News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Eris' Stitch'n'Bitch--AKA the Discordian Craft Corner

Started by Toots, January 13, 2006, 06:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toots

Crafty Discordians meet here!

Looks like a number of us like to knit, crochet, embroider etc. so this thread will be a great place to share tricks of the trade, post fun patterns we've found or links to helpful websites.

I'm working on a very simple scarf right now, but I found a site that shows you how to incorporate beads into knitting--so even if you only know the simplest of knitting stitches you can make your handywork look amazing! I'm trying it out now, it's not complicated and so far it's looking great!

Check it out: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/020502_a.asp

Also: I would love to know how to crochet. Does anyone have any pointers for getting started? Books, sites, or personal tips would be most welcome.
I'm laughing, but it's a laugh of impatience.

If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone[/b]
Lenny Bruce

Bella

I posted this on the bar and grill a little while ago.......looky, I want to knit like her.

"I so like this person and her ezine, The AntiCraft: " http://www.theanticraft.com/index.htm

just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Needles and cords and threads and other implements of tortu, er, I mean creativity, yeah, that's it  :lol:

Toots

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomI posted this on the bar and grill a little while ago.......looky, I want to knit like her.

"I so like this person and her ezine, The AntiCraft: " http://www.theanticraft.com/index.htm

That rules! Knitting with wire? Super cool.
If you take a look at her Swamp Witch scarf--that's the kind of scarf I'm making right now and it looks great with beads added.

I want to knit a voodoo doll! Woo hoo! New project.  :D

Lenny Bruce

Toots

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyNeedles and cords and threads and other implements of tortu, er, I mean creativity, yeah, that's it  :lol:

Knitting on public transit is best way to not get pestered IMO. Nobody messes with a woman with two sharp needles in her hands.  :lol:

Lenny Bruce

DJRubberducky

I've not taken up knitting or crochet, but I've seen the book on crocheting with wire and it fascinates me.

I do sewing, calligraphy, and a little macrame.  (I've known how to do macrame for years, and my bellydance troupe occasionally wears beaded macrame belts.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Bella

I saw something on the net about knitting with wire and it looked very cool.
So does the idea of macrame belts.
I have some that I bought, but it would be more fun to make them.
Do you have patterns, DJ?
just like in a dream

DJRubberducky

Yes and no. :D  My teacher charted things out on graph paper before we actually assembled the belts.  The down side to her method is that it depends on itself - when she took our measurements in order to draft our patterns, she took it in terms of beads, not in terms of inches.  Using my thumb and my memory, I'd like to say 2.5 beads/inch is a decent guesstimate, but she refuses to even try.

The basic technique is fairly straightforward for those already familiar with macrame, though.  Sneak peek at a finished product:
http://www.whosesarinow.com/bellybeauties/BB2.asp

SUPPLIES:
1/2" thick foam core board (poster-size - dunno exact dimensions)

3 art clips (oversized binder clips will also work in a pinch)

10-12 skeins 2mm Amy Cord (macramesuperstore.com is where we shop)

1000-2000 plastic pony beads (if using metallic beads, spray with clear sealant first or all the shiny will rub off and you will be sad)

One paper-wrapped twist tie (like you get in the produce section of the supermarket)

Hot glue and gun

----

INSTRUCTIONS:

Open one skein of cord.  Cut three lengths that are twice the long dimension of the foam board.  Wrapping the cord around either side of the board is the easiest way to get that measurement.

Now that you have three lengths, slip them to the foam board and braid them together.  Firmly, but not so tight that the braid has "bubbles" in it.  This is your "waistband".  You'll be tying these ends together to wear the belt, and you'll be mounting all the other cords to this.

Measure from your waist (or where you want the belt to start on you) down to about mid-thigh.  Add a few inches.  Add several, actually - you're skinny.  Now, quadruple this measurement.  This is how long you need to cut the cords that will be making up the width (height?) of the belt.  (My teacher is a fellow big girl, and she'd always used "4x desired length" as her fomula.  Apparently this formula falls apart with skinny people - many of my classmates had enough cord to actually knot the belt part, but had almost nothing left for a fringe.)  You need to cut two cords for every bead in your measurement.  Again, I can't guarantee my conversion rate really works.  I'd suggest starting with about 80% of the projected number and then trying it on after you add the first row of beads, to see if you need more.

Mount all the belt cords to the waistband using clove hitches.

Starting from the far left, knot a row of square knots.

Skip over to cord #3 from the left and knot another row.  Y'know, offset from the first row.

Tear the paper off the twist tie; fold the twist tie in half to form a very skinny U shape.

Starting from the far left again: take cords #2 and #3 and rest them in the twist tie.  Thread a pony bead on the twist tie, and gently push it onto the cords.  Wiggle the bead up to the top and tie a square knot under it. Repeat across the row.

(Stop here and try on the belt to see if you need to add or remove beads.  Future steps will assume the belt is fitted properly.)

Add another row of beads, starting the first knot with cord #3 (y'know, like you did the second row of square knots.)

Keep alternating rows of beads until you have the belt as tall / wide as you like.  By skipping knots, you can make triangular or scalloped patterns - again that's more a question for the graph paper.

To make the belt fringe, thread a few beads on to each individual cord.  Tie the cord with a triple round knot (keep tying round knots on top of themselves to make it big and fat), then put a blob of hot glue onto each knot and shove the beads down into the glue to hold one of them in place.  Trim the cord just under the knot.  Lighting the cord to fuse it is NOT recommended - it creates sharp edges that will snag your clothing.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

DJRubberducky

P.S.  The fringe in the picture was created by threading one bead and knotting it in the middle of the belt cord, then threading on the rest.  In such a case, you only need a single knot under that "floating" bead.  Maybe a double if the cord is particularly skinny (I found yellow to be skinnier than light blue, for example, even though both are billed at 2mm).
- DJRubberducky

Bella

Wow......that's so cool. It's beautiful.
My macrame belts are nothing like that one.

Thank you so  much.
I think I'll order some supplies and give it a try.
just like in a dream

Toots

That belt was beautiful! Looks like it would be easy to make it a more casual belt by modifying it just a little and forgoing the fringe or making it shorter.

I'm going to give it a try! Although the only macrame I've ever made was a flower pot holder. So I may have some questions.  :)

Lenny Bruce

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

hand sewing is teh slow.
i need a machine so the world will be happy  :(

Bella

Quote from: mian tiao Fredhand sewing is teh slow.
i need a machine so the world will be happy  :(
Me, too.
Right now if I want to sew something I have to do it by hand.
Did you make all those nifty outfits by hand, Fred?
You do good work.
just like in a dream

Toots

Hand sowing = the suck.

I wish I had a sewing machine too! Why are sewing machines so expensive? I'm continuing to hope to find some reasonable used version, so far, no luck.

Back to knitting info. If anyone is learning right now, this is a super simple project that will go over gangbusters with any fan of Dr. Who that you might know. It's the Doctor's scarf!

Here are the step by step instructions and a pic of the finished product.

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/drwho/drwhoscarves.htm

For those who are super new to knitting--garter stitch is the most basic stitch, so if you're taking a class or someone is showing you how to knit, this is the first thing they'd teach you how to do.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blgarter.htm

And if you really don't know how to knit at all and want to learn, let me know and I can explain the basics--which are enough for the Dr. Who scarf!

Lenny Bruce

Toots

Lenny Bruce