News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Doing some research for a sci-fi story

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 30, 2013, 03:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 11:18:24 PM
k, well, one of the reasons i wanna be really certain about this is that one of the points of the setting is that upon discovering that time travel is a thing, they immediately sought to capitalize on the tech in the greediest way possible using many creative variations of the whole "going back to deposit all your money in your preferred bank the day they were established and then collecting on all that interest years in the future" scam. In this world, CEOs do this all the time, with varying shades of James Bond-esque supervilliany in mind. So all of these changes results in all sorts of created alternate universes with crazy historical results. Some results in blasted landscapes of what used to be earth, some are markedly better than what would've happened in any case, and some are almost the same except for some specific details.

Problem is, the people investing would have no chance at all of getting a return.  None.

If you send energy, matter, or even information back in time, the universe can't accept it without violating conservation of energy.  That means a split HAS to occur, and the transported energy, etc, has to be in the NEW branch, not the old.  So the rich bastard sending it back just loses it.  AND something, probably something very loud and ugly and most likely LOCAL, is going to happen to account for the loss of energy in THIS universe, the same way "Ashtekar loops" tangle to retain gravity (and thus energy) when mass leaves the universe in the case of a Black hole. 

Uncle Albert takes no prisoners.  The universe will put up with any amount of fuckery, except when conservation of energy is in question.  Hell, "quantum tunneling" is the universe doing "Enron accounting" to accomodate both the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and conservation of energy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 30, 2013, 11:24:40 PM
k, well, one of the reasons i wanna be really certain about this is that one of the points of the setting is that upon discovering that time travel is a thing, they immediately sought to capitalize on the tech in the greediest way possible using many creative variations of the whole "going back to deposit all your money in your preferred bank the day they were established and then collecting on all that interest years in the future" scam. In this world, CEOs do this all the time, with varying shades of James Bond-esque supervilliany in mind. So all of these changes results in all sorts of created alternate universes with crazy historical results. Some results in blasted landscapes of what used to be earth, some are markedly better than what would've happened in any case, and some are almost the same except for some specific details.

Problem is, the people investing would have no chance at all of getting a return.  None.

If you send energy, matter, or even information back in time, the universe can't accept it without violating conservation of energy.  That means a split HAS to occur, and the transported energy, etc, has to be in the NEW branch, not the old.  So the rich bastard sending it back just loses it.  AND something, probably something very loud and ugly and most likely LOCAL, is going to happen to account for the loss of energy in THIS universe, the same way "Ashtekar loops" tangle to retain gravity (and thus energy) when mass leaves the universe in the case of a Black hole. 

Uncle Albert takes no prisoners.  The universe will put up with any amount of fuckery, except when conservation of energy is in question.  Hell, "quantum tunneling" is the universe doing "Enron accounting" to accomodate both the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and conservation of energy.
is Quantum tunneling kind of what is going on in that comic i posted?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

hirley0

Quote from: hirley0 on December 30, 2013, 04:47:25 PM
Galaxies have rotated about the center for ?
5pm? WHY DO ALL GALAXIES APPEAR THE SAME AGE
no matter how far away????/
5:11}

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 11:24:25 PM
Also, thoughts on this?
http://dresdencodak.com/2007/09/04/an-exotic-matter/
5:17:17 pm

i guess so: when the curvature ( in Time/space ? was 1/2 way
the second 'ROOM stem faded in faded out of view to the left
of the original = parallel universe ?

time travel} My eXperiaces aRe the dimeMENTION of time can indeed be
streched {slowed) {{ vision becomes accuter) & also compressed |

compressed time ? can result in violent activity | it is my guess
when space ships return to Earth?/? part of what transpires is
the recompression of time | things happen very Quickly | because
upon leaving there was some stretching of the time parameter
when visibility was increased about details of visualized objects.

hirley0

IMO]when events in the space/time continium {a concept i reject
occur for example a mag12 Quake | at some point the ability of
that time is exceeded and a fraction of the amounts gets deposited
into the next higher or lower frame | so what happened makes no
sence, mathametically, as something gets lost or is aquired &not
accounted for.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 11:47:22 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 30, 2013, 11:24:40 PM

is Quantum tunneling kind of what is going on in that comic i posted?

No, quantum tunneling only affects things we Doktors refer to as "very very small".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, bear in mind that the usual rules concerning conservation of energy, etc, may not necessarily apply to Hirley0.

Sort of like how cops don't get parking tickets.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yea, one of these days one of you is gonna hafta let me in on the joke of why Hirley writes like that

LMNO

That's....

That's no joke.  That is Hirley.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 31, 2013, 04:48:47 AM
Yea, one of these days one of you is gonna hafta let me in on the joke of why Hirley writes like that

Joke?

Serious as a heart attack, here...That's not a joke.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 31, 2013, 02:28:59 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 31, 2013, 04:48:47 AM

Joke?

Serious as a heart attack, here...That's not a joke.

I've met him in person, and he even talks in color.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

No offense, but am i correct in assuming i'm not the only one who has trouble reading that?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 31, 2013, 10:08:29 PM
No offense, but am i correct in assuming i'm not the only one who has trouble reading that?

When you can read it, start worrying.

Sometimes Hirley0 just up and talks at you straight.  It's never pleasant.  It's like having a killer whale licking your exposed brain.  They have very rough tongues...He means no harm, but what he tells you isn't good for you.

Odibex Grallspice

Yeah, that hirley stuff makes my brain hurt plenty. Every time though I try to read it.

LMNO

When he speaks to you, and when you can hear, worlds open, and collapse.