News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

ATTN: ADMINS

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 15, 2012, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 11:06:44 PM
What does ego have to do with any of this?

Sorry, I'm not in the mood to answer lazy ad hominem arguments.
Gotta be honest, dude. Your other posts ITT come off as condescending. Regardless of how you meant them.

In terms of the argument here, I have little opinion on the matter. However, I think Nigel's points here seem to be reasonable enough. On the other hand, if the only solution is to make the profiles completely private, I'm not sure if that's good enough. However, I would not object if that was the case.

Cain

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize my tone invalidated the actual points I raised in my post.

And for the record, this is me being condescending now.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 11:27:56 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize my tone invalidated the actual points I raised in my post.

And for the record, this is me being condescending now.
I didn't say your points were invalid, jackass. I just said that I can fully see why Nigel would say it was about ego. I thought it was clear from the "Regardless of how you meant it." that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. But, I guess not.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 15, 2012, 11:38:49 PM
I didn't say your points were invalid, jackass. I just said that I can fully see why Nigel would say it was about ego. I thought it was clear from the "Regardless of how you meant it." that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. But, I guess not.

Or you were being just another passive-aggressive coward, hedging your bets and trying to have it both ways.

And purposeful omission is invalidation by implication, idiot.  Don't treat me like someone who just stepped off the boat.

Cain

Nigel at least has an argument, even if it comes down to the laughable assertion that people datamining for information will never figure out how to use Google.  Or that name changing, which won't affect cached records or quoted posts, will somehow protect people.

She's wrong.  But at least there was an argument tacked on before the pointless ad hominem attack.  You don't even have that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Um, guys?  There's no need to go bouncing off the walls, here.

We have a bit of a problem with stalkers now and again.  We won't solve it by cutting each others' throats.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well then maybe people should back off and stop attacking me for no damn reason then.

This isn't cutting throats.  This is me being attacked and legitimately defending myself. 

Phox

Quote from: Cain on November 16, 2012, 12:03:41 AM
Well then maybe people should back off and stop attacking me for no damn reason then.

This isn't cutting throats.  This is me being attacked and legitimately defending myself.
No this is you overreacting to perceived slights for no damn reason.

I said Nigel's point made sense, but that with Faust's information, I have no real opinion on the matter. Sorry for summarizing my thought process in light of the most recent information. Allow me to correct that. 

Personally, I'd rather it remained turned on, because 1) I agree with Cain's points and 2) Faust's revelation makes me think that it's not worth the trouble. HOWEVER. Nigel's point, that stalkers are a problem, is a legitimate concern. While the suggested solution is not really a solution, it seems to me that it is something that we should honestly work towards some form of security in this regard.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 11:56:31 PM
Or that name changing, which won't affect cached records or quoted posts, will somehow protect people.
Actually it's worse then that: changing your name changes it for ALL posts previously made which google updates about two to three days after the fact for all those previous records, it would work if you are changing your name all the time and no one could figure out who you were, but someone serious about tracking you will just take down the user profile ID.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

AFK

Being the pessimistic cynic I am when it comes to the internet, my guess is that the only true way to protect your information from stalkers on the internet is to not post it on the internet.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2012, 02:25:45 AM
Being the pessimistic cynic I am when it comes to the internet, my guess is that the only true way to protect your information from stalkers on the internet is to not post it on the internet.

HEY...

Fuck off.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Pretty much this. This isn't a private treehouse. It's a public forum with all of the risks that implies. If there's a way to make it so individual users have the option of making their profiles non-viewable I'm totally fine with that (even though, as already stated, it will do fuck-all for anyone's security) but I'm not turning it off for everyone for what amounts to no real reason at all. Some of us may be fine with our post being searchable, or even prefer it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 03:04:16 AM

HEY...

Fuck off.

Not trying to be difficult, but the reality is, if someone REALLY wants to find stuff, and has even a reasonable amount of internet skills, they will find it.  I could care less about what switches get turned on or off here, but if the goal is to keep a committed stalker (read: completely obsessive) at bay, it's not going to stop them. 

All they have to do is make an account and lurk, or not act as an obvious jackass. 

It's why I am VERY protective of information.  There's a reason only two people on this site know my real name, it's why I don't post pics anymore, it's why I've not posted info about my education.

The fewer crumbs we leave the less likely someone we don't want finding us, will find us.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 16, 2012, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 03:04:16 AM

HEY...

Fuck off.

Not trying to be difficult, but the reality is, if someone REALLY wants to find stuff, and has even a reasonable amount of internet skills, they will find it.  I could care less about what switches get turned on or off here, but if the goal is to keep a committed stalker (read: completely obsessive) at bay, it's not going to stop them. 

All they have to do is make an account and lurk, or not act as an obvious jackass. 

It's why I am VERY protective of information.  There's a reason only two people on this site know my real name, it's why I don't post pics anymore, it's why I've not posted info about my education.

The fewer crumbs we leave the less likely someone we don't want finding us, will find us.

No, you weren't trying to be difficult.  You were trying to be smug.  My father got hassled, I'm obviously pissed about it and the PI they got to actually send the letter didn't come out of any threads.  So the OBVIOUS fucking thing to do is lecture at me like I'm a Goddamn idiot who left his FATHER'S street address on a thread.

Again, fuck off.  Find someone else to whom you can condescend.  Assmonkey.

The Good Reverend Roger

Interestingly enough, the only people who had enough information to get my address and get it wrong are people who were on the original fucked up letters mailing list.