News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Hope this isn't too random - just saw The Signal [slip], with Morpheus from the matrix.  Nice entertaining bender.

Nephew Twiddleton

Sorry to hear it, Suu and Cainad.

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 22, 2014, 03:22:17 AM
Quote from: The Suu on July 21, 2014, 10:32:31 PM
Wake is Thursday and Funeral is Friday. Full Catholic Service. *deep breath*

Rest easy, Gramma. Grampa Sal will be glad to see you after almost 40 years.

My sympathies. Will you be doing a rosary? Is that a thing outside of Latino Catholicism?

I've only experienced that with my Irish grandmother's funeral. Gravesite. Dad had to nudge me for the decade I was supposed to take. I snapped out of my grief, did the decade, went back to grieving. There was no order to it. Dad just saw fit that it was my turn. Catholic funerals in Boston are a bit different. At least as far as my mother's family is an indicator. No rosaries here. Gravesite is a little more personal to the deceased. Rural Ireland is more formulaic. I suspect it relies on level of religiosity.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Suu on July 22, 2014, 05:21:22 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 22, 2014, 05:06:09 PM
Quote from: The Suu on July 22, 2014, 05:04:53 PM
They just changed the wake to tomorrow. There is no way I can get down there.

FUCK THIS FUCKING SHIT I FUCKING HATE THIS THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT
That's awful :(

I just called my Uncle, there's nothing they can do. It was out of most of their control. That is the time they could get, and since she's being interred next to my grandfather in Bethpage, they cannot have the burial on the weekend.

Fuck.

Suu

My family has snapped. They're somewhere in the middle of North Carolina as we speak, and I'm getting texts from 3 out of 4 of them about how the Carolinas should forever be called the Crackalackins, because it's more fun to say.

North Crackalackin.

Here's one of the last pics of my Gramma, btw. She doesn't look like she's almost 90. She was still working and living on her own. This is why we're all just so devastated. But when it's your time, it's your time. I just keep reminding myself that old people die. It's going to be very weird not getting a birthday card from her this year. I know that sounds superficial, but she had this amazing gift to know exactly when to send a card and it would get to you, on your birthday, covered in stickers and smiley faces. Motherfucker, that is KILLING ME RIGHT NOW.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

My genetics final is in 9.5 hours.

Knowing how easily I wake up in the morning, I think I might have to just power through on a caffeine binge, get a few hours in at work and crash the fuck out.

Twid Bauer.

Nephew Twiddleton

minuspace

Even just 20 mins. light sleep/rest helps me defrag after cram / before heading to exam.  Upon rising I just skim material for revision - just to retrace the structure of the data chunks already crammed into memory wetware.  Without sleep, I would skip revision and just get as far as I can.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on July 23, 2014, 04:50:59 AM
Even just 20 mins. light sleep/rest helps me defrag after cram / before heading to exam.  Upon rising I just skim material for revision - just to retrace the structure of the data chunks already crammed into memory wetware.  Without sleep, I would skip revision and just get as far as I can.

When I'm out, I'm out. I am a very heavy sleeper. It's unfortunate, because I am going to be dragging some serious ass, but I'd rather be dragging ass and taking the final rather than sleeping through it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Let's put it this way. When the alarm goes off, it wakes me up just enough that I think I'm awake enough to get up, but to take 5 more minutes for snooze. That half awake hand is very indiscriminate though.

Nephew Twiddleton

At this point too, it's very hard for me to shut my brain up. Last night I stopped studying at midnight but couldn't get to sleep until almost 4 am. I woke up at almost noon. It's 1 am in Boston now. There's no other choice at this point. That's part of the reason I'm a night owl. I do most of my thinking too late in the night, and then I want to keep thinking until I'm exhausted.

On the bright side, school is one stop away on the T. Ten minute walk to the train, two minutes on the train, one minute walk to school. So when I pass that exam in, I have the option of falling asleep within 15 minutes.

Nephew Twiddleton

Junkenstein

Potential new employer seems sensible enough. Brand new is some regards so I can have myself all kinds of fun.

It's probably the first interview that I've treated like an interrogation though. I don't think he really expected me to be interviewing him.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

My family is already on Long Island. They sent me a picture of the Verrazano Bridge about a half hour ago. I have no idea how they did it that fast. They left Clearwater yesterday afternoon. My brother must have waited for my dad to finally fall asleep and punched the hyperdrive in Virginia, because when I talked to them at midnight they were still in North Carolina.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Junkenstein

While that sounds like an improvement, just give him a quick tap to calm down. The last thing you lot need to be dealing with is a bullshit traffic violation issue in a totally different state. Also, you know, the road death stats thing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 23, 2014, 12:52:05 PM
While that sounds like an improvement, just give him a quick tap to calm down. The last thing you lot need to be dealing with is a bullshit traffic violation issue in a totally different state. Also, you know, the road death stats thing.

Well my father notorious drives like a pansy, and he had first wheel. My brother took over around 10pm and my dad stayed up for 2 hours yelling at my brother to slow down. He finally conked out, and they hit DC at asscrack, and then NYC within a reasonable window for traffic. Dad's driving in LI right now, because well, he knows the way without GPS. My brother is also calm in the face of stress, whereas my dad is probably in no condition to be driving.