News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Discourse 6: The War for your soul...

Started by Trollax, March 31, 2003, 05:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 06:35:10 PM
I think it's a natural step in their development.  I know I once trotted out the "I'm crazy, just... CrAzY!" routine, because I felt like I didn't fit in, had ideas that it seemed other people didn't, and wanted to present myself with a sense of danger out of an instinctive defense response.  I didn't have the words or the knowledge to properly phrase my thoughts, so I went with "crazy".

Of course, that more or less stopped the instant I encountered actual mental illness.

I guess this makes a certain amount of sense.

The thing is, this is really the wrong venue for that kind of thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Everywhere is the wrong venue for that kind of thing.  But it happens, like it or not.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 06:43:02 PM
Everywhere is the wrong venue for that kind of thing.  But it happens, like it or not.

True.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 06:24:51 PM
I really don't understand why all of the n00bs have to trot out the mental illness thing, as if it's going to somehow impress people.

LOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm the main character.  :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 14, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 06:24:51 PM
I really don't understand why all of the n00bs have to trot out the mental illness thing, as if it's going to somehow impress people.

LOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm the main character.  :)

Haha!

Hahahahahaha!

AAAAHAHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AFK

Mental health issues still have a lot of stigma attached to them, even in this day and age.  In the real world, it just isn't something someone is generally going to go out of their way to trumpet or promote.  I don't know why some internet-types think it had this edgy-cache to it, but it doesn't work that way IRL.  Speaking as someone with a brother who has some pretty significant mental health challenges. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 14, 2011, 07:50:40 PM
Mental health issues still have a lot of stigma attached to them, even in this day and age.  In the real world, it just isn't something someone is generally going to go out of their way to trumpet or promote.  I don't know why some internet-types think it had this edgy-cache to it, but it doesn't work that way IRL.  Speaking as someone with a brother who has some pretty significant mental health challenges.  

THIS!

I think the people who actually have these challenges are the last to annouce it to everyone.  I know I never want anyone to know just how fucked up I'm fairly certain I am.

East Coast Hustle

One of my closest inner-circle friends (the children of the members of the smuggling ring my father was part of, all of whom have known each other since birth) committed suicide last month.

As close as we all were, none of us knew he had been struggling with schizophrenia until after he died.

Now, I don't get personally bent when people pull the "LOOK HOW CRAZY I AM!" routine, but it sure makes it obvious that they have some growing up to do and/or don't understand the gravity of actual mental illness.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yep. But for some reason, online, especially on any kind of "alternative religion" site, people are all about "I'M CRAZY! SO LOONY AND UNBALANCED! AND THAT MAKES ME A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!!!"

East Coast Hustle

I suspect that sites like this tend to attract more than their fair share of people who are naturally of above-average intelligence and below-average emotional maturity.

God knows I fit that profile when I first showed up here.

Thankfully, I'm alot dumber now.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

East Coast Hustle

Perhaps. It appears that my growing stupidity is now threatening the underlying tone of the board because I'm too dumb to just angrily lash out at anyone who stumbles in here without even trying to understand them, educate them, or give them a chance to stand on two legs.

I move we abandon the 50-post suggestion and replace it with the one-post suggestion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 14, 2011, 08:43:38 PM
Perhaps. It appears that my growing stupidity is now threatening the underlying tone of the board because I'm too dumb to just angrily lash out at anyone who stumbles in here without even trying to understand them, educate them, or give them a chance to stand on two legs.

I move we abandon the 50-post suggestion and replace it with the one-post suggestion.

Stop whining, it's embarrassing.

Nobody has jumped the guy. Several people, myself included, have made encouraging comments toward him. But he's been a little bristly and people are bristling back.

Tons of people show up here and are received warmly. Little or no comment is ever made about that. What the fuck is the difference? Do you think it's just that Roger's having a bad hair day? No, usually it's because they didn't set our to "impress" everyone with their unique brand of wackiness. In short, they weren't obnoxious.

East Coast Hustle

I missed the part where Khore was being obnoxious.

All I saw was the part where he posted an essay in Spanish, attempted to translate it into English, and was promptly torn apart for not following the party line with no consideration given whatsoever for the language barrier.

East Coast Hustle

And the part where we're all so hell-bent on our own way of thinking about things that we can't be bothered to tone it down for any reason, even a reason as potentially important as attracting some of the 6 billion or so people on earth who don't speak English fluently.

But fuck it, right? I mean, it's WAY more important that we let everyone know that we're not nice AT ALL.