News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Turtles all the way down

Started by Ishkur, April 13, 2012, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Depends on perspective. Advancement and protection of the self and one's progeny is is logical from a biological standpoint. Anything that lessens your advantages or resources (like baking someone a cake) is illogical from that angle.

No, species longevity has little impact on that.

It's logical not to cause trouble but not to be generous.

Anna Mae Bollocks

If generosity is ingrained in a culture as a primary virtue, it makes sense. Like the Native Americans making sure everybody ate, had blankets, etc.

It becomes illogical in our culture because there's a good chance the person you gave the cake to will think "OBOY I GOT A LIVE ONE" and try to bleed you dry, or at least not try to reciporocate somehow.

This points up something illogical about the culture itself, IMHO.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

In formal logic, the only thing that's illogical is a contradiction, something that does not follow from the premises given.

Unless you go into high end logic, where things get as weird as it does in high level physics and mathematics.  I recommend not attempting to try and understand that stuff.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
Depends on perspective. Advancement and protection of the self and one's progeny is is logical from a biological standpoint. Anything that lessens your advantages or resources (like baking someone a cake) is illogical from that angle.

Balls.  Altruism is a survival trait.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 15, 2012, 03:13:17 AM

I think so. Even if you sacrifice your life for somebody else, that might be the species talking. Running into a burning building to save kids, that kind of thing.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 15, 2012, 03:28:22 AM

I think so. Even if you sacrifice your life for somebody else, that might be the species talking. Running into a burning building to save kids, that kind of thing.

It's not just that.  For reasons that should be obvious, societies that support the weakest members thrive.  Societies that rely on selfishness invariably fail.

And a failed tribe is a dead tribe.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 15, 2012, 03:31:51 AM

It's not just that.  For reasons that should be obvious, societies that support the weakest members thrive.  Societies that rely on selfishness invariably fail.

America: circling closer and closer to the drain.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 15, 2012, 03:32:51 AM

America: circling closer and closer to the drain.

Yep.  There's no coincidence in the fact that we were at our strongest, economically and socially, when our social safety net functioned properly.
Molon Lube

Kai

It's evolutionarily stable strategies, all the way down.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 08:19:01 PM
We're getting more and more to a point in society where nobody cares and unless you can give a logical reason why they should, there's no point in them showing you any mercy or kindness.

I dunno... I find a lot of human kindness here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:37:55 AM
We're getting more and more to a point in society where nobody cares and unless you can give a logical reason why they should, there's no point in them showing you any mercy or kindness.

It's been my experience that people will do kind things without really thinking about it, but if asked why will fabricate a logical justification.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 14, 2012, 08:32:38 PM
There's logic in giving a shit about people, whether anybody sees it or not. We're pack animals, we need the others. It's just that society tends to push the idea that we all need to be self-sufficient, look out for number one, fuck the others, the poor LIKE living like that, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You hear things like "according to logic, bumblebees can't fly" (but they finally found the logic of how that's done) and "If the world ran on logic, all the men would ride sidesaddle" (any guy who gets on a horse can figure out how to sit so his nuts don't get pulverized).

A lot of Buddhism is logical as fuck and it still emphasizes compassion.

I just don't think all logic is necessarily cold. Even Spock knew not to treat people like crap.

Logic that takes reality into account is often called "science". Logic that is based on idealism is often called "fascism".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yep yep yep yep!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 15, 2012, 04:16:26 AM

It's evolutionarily stable strategies, all the way down.

:mittens:

For real mittens. Damn.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 15, 2012, 04:41:58 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:37:55 AM

It's been my experience that people will do kind things without really thinking about it, but if asked why will fabricate a logical justification.

Really?

Like what?