News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

This thread is now an A Dance With Dragons Spoiler thread.

Started by Disco Pickle, April 17, 2011, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Thread.

anyone doing a party?  I've come to terms with just how much of a fucking dork I am for planning one, but I have good company, so it'll be a house full of dorks.  and my GF, who hasn't read the damn thing yet.  The rest of us have.  She'll just have to suffer.

One of my friends suggested we do it Rocky Horror style and dress up, but only if he gets to be Daenerys.   :lulz:  

Thought I'd pass on that if any of you spags is in to it and wants to watch it but don't have HBO, my cable company was offering 3 months free when I called to ask about it a week ago.  I don't usually watch enough tv to justify the price, but free is nice.  

So here's how you do it, from an old cable company call center rep:  call em up, ask if they can give you a 3 month sampler of HBO.  If they say no, tell em fine, you're just going to cancel and go with (insert major dish network co), be adamant.  They SHOULD send you to the retention dept, where they have more tools available to keep you as a customer.  tell them you want HBO free for the next three months and you'll keep your regular service.  Be nice to the person and they'll likely give you whatever you want, because that's how they bonus.

9 o'clock eastern you fucks.  and it repeats every hour until midnight.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

A Game of Thrones is this book series that the writer has written over the past 20 years or so (with only 3 or 4 books) and still hasn't finished.  Now they're turning it into a TV series.

Disco Pickle

yeah, its been stretched the hell out, and we really should have gotten a Dance with Dragons by now, but he's got two more books planned after it and so I'm ok waiting.  HBO does good work so I expect they'll do this story the right way.

If you haven't read it Nigel, I highly recommend it.  It really is a very good series.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Freeky

Roger told me he refuses to read any more of that guy's works, because he keeps putting off Game of Thrones. :lol:

Kurt Christ

I don't actually own a television now, but I will probably look into finding some way to watch this.
<-also a dork
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Eater of Clowns

Free HBO weekend on DirecTV, so I'll be watching this at work.  The following week I'll catch it on DVR at a family member's place, then I have Sundays off for two months.  So I'm set watching it for the foreseeable future.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Laughin Jude

I don't have any TV service, but that's never stopped me before.

The books are worth reading, though he takes forever to get each one out. They're more politics/murder/intrigue than stereotypical swords and sorcery fantasy. Lots of backstabbing. AFAIK, the War of the Roses was a big inspiration for the story.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Don Coyote

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 17, 2011, 07:49:35 PM
A Game of Thrones is this book series that the writer has written over the past 20 years or so (with only 3 or 4 books) and still hasn't finished.  Now they're turning it into a TV series.

Sounds like Robert Jordan :kingmeh:

Jenne

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, I think I know this one. It's a series Space Cowboy is obsessed with... I started to read the first one, and it made me cry, and then we broke up and I couldn't finish it because of sentimental attachment.

Maybe I will give it another shot at some point when I have less stuff going on... right now I'm having a midlife crisis that involves changing everything about who I am, so I don't have too much time for reading ATM.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cinderflame KSC

Just finished watching that shit, and watching it again. Great shit.

LMNO

Fur trim, big fuck-off swords, and lots if tits. Can't make heads or tails of anyone but the most obvious characters, but I'll keep watching, and get his books after I finish The Hunger Games.

Eater of Clowns

It did feel a bit rushed, between all the characters.  They covered quite a bit of ground with the first episode though, so I feel like it might allow for some time for the more intense moments as the season goes on.

Also, Daenerys.   :fap: :fap:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cinderflame KSC

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 18, 2011, 03:44:14 AM
Fur trim, big fuck-off swords, and lots if tits. Can't make heads or tails of anyone but the most obvious characters, but I'll keep watching, and get his books after I finish The Hunger Games.
Yeah, that's why I'm watching the replay. They're really front-loading this thing to try to get all these plot hooks into the first episode.