News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Lucid Dreaming.

Started by Odibex Grallspice, December 27, 2013, 07:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on December 27, 2013, 09:06:41 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 27, 2013, 09:04:28 PM
Quote from: Payne on December 27, 2013, 09:03:25 PM
I don't wanna fuck around with dreams anyway. At worst case that's basically the same as fucking around with your computers filing mechanism when you have no idea what you're doing.

Yeah, if dreams are your brain's way of taking out the trash, why the fuck would you monkey with it?

Odds are, you'll just wind up with the trashman on strike and your head full of garbage.

It would start leaking out your various orifices in a glompy manner.

It would not look 'smart casual' at all.

My neighbors already make signs against the evil eye when I walk out of my house.  No need to push things.

Um, well, yes...Actually there's a real need to push things.  But not with some pseudo-Zen woo.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Payne

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 27, 2013, 09:08:03 PM
I don't wanna fuck around with dreams anyway. At worst case that's basically the same as fucking around with your computers filing mechanism when you have no idea what you're doing.

Yeah, if dreams are your brain's way of taking out the trash, why the fuck would you monkey with it?

Odds are, you'll just wind up with the trashman on strike and your head full of garbage.

My neighbors already make signs against the evil eye when I walk out of my house.  No need to push things.

Um, well, yes...Actually there's a real need to push things.  But not with some pseudo-Zen woo.

"Push things with your truck, not your mind"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on December 27, 2013, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 27, 2013, 09:08:03 PM

"Push things with your truck, not your mind"

Damn right.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bruno

I wouldn't call it "lucid dreaming" per se, but I have made a conscious change in how I behave in my dreams over the years. I never run from anything in a dream, anymore. If anything fucks with me, I murder it to death. Also, no more falling dreams since I learned that you can't fall if you're holding your breath.

I do still get sleep paralysis accompanied by various boogiemonsters. By the time I'm able to gain control of my limbs to choke the shit out of whatever is in my room, it's always gone.  :sad:

Sometimes they come back as soon as I'm asleep again, and I have to get up and punch some walls to let them know I mean business, and that they should get the hell out of my walls.
Formerly something else...

Messier Undertree

The easiest way to induce a lucid dream is to stay awake for 48 hours or more and then sleep for 12 hours or more.

This is also the least healthy way to do it but it has worked for me several times. I wasn't actually trying to lucid dream in those situations but it works.

I've also started to lucid dream during ordinary sleep which might have a lot to do with me having kept a dream diary in the past along with having experienced full control when sleeping after bouts of insomnia.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on December 27, 2013, 07:06:12 PM
Anyone practice it.I mean, it's merely a form of entertainment, not some one stop to enlightenment. I usually end up grabbing titties. Which is a bit shallow, I'll be the first to admit. Generally, with this thread, I'm hoping to get some tips on getting something more substantial out of it.

What is it you want to do? I am shitty at sleeping and as a result I find myself lucid dreaming a lot. All you have to do is realize that you're dreaming, and then you can control what happens, which is really useful when your dreams are frequently horrific.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 28, 2013, 02:37:22 AM
Anyone practice it.I mean, it's merely a form of entertainment, not some one stop to enlightenment. I usually end up grabbing titties. Which is a bit shallow, I'll be the first to admit. Generally, with this thread, I'm hoping to get some tips on getting something more substantial out of it.

What is it you want to do? I am shitty at sleeping and as a result I find myself lucid dreaming a lot. All you have to do is realize that you're dreaming, and then you can control what happens, which is really useful when your dreams are frequently horrific.
I really don't know exactly. That's kind of why I was asking. I really have a lot of respect for the dream world, and was hoping for a more substantial dream experience, I guess. I don't know. I've got the basics of lucid dreaming down and figure about 40% of my dreams are lucid.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on December 28, 2013, 02:45:06 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 28, 2013, 02:37:22 AM

I really don't know exactly. That's kind of why I was asking. I really have a lot of respect for the dream world, and was hoping for a more substantial dream experience, I guess. I don't know. I've got the basics of lucid dreaming down and figure about 40% of my dreams are lucid.

Do you want more interesting things to happen? Because that might require doing interesting things IRL.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 28, 2013, 02:52:57 AM

Do you want more interesting things to happen? Because that might require doing interesting things IRL.
I'm totally allergic to RL interesting things  :sad:

minuspace

The levels of interesting in my dreams enjoy an inverse relation to that same quality in waking life?

Odibex Grallspice

That would actually make sense to me, as dreams, I think, are designed to give you what you're not getting in life.

Reginald Ret

In my experience dreams are for your brain working through the shit your consciousness won't let you work through during the day.
Obidex, I think you are overestimating your worth to reality.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: :regret: on December 28, 2013, 03:29:38 AM
Obidex, I think you are overestimating your worth to reality.
Who could even postulate such a thing? A god maybe.

carnival

I'm quite proficient at it, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on December 28, 2013, 02:56:25 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 28, 2013, 02:52:57 AM

I'm totally allergic to RL interesting things  :sad:

Go watch "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and then talk to me.