News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

KOMMISSAR HJULER + FRAU

Started by E.O.T., January 12, 2010, 08:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

EITHER

Kommissar Hjuler ist die folgende beste sache zu chardonnay und zu einem warmen feuer

OR

A little over a decade ago, I was visiting with a friend in Holland, who deals in experimental music. Somewhere between 2 or 4a.m., some hand made CD's on his stock shelf caught my eye. They were crude and adolescent, with an innocence of purpose.  When I asked him what the hell it was, he proceded to tell me about this guy who called himself KOMMISSAR HJULER, who would put political flyers around Hamburg promoting some DADA / Aktionist- style nonsense political identity. He had once addressed a bustling square of shoppers from a hotel balcony, complete with wind waving banners, screaming about a meaningless, spontaneously fabricated movement. He had been known to find empty lecture halls at a local university and carry on in this same manner, whilst students drifted in confused, certain this was the location of their next class but not having any idea who this guy was or what he was talking about. My friend put a record on, as a sample -  and for me, it was one of those life changing moments, which tears and warps all definition of what is possible. As I held the sleeve, a hand-made, heavy gatefold, decorated with some photos of flowers and wallpaper, the sound of a hand held cassette recorder played repetitions of burps and belches for what seemed at least ten minutes. Then something like crunchy noises and snippets of conversation. Huh...

I began corresponding with Detlev Hjuler when I got back to the states and he's continued to be one of the most decent and inspiring artists I'm very happy to call a friend. Detlev is the kind of music artist who concieves an idea, does it throughout the day, makes the art for it (usually in editions of 4 - 36) and then moves on to the next urge that overtakes him. By the time he and I embarked on our first project together, (2005),  Detlev had self released nearly 100 recordings on cassette, Lp and CDR. Detlev continues to issue recordings on hand pressed acetate vinyl in small amounts, always creating all of the sleeve design himself. One thing Detlev really turned me onto was the fun creative project of the 'anti-record'. Taking applicable elements from his life which are somewhat round, punching a hole in it and, boom, instant art thing. I received a package from him once which was a clear jewel case, the title "presswurst" neatly engraved in the plastic spine, along with a catalog number, and inside was what looked like a piece of Canadian style bacon, with a hole punched in the center - the anti-CD. Brilliant. And it was already molding.

I could go on and on, I love him so much, but here's a clip of his called "Apple-Gretchen"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sSVHptalc

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is like the ultimate lolwhut.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Personally, I think Detlev is the most schreklich* name you can give a child.

*Mein Deutsch is total verschissen.   
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The French guy my photographer friend had with him yesterday turned out to be German.

This thread reminds me of that.

Also, seriously, that may have been the high point of my life, so I would not mind talking about it some more.

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 12, 2010, 08:12:54 AM
Hey, have you met hirley0?

EITHER

Not aware of them(?) Is that someone on the board?

OR

I guess with Kommissar Hjuler, one thinks it's absolutely a mega lolwut, or "...NEXT!"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 12, 2010, 08:25:30 AM
The French guy my photographer friend had with him yesterday turned out to be German.

Also, seriously, that may have been the high point of my life, so I would not mind talking about it some more.

Do tell!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on January 15, 2010, 03:24:10 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 12, 2010, 08:25:30 AM

Do tell!

:lulz: I've sadly already forgotten much of why I loved it so much, but I will say that working with an artist like Jake was really pleasurable because he told me exactly, exactly what to do and when to do it, and it was pretty goddamn neat being treated like a diva. And the German guy was clearly awed, which made me feel regal and bashful at the same time.

Cainad (dec.)

He must be very good at what he does. I can tell because of his name.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on January 15, 2010, 03:31:05 AM

:lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 15, 2010, 04:06:31 AM

I didn't realize that one of our ranks had already been dispatched to settle your bad mood that day. Had I known I might not have put my phone number into your custody. Oh well, it's there for future use.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on January 15, 2010, 05:41:02 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 15, 2010, 04:06:31 AM

I didn't realize that one of our ranks had already been dispatched to settle your bad mood that day. Had I known I might not have put my phone number into your custody. Oh well, it's there for future use.

It may yet be needed. It's good to know that the Jakes are looking out for me.

E.O.T.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel