment. I might try to re-word/-write this later. No promises.

Pæs

I guess if you're enjoying the navel-gazing, you might as well keep it up.

I don't think it's a spectator sport, though, so you've lost my interest.

POFP

A difference in perception then, I've concluded.

Regardless, all feedback from everyone has been helpful so far. I expected nothing less from this forum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

GO OUTSIDE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."