OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 09, 2015, 09:32:19 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on June 09, 2015, 07:46:16 PM
Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 09, 2015, 07:37:40 PM
I just read all the shit on Luka. Looked like he was trying to find his way cutting corners while balancing his extreme emotional issues. I found the impersonation and fraud quite comical.

The obsession with killing cats, and the EXTREMELY Histrionic tendencies were a bit odd, though. I've always found attention-seeking to be a waste of time and energy unless it propagated useful information or connections. However, I do not believe this was his goal. He tended to stray far from pragmatism.

I have a friend who may have ended up something like this guy if it weren't for his intelligence, pragmatism, and knack for introspection. He had some interesting experiences with some cats as a kid, as well. He's also quite emotional, and a bit histrionic. He just wasn't nearly as unaware as Luka, here.

I'm sure you could've straightened him out.

Well, my methods can't reach many aspects of neurobiology. Suggestive, self-esteem-based, and ideological manipulation can, at best, cause a certain part of the brain to get more or less activity. If a part of the brain is actually defective, conscious rehabilitation is, as far as I know, impossible.

Certain aspects of experience during early development can influence later behaviors because that's how the developmental stages of the brain work. Early experiences help the brain develop according to the environment it's in. Now, I don't know anything about Luka's childhood, but I'm sure his problem was not on the "nurture" side of the debate. I think his issue was genetically predisposed, meaning he was born with the problem. And his early experiences, even if they weren't that supportive (Of the predisposition's growth), allowed his predispositions to grow into permanent psychological damage. By permanent, I mean: Can't be solved with conscious/subconscious methods of manipulation. It would probably take surgery that neurobiologists aren't at a high enough level to perform yet. I am not an alien neurobiologist.

:hosrie:

I love armchair neuropsychologists.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Fernando, I have a memory of you being sort of ok... When did you become a human trilby?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 09, 2015, 11:30:37 PM
Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 09, 2015, 09:32:19 PM
I just read all the shit on Luka. Looked like he was trying to find his way cutting corners while balancing his extreme emotional issues. I found the impersonation and fraud quite comical.

The obsession with killing cats, and the EXTREMELY Histrionic tendencies were a bit odd, though. I've always found attention-seeking to be a waste of time and energy unless it propagated useful information or connections. However, I do not believe this was his goal. He tended to stray far from pragmatism.

I have a friend who may have ended up something like this guy if it weren't for his intelligence, pragmatism, and knack for introspection. He had some interesting experiences with some cats as a kid, as well. He's also quite emotional, and a bit histrionic. He just wasn't nearly as unaware as Luka, here.

Well, my methods can't reach many aspects of neurobiology. Suggestive, self-esteem-based, and ideological manipulation can, at best, cause a certain part of the brain to get more or less activity. If a part of the brain is actually defective, conscious rehabilitation is, as far as I know, impossible.

Certain aspects of experience during early development can influence later behaviors because that's how the developmental stages of the brain work. Early experiences help the brain develop according to the environment it's in. Now, I don't know anything about Luka's childhood, but I'm sure his problem was not on the "nurture" side of the debate. I think his issue was genetically predisposed, meaning he was born with the problem. And his early experiences, even if they weren't that supportive (Of the predisposition's growth), allowed his predispositions to grow into permanent psychological damage. By permanent, I mean: Can't be solved with conscious/subconscious methods of manipulation. It would probably take surgery that neurobiologists aren't at a high enough level to perform yet. I am not an alien neurobiologist.

If I didn't know better, I'd give this a 91% probability of this being an amazingly nuanced troll.

That would restore my faith in trollmanity. We haven't had a troll that good... well, EVER.

If this is a troll, I want him on my side.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 10, 2015, 12:35:26 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 09, 2015, 11:30:37 PM
Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on June 09, 2015, 09:32:19 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd give this a 91% probability of this being an amazingly nuanced troll.

If I was that good at trolling, I would be making sure I got paid to do it.

You can't make this shit up...

And yet, there you are.  :lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: Hoopla on June 10, 2015, 03:10:22 AM
Fernando, I have a memory of you being sort of ok... When did you become a human trilby?

I just tiptoed through your posts. Turns out I was wrong.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Well, neither of the jobs I had my heart set on panned out, for reasons I am too disgusted with to mention.

Time to look elsewhere.  I have 3 solid leads and some other shit on the back burner.

No regrets, I would have quit that job without ANY idea of where I was going.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

See, the thing about a really, really good troll is that it's not that hard. You just start talking about something that you kind of understand aspects of, a little, and state your partially-understood concepts as if they are incontrovertible facts. You gotta state that shit as if you are some kind of reknowned expert. Then, you wait for someone to correct you, and you double the fuck down. More people will join the fray, it's human nature. Make sure to only partially address anyone's points, and do so in a wall of text that manages to be both condescendingly-toned and also, somehow, just utterly clueless as fuck. It's ideal if you can, in the process, imply or outright accuse others of doing exactly what you're doing, AND, AND AND AND, also imply that they are either stupid.

What's the difference between an idiot and a troll? The troll knows he's wrong.

If you master this troll, you can take it to a higher level by actually being right, but sounding like you're wrong.Then, as the shrillness of the debate escalates, you can slowly nudge your argument toward utter placid reasonableness until your opponent doesn't just look mistaken to an outside observer, but outright insane.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 10, 2015, 03:20:41 AM
Well, neither of the jobs I had my heart set on panned out, for reasons I am too disgusted with to mention.

Time to look elsewhere.  I have 3 solid leads and some other shit on the back burner.

Well, THAT sucks.  :sad: But you're still better off, guaranteed.

Don Coyote

Well, balls.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 10, 2015, 03:23:37 AM

Yeah, well, I'm now stressed for other reasons, but at least I don't have to leave my dignity at home in the morning.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 10, 2015, 03:28:03 AM

Well, balls.

Shit happens.  If all else fails, I can go back to being shady.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 10, 2015, 03:30:37 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 10, 2015, 03:23:37 AM

Yeah, well, I'm now stressed for other reasons, but at least I don't have to leave my dignity at home in the morning.

And that alone is worth it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube