News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Free Will

Started by Placid Dingo, March 19, 2010, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I think the other problem with free will discussions is the assumption that the mind is somehow separate from the body and the rest of the universe...you know....Decartes style.

Like I said earlier, it either boils  down to "I am part of the universe, the universe is part of me, and everything is connected, intertwined, interdependent",

OR

nihilism

OR

solipsism.

I prefer the first of those. That, and Emergence.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think I like trying to figure out as many 'maybe' configurations as I can... because we're never gonna be able to prove any of them and it likely won't matter if we did!  :lulz: :lulz:

I like the idea of Emergence too... but I dunno if thats juts because I was determined to like it or if I chose to like it  :fap:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 23, 2010, 12:19:55 AM
I think I like trying to figure out as many 'maybe' configurations as I can... because we're never gonna be able to prove any of them and it likely won't matter if we did!  :lulz: :lulz:

I like the idea of Emergence too... but I dunno if thats juts because I was determined to like it or if I chose to like it  :fap:

The best phrase I have found against the uselessness of pure mental fappery is from Biological Systematics by Schuh.

QuoteAs a way of providing a boundary of r what they believed to be the yet-unstated conditions implied in the application of parsimony, Swofford et al. went on to say that "At a minimum, acceptance of an optimal tree under the parsimony criterion requires one to assume that conditions that can cause parsimony to estimate an incorrect tree are unlikely to have occurred." The arguments of Sober and Swofford et al. seem to us to be no more compelling than Descartes' genius malignus--the idea that all of our "perceptions" might be figments placed in our heads by an evil demon. Yes, the evidence could be misleading in some absolute, metaphysical sense, and the hypothesis of relationships implied could be false with respect to the actual historical genealogy. But these are fundamentally untestable claims. The solipsist stands unassailable in his fortress, but neither can he sally forth, so we will pass him by.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

MMIX

I see the sky as blue although I know it isn't
I feel the earth is flat although I know it isn't
I understand my life is directed by my free-will although I know it isn't . . .

PS why do so many of you seem to think that "smaller" decisions are more amenable to "free-will" than "big picture" decisions . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Kai

WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS FUCKING USELESS MEANINGLESS CONCEPT??

No one in this thread has seriously explained to me the concept of free will and why it is meaningful. IT DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING! IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :crankey: :crankey: :crankey:

Rumckle

Quote from: Kai on March 22, 2010, 10:08:15 PM
I think the other problem with free will discussions is the assumption that the mind is somehow separate from the body and the rest of the universe...you know....Decartes style.

Like I said earlier, it either boils  down to "I am part of the universe, the universe is part of me, and everything is connected, intertwined, interdependent",

This.

If you feel like you have free will, then, as far as it effects you, you have it.

Similarly you could say to a Solipsist, it doesn't matter if you are a brain in a vat, you can't do anything about it.

Interestingly, at the moment I am taking a philosophy course on the mind and specifically looking at the extended mind, that you can separate the person from their environment, ie what Kai said. Last lecture we discussed caddisfly larvae, and how you can consider their self built home part of the organism, they are awesome.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Kai

That makes me happy.  :D

I wish I could have been there. I would have expanded upon how the case is more than just a shield, its a respiratory organ that allows maximum siphoning of water along the cuticle, increasing oxygen uptake, an anchor or ballast, and a developmental chamber. In the net spinning caddisflies, its a stationary food collector.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 01:10:12 AM
WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS FUCKING USELESS MEANINGLESS CONCEPT??

No one in this thread has seriously explained to me the concept of free will and why it is meaningful. IT DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING! IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :crankey: :crankey: :crankey:

It makes PERFECT sense, Kai, because Free Will is what allowed Adam and Eve to disobey God's command and eat of the Fruit of Knowledge, which is why baby Jesus had to die on a cross to wash away the sins of humanity with his blood.

Of course. Everyone knows that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Quote from: Rumckle on March 23, 2010, 01:47:16 AM

This.

If you feel like you have free will, then, as far as it effects you, you have it.

But now none of us can have free-will because Kai has said it is a meaningless concept

I am sad now - because it is kind of inevitable that I would be . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Kai

Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 02:05:49 AM
Quote from: Rumckle on March 23, 2010, 01:47:16 AM

This.

But now none of us can have free-will because Kai has said it is a meaningless concept

no one can /not/ have free will either.

Rumckle

Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 02:05:49 AM

Well, if you feel like you don't have free will, then don't worry about it, just enjoy the (meaningless) ride.

@Kai: Wow, caddisflies are cool. :)
(and now I can try and look smart in my tutorial, thanks)

MMIX

Why are you so dead set against the utility of the concept of free-will? Or, to put it another way, - since you are pursuing an ongoing project to devise your own religion is it actually determinism which you find so unacceptable?  

@Rumckle - WTF does free-will have to do with "meaning" . . . ?

Rumckle

I assumed you were sad because a lack of free will for some people indicates a meaningless life, if not then, whatever, my point still stands.

Kai

Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 02:30:30 AM
Why are you so dead set against the utility of the concept of free-will? Or, to put it another way, - since you are pursuing an ongoing project to devise your own religion is it actually determinism which you find so unacceptable?  

@Rumckle - WTF does free-will have to do with "meaning" . . . ?

It's a meaningless concept derived from old religious arguments, and it only has one utility:

Getting into arguments about whether it exists or not.

It's stupid, REALLY stupid, mental fappery. "Like, lets sit around getting high and fap about completely unecessary metaphysical concepts."

MMIX

@Rumckle
Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 01:04:51 AM
I understand my life is directed by my free-will although I know it isn't . . .

Cognitive dissonance FTW!

Maybe I should have said " I experience my behaviour as being self-directed even though I am fully aware that it isn't that simple"

And, yeah, since life is the only game in town, don't just live it - live the fuck out of it . . .