News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Should I date my stepbrother?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 08, 2011, 11:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK JUST KIDDING.

But it has crossed my mind more than once that he is hot hot hot and it always makes me a little uncomfortable to even have that thought. But then I was thinking, what would be the social ramifications of dating a stepsibling? It's not like we were raised together; I didn't even meet him until I was 20. So, it's not actually technically incest. So, why does it still seem so weird to think about it?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

It's not just the genetic similarities that make it incest (at least in my mind). It's also the fact that you were raised together.

And also the fact that if you did, I really wouldn't know what to make of the situation. It would be a continuous loop for me trying to figure out what is up with that. Now imagine if it's you thinking the same loop, and actually being part of it too.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We weren't raised together; I didn't meet him until I was 20.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I already know that legally, it's not incest. But it vaguely creeps me out that I find my stepbrother attractive.

East Coast Hustle

There's no shared DNA with a step-sibling. It may or may not be creepy depending on cultural mores and whether you were raised together in childhood or not, but it's definitely not incest.

Personally, if I had a super-hot step-sister who I hadn't ever even met until adulthood, well, I'd be on it like white on rice.

Of course, I was raised in a culture with minimal incest taboos. They all thought I was weird because I wouldn't have sex with any of my cousins, even the hot ones.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Your Mom on June 09, 2011, 12:29:11 AM

Ah.  Well, at that point, I think it's basically the title of step-brother that makes it weird. I guess if one found themselves seriously considering it, they could ask their parents for a courtesy temporary divorce and un-adoption if adoption by step parent is applicable?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 09, 2011, 12:39:02 AM

Ah.  Well, at that point, I think it's basically the title of step-brother that makes it weird. I guess if one found themselves seriously considering it, they could ask their parents for a courtesy temporary divorce and un-adoption if adoption by step parent is applicable?

I am not asking my dad if I can fuck my stepbrother. We're like, 40.

leln

I'd say don't be too worried about it. Recalling my by-now probably outdated psych classes, people tend to adhere to incest taboos when they're raised as siblings regardless of actual genetics. Siblings who have been separated since birth might find one another sexually attractive, while adopted kids tend not to see their genetically dissimilar siblings as potential mates. I'm too tired to cite sources, so anybody who wants to support or refute this point, please feel free.

On a side note, there are 18th/19th century pamphlets that argue that it's incest for a widower to marry his deceased wife's sister. This shit ain't simple and probably never has been.

Edited because I'm tired and was inadvertently redundant when I first posted.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Your Mom on June 09, 2011, 12:41:18 AM

It was meant to be humorous.

I can't find anything logically wrong with the scenario. If there are no legal implications/genetic implications and you barely see each other, you're basically casual acquaintances. I personally wouldn't go for it, but that's just me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 09, 2011, 12:48:43 AM

As was my reply. :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Your Mom on June 09, 2011, 12:59:33 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 09, 2011, 12:48:43 AM

As was my reply. :)

It struck me as such, just wanted to cover my bases just in case.  :wink:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on June 09, 2011, 12:33:52 AM
There's no shared DNA with a step-sibling. It may or may not be creepy depending on cultural mores and whether you were raised together in childhood or not, but it's definitely not incest.

Personally, if I had a super-hot step-sister who I hadn't ever even met until adulthood, well, I'd be on it like white on rice.

Of course, I was raised in a culture with minimal incest taboos. They all thought I was weird because I wouldn't have sex with any of my cousins, even the hot ones.

The captain of the basketball team and the head cheerleader, in my high school, were first cousins. They were engaged until she got pregnant and disappeared to have an abortion and be shunned by everyone under the sun. He went off to college.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Succulent Plant

Quote from: Your Mom on June 08, 2011, 11:58:59 PM
OK JUST KIDDING.

But it has crossed my mind more than once that he is hot hot hot and it always makes me a little uncomfortable to even have that thought. But then I was thinking, what would be the social ramifications of dating a stepsibling? It's not like we were raised together; I didn't even meet him until I was 20. So, it's not actually technically incest. So, why does it still seem so weird to think about it?

I don't have any step-siblings so this is just conjecture, but if I had a hot stepbrother that I didn't meet until I was 20, I don't think I'd feel any familial connection to him and probably wouldn't hesitate to date him.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Aloe on June 09, 2011, 04:35:41 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on June 08, 2011, 11:58:59 PM
OK JUST KIDDING.

I don't have any step-siblings so this is just conjecture, but if I had a hot stepbrother that I didn't meet until I was 20, I don't think I'd feel any familial connection to him and probably wouldn't hesitate to date him.

I didn't at first, but that was 20 years ago... the conditioning of thinking of him as my "stepbrother" and not "a hot guy my dad knows" is pretty entrenched now. It's funny though; if it was my dad's girlfriend's son, it wouldn't even be an issue. It's purely psychological.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

The problem with dating your step brother is that if it ends badly you will still have to see each other and that might be awkward