News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Boyd Bushman | Deathbed Disclosure

Started by Telarus, November 01, 2014, 03:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 21, 2014, 02:14:21 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 21, 2014, 01:05:03 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 21, 2014, 12:41:39 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 05, 2014, 03:04:07 AM
I actually listened to the whole thing at work. And here's my thought:

Why would we need to employ 18 extraterrestrials to reverse engineer their own technology?

I don't think claims of extraterrestrial contact legit (particularly this one; according to Snopes and Doubtful News and a number of other sources the "alien" in Bushman's photos is a mass-produced Halloween decoration [the writer from Snopes added that he was even  able to find one at his local Walmart]) but nonetheless This isn't necessarily a valid point. Do you know how most of the technology that you personally use works, in anything more than a very broad and general sense? And even if you did do you think you could repair or replicate it without the proper tools? Even if they did have complete knowledge of the technologies in question they'd still have to find a way build the tools necessary to build them, and to build the tools to build the tools; even, by analogy, if you know how to make microchips you may not know how to make a machine that etches silicon. Imagine trying to repair or duplicate an mp3 player using tools from Leonardo da Vinci's workshop.

Let me get this straight.

You would expect the Enterprise to not have a Scotty and a back-up Scotty?

More of a City on the Edge of Forever, Spock trying to repair a tricorder with vacuum tubes type thing; but more so, I think he had an unrealistically easy time with that.

The Guardian isn't involved here. We're talking about crashed crafts. Crafts, plural.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 21, 2014, 03:07:13 AM

Why would we need to employ 18 extraterrestrials to reverse engineer their own technology?

I don't think claims of extraterrestrial contact legit (particularly this one; according to Snopes and Doubtful News and a number of other sources the "alien" in Bushman's photos is a mass-produced Halloween decoration [the writer from Snopes added that he was even  able to find one at his local Walmart]) but nonetheless This isn't necessarily a valid point. Do you know how most of the technology that you personally use works, in anything more than a very broad and general sense? And even if you did do you think you could repair or replicate it without the proper tools? Even if they did have complete knowledge of the technologies in question they'd still have to find a way build the tools necessary to build them, and to build the tools to build the tools; even, by analogy, if you know how to make microchips you may not know how to make a machine that etches silicon. Imagine trying to repair or duplicate an mp3 player using tools from Leonardo da Vinci's workshop.

It's a completely valid point. An expensive craft that could be damaged and stranded in space? Even humans know not to do that. Anyone with interstellar travel is gonna be a lot smarter than we are, so yeah, they might not be able to build one from scratch but they're sure as hell going to have a comprehensive understanding of how to fix it. Every single crew member is likely to be trained to do every job on board.

If I was a big giant head, and I was sending a couple of dudes on a mission to a planet several light years away an knowing that even despite apparent ability to get around light speed something could go wrong, I would make damn sure if anything went wrong the crew was amply sizable and knowledgeable to fix it.

Nephew Twiddleton

The most important parts about there being 18 extraterrestrials who are in the US government's pay is that:

-US dollars are meaningful to them
-they can't get back on their own
-Their government isn't in contact with us.

The latter of which is the most intriguing. Again, if I were a big giant head, I would go, right, you found my idiots pissing about in New Mexico. Sorry about that, let's open up diplomatic relations, now that you know I'm here, and can I please have my idiots back?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 21, 2014, 03:07:13 AM

It's a completely valid point. An expensive craft that could be damaged and stranded in space? Even humans know not to do that. Anyone with interstellar travel is gonna be a lot smarter than we are, so yeah, they might not be able to build one from scratch but they're sure as hell going to have a comprehensive understanding of how to fix it. Every single crew member is likely to be trained to do every job on board.

By analogy, consider the failed Apollo 13 moon mission: mission control had to devise a way of fixing the oxygen system on the fly.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

LMNO

Telarus

Good discussion. Hmmm, so my odds are now swinging towards "Spooks keeping a brilliant engineer hooked on alien-stories" as the background o this (dude doesn't seem like the kind of guy to attempt a mind-fuck, but who knows).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on November 23, 2014, 06:10:37 AM
Good discussion. Hmmm, so my odds are now swinging towards "Spooks keeping a brilliant engineer hooked on alien-stories" as the background o this (dude doesn't seem like the kind of guy to attempt a mind-fuck, but who knows).

What better way to keep an absolute genius who might also be mildly prone to delusions 100% on board?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain