News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

3D terrain molds

Started by Cramulus, February 10, 2012, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I was going to buy a set of Dwarven Forge tiles off a friend of mine, but he ended up selling them to somebody else. I love 3D terrain, and Dwarven Forge stuff is pretty much the corvette of tabletop accessories. So now I want some more 3D stuff.

I found a link to this website which sells molds you can use to build your own 3D tiles:

http://www.hirstarts.com/

So for $29, you can get a mold of some architecture, pour some plaster in there, glue together the little bricks, and voila, a cool 3D hallway for little miniatures to march around in.

after you pop stuff out of a mold and paint it, it looks like this:

then you build the thing:

then eventually it looks like a (crappily assembled) version of this!

I'm thinking about buying some of this stuff, even though that definitely commits me to a lot of arts-and-crafts time. What do you guys think? Is there other 3D terrain out there that's worth checking out?

Elder Iptuous

that's pretty damned sweet!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on February 10, 2012, 06:21:03 PM
I was going to buy a set of Dwarven Forge tiles off a friend of mine, but he ended up selling them to somebody else. I love 3D terrain, and Dwarven Forge stuff is pretty much the corvette of tabletop accessories. So now I want some more 3D stuff.

I found a link to this website which sells molds you can use to build your own 3D tiles:

http://www.hirstarts.com/

So for $29, you can get a mold of some architecture, pour some plaster in there, glue together the little bricks, and voila, a cool 3D hallway for little miniatures to march around in.

after you pop stuff out of a mold and paint it, it looks like this:

then you build the thing:

then eventually it looks like a (crappily assembled) version of this!

I'm thinking about buying some of this stuff, even though that definitely commits me to a lot of arts-and-crafts time. What do you guys think? Is there other 3D terrain out there that's worth checking out?

Did you say "hallway"?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

What's the pliers for? To keep em together while the glue dries?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Arim the Backwards One

Hmm, that looks pretty awesome. My DM is cheking some 3D terrain maps as well, i don't remeber where(i could ask him, if you're looking for other places to buy it, though..)
I'll recommend this to him - he's not really the DIY type, but i am big time. I'd love to build some of our main places with it :)
Trying Too Hard since 1997
---
"If you can't laugh at the darkness, that's when the darkness takes over." - Amanda Fucking Palmer