News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

ATTN: PHYSICS SPAGS

Started by Cait M. R., January 01, 2010, 04:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cait M. R.

I'm curious as to whether or not there is a name for electromagnetic frequencies below the ELF radio range, if such things are even physically possible. (Note, this is for a friend who specifically stated that it should be assumed that the hypothetical beings using these frequencies have the means to turn entire solar systems into antennas.)

I'm thinking sub-Hertz (if that's even a technically correct term?) frequencies, like decihertz and below.

If there isn't, could someone offer a plausible name for such?

Thanks!

Cain

Triple Zero

well there's the GNOME range and of course the FAIRY range.

if you go even lower you wind up in the PIXIE range. if you try to go any lower, you will reach a limit, which is the most diminuitive of all frequency ranges, also known as the PAYNE threshold.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 01, 2010, 06:37:00 PM
well there's the GNOME range and of course the FAIRY range.

if you go even lower you wind up in the PIXIE range. if you try to go any lower, you will FALL OFF OF ENGLAND.

Fixed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Cait M. R. on January 01, 2010, 04:58:48 PM
I'm curious as to whether or not there is a name for electromagnetic frequencies below the ELF radio range, if such things are even physically possible. (Note, this is for a friend who specifically stated that it should be assumed that the hypothetical beings using these frequencies have the means to turn entire solar systems into antennas.)

I'm thinking sub-Hertz (if that's even a technically correct term?) frequencies, like decihertz and below.

If there isn't, could someone offer a plausible name for such?

Thanks!

Considering that the ELF is generally between 3 and 30 Hz, are you asking what the range between 1 and 2 HZ is called?

Or are you asking if there are frequencies with a negative Hz range?

If it's the former, the technical term is "too unweildy to produce or use."

If it's the latter, the technical term is "you fail acoustics forever."

Template

LMNO: What about the frequencies between zero and one, equivalent to everything between 1e8 m and infinity (aka DC) in wavelength?  It is you, sir, who has failed at real numbers.  Also, I suspect OP was interested in EM waves--is acoustics the study of those too?

LMNO

First off, the same answer applies.  If the period of the wavelength is equal to the velocity, and the velocity is just under the speed of light, then the wavelength is as good as unusable in any practial sense.

Second, in both acoustics and EM, the term Hertz is used, which means "cycles per second".  In both instances, to say that a wave length has "negative" cycles is retarded.  Point two also stands.

Go back to your corner and shut up, kid.

Igor

Unwieldy to produce/detect indeed. When the US Navy were using ELF to communicate wuth subs, they basically had to use the entire Earth as an antenna. To do anything with lower frequencies (millihertz?) you'd need something much, much bigger.

And since the wave would be of such low energy, you'd have difficulty knowing whether it came from some far off source or a nearby quantum (sorry) fluctuation.

Edit: Those two reasons are probably the same thing.
Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Triple Zero

except that waves are also particles, and therefore Quantum. which means that anything can happen. Except in Tucson.

which, incidentally is why we have seasons occuring in a circular rhythm, because the breakbeat was invented by Eric Clapton.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Template

LMNO: you have escalated in hostility needlessly.  Also, you sounded sleepy or drunk in your last post.  In any case, I only said "you fail" because you did, while making a considerable error.  +++++  @OP: you can raise 480 1-Hz waves in the distance from Earth to Sun.

rong

Quote from: LMNO on January 04, 2010, 08:22:11 PM
to say that a wave length has "negative" cycles is retarded.

i always figured negative cycles to describe a wave moving backward in time.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

Not mentioning values between 0 and 1 after clearly demonstrating that values between 1 and 2 were functionally useless is a "considerable error"?

Clearly, any frequency below 1Hz would have even less pragmatic value.  A wave of 0.5Hz would be twice as long as a wave of 1Hz.  Since we've already shown that a 1Hz wave is longer than the earth's diameter, anything less would be completely useless.  WHICH WAS MY INITIAL POINT, DUMBASS.

Cait M. R.

Not negative. From 0 to 3. Yes, it's useless, but that's okay, because this is for something where the more useless it is the more value it has. (Do not ask me to explain, because I don't know the details and he is not providing them. I asked.) I'm just looking for a reasonable name to give it, unless it already has one. Could you help there?

Jasper

How the hell can you have a 0Hz wave?  You can't.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 04, 2010, 09:24:04 PM
except that waves are also particles, and therefore Quantum. which means that anything can happen. Except in Tucson.

Damn straight.

This thread gave me anal leakage.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.