News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

saw something, say something?

Started by Elder Iptuous, December 02, 2011, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

So my wife just calls me up and says that she was with the boys at the mall and they were watching the skaters in the ice rink.  she turns around and, descending the staircase behind her, she sees a person.

the person was in a full niqab type burqa.  not unseen in our city, but not terribly common.
the person was not hunched, but walking with a long striding gait and bent a bit, as if to appear shorter.
as the person walked by she saw that the hands were those of a man.  (thick hair, and large).
he (wife couldn't kept referring to the person in masculine) had a purse, but appeared uncomfortable with it, as it was a designer type with those ring handles, and he was trying to put it over his shoulders, though it was clearly not meant to be worn like that.
due to the long gait, the burqa kicked up in back, and she noted the person was wearing combat style boots.

she said it sent off alarm bells in her, which she generally doesn't get.
she stayed in the mall for about 30 more minutes, until she realized that she was simply staying to prove to herself that she wasn't frightened, and that this was not a good enough reason, and left.

she called me up because she had to tell somebody, but clearly wanted my advice, and after agreeing that it sounded odd, i said i would probably just sit on it.  i wouldn't want to feed into rednecked stereotyping.  i'm not afraid of terrorism.  i wouldn't want to feed into a paranoid society. and if there were some nefarious goings on, why the hell would the person wear something bound to attract attention? (unless the goal was simply to attract attention)
i texted her back about ten minutes later and said that maybe she should call the mall security.  i knew that it would sit on her if she didn't, and she agreed.  she called them up, and after giving a brief description, they indicated that they knew exactly who she was talking about, thanked her, and would follow up.

so....
what're your thoughts on this, PD?
it was probably nothing.
would you call?

The Good Reverend Roger

Wouldn't call. 

I support conspiracies for their own sake.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Probably using his wife's ID for something he shouldn't be.

Seen it over here, mother's ID being used to be able to use the bus for free and so on.  Maybe he's murdered his female relative and is collecting benefits in her name?  Or, at least, attempting to.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 02, 2011, 09:36:09 PM
Wouldn't call. 

heh
i like conspiracies, too.  but NIMBY!  :lol:

Cain, i can't imagine the benefits of wearing the burqa to outweigh the costs.  this is Texas...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on December 02, 2011, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 02, 2011, 09:36:09 PM
Wouldn't call. 

heh
i like conspiracies, too.  but NIMBY!  :lol:

I'm not picky.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Suu

Sounds like someone was trying to make a statement, to me.

We have a lot of diversity in Providence, so if I see a woman in a niqab in the mall, I don't even blink. I don't think I've EVER seen a burqa, but again, I probably wouldn't even think about it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Hoser McRhizzy

I wouldn't call.  What I would do is have a good long think about the beautiful masculine woman under that burka.  :D

But my money's on suu's idea.  50-50 there'll be a video of him and his buddies proving that the mall just isn't safe because LOOK HOW  NO ONE CARED ABOUT MAH BOOTS!
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.