News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Free Will

Started by Placid Dingo, March 19, 2010, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Kai on May 22, 2010, 12:13:21 AM
I thought this thread was done with.

Sometimes metaphysics gets bogged down in this crap.

I'll put it down if you like, but I don't really see why I should.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on May 21, 2010, 08:37:11 PM

Regardless, belief in a lack of free will has less utility than the belief that it exists, and not only in mere philosophical terms.

It may be true that you rationalize decisions after the fact. It may be true that the entire experience of control over your decisions is another manifestation of this after the fact monkey brain.

But, true or not, having a feeling of control over your decisions is strongly linked to your mental health and immune system.

Even if it is illusory, it confers a testable, biological advantage over believing it doesn't exist.

This is where the whole thing came from. The idea I wanted to play with is IF we don't ACTUALLY have free will, what accounts for the degrees of autonomy we can be aware of, and chopped it into 'stuff we do', stuff we've discovered we've had our eyes opened to be able to do, and stuff we have absolute technical practical choice over.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.