Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
There's always space in the back of the van for the people who THINK but do not DO, for the people who SCREAM but do not BREATHE, for the people who KNOW THE BARSTOOL IS COMING but DO NOT DUCK. Your cleverness will not save you.
Aneristic Illusions / Re: General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread
« Last post by Brother Mythos on Yesterday at 11:06:39 pm »
Iíve, pretty much, given up trying to convince people that government is not a business, and that business skills are not transferable into politics.

You think that's fun, try convincing someone that managing government debt and finances best uses an approach diametrically opposite to what works best for individuals and families.

Your basic talking points must be much, much better than mine. Iíve never gotten anywhere close to arguing management of debt and revenue with anyone who thinks governments can be successfully run like a business. But, like I wrote above, maybe itís time for me to rethink my arguments.
Apple Talk / Stream of Consciousness Thingie (CW philosopher abuse)
« Last post by Doktor Howl on Yesterday at 10:21:37 pm »
So, Plato said in Republic "Get rid of all the artists", but I would argue that philosophy is a form of art, as it's basically reflection in need of validation, so Plato can

GET IN THE BACK OF THE VAN

And then there's that asshat Aristotle, who was so convinced of how beautiful his brain was that he insisted that empirical evidence be discarded in favor of logic.  This is objectively stupid and therefore his brain wasn't all that great and he can

VAN VAN VAN

Every single postmodernist, on account of "everything sucks" - implying that this includes their worldview and every idea they ever had, can

GET IN THE BACK OF THE

Stoics, who spend thousands of years saying you shouldn't holler when the rock hits you can ALSO

VAN

4000+ years of navel gazing and wondering what's real, when REAL is the thing that's punching you in the face, deserves only

THE VAN VAN VAN

AND THEN THERE'S THE FUCKING EPICUREANS, who believed that pleasure was the highest ideal, but getting that pleasure was best obtained by living like a trappist monk, ALL I CAN SAY IS

GET IN THE BACK OF THE VAN

(More to follow, when I get a handle on this Guirdaff guy that Cram is always on about.)
Aneristic Illusions / Re: E-Democracy
« Last post by Cramulus on Yesterday at 09:55:46 pm »
WOW, as soon as I saw this thread....  :horrormirth:

But related to the topic --- did you guys see that Maine adopted Instant Runoff Voting? Can't believe it's actually a Thing now.

Apple Talk / Re: The Compleat Billy Chronicles (thanks to Zenpatista)
« Last post by Doktor Howl on Yesterday at 09:03:35 pm »
I am just sitting here watching aggressive stupidity automagically fill a Word document.

Do we even need people at all anymore?  I'll have my machine insult your machine, we'll do lunch.
« Last post by Doktor Howl on Yesterday at 09:02:05 pm »
What's funny is that I AM taking notes, thanks to voice-to-text, which leads me to believe my time could be more productively spent than, say, sitting through a meeting by a "finance" committee formed by people with commercial and/or industrial finance background to advise a non-profit organization.

Seriously, these fuckers have managed to institutionalize "Back in MY day..."
« Last post by Doktor Howl on Yesterday at 08:57:22 pm »
I'm in a meeting using a tablet.  People think I'm taking notes.

This is all horribly familiar.
Aneristic Illusions / Re: E-Democracy
« Last post by LMNO on Yesterday at 08:57:12 pm »
 :magick:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10