News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Modifying Street Signs

Started by Cramulus, June 01, 2008, 02:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Saw this over at myconfinedspace

that image reminded me of this similar one:

and we've all seen numerous versions of this one, I hope?

Also you may have seen these guys around:

there's a really viral quality to the above memes.
Can you think of other cool and catchy ways to vandalize common street signs?

maybe sticker word-bubbles, or somehow working a meme bomb into the crossing sign image?

Perhaps a simple slap & dash cutout we can market / distribute?

Cramulus

also, does anyone know what font actual american street signs are in?

like these ones:

NWC

I like this idea.

I'll take a look at some common signs in a bit and see if I can come up with any simple meme additions.

With this type of work simplicity is key. Most people who actually pay attention to street signs are driving, and won't stop their car to closely examine someone's alterations(if they do, alterer wins epically).

Will post again in a bit if I come up with anything.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Suu

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 01, 2008, 02:35:42 AM
also, does anyone know what font actual american street signs are in?

like these ones:

Pull it into Photoshop, and then test a few sans serifs, my guess would be an Arial.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

NWC

A few quick ideas:

"DRUG FREE ZONE" signs could be sharpied with local prices.

*A dark marker could add an extra arrow to a "ONE WAY" sign <==>
    -potentially dangerous if done too well
-"WEIGHT LIMIT: NO FATTIES" - offensive but eye catching.

-anything with the word "LANE" can be switched to "pLANEt"

-SO much could be done with braile if there were an easy way to alter it. Imagine memes spread everywhere in plain view, but only blind people(and the few other braile readers) could understand. I can think of so many funny things that could be done with that.

- http://www.trafficsign.us/w11.html this page provides many more intricate and specific signs, with which much can be done, but these are ones I hardly ever see.

I need to go get gas before tomorrow morning, so I'll go do that now, and keep my eyes peeled for good targets on the way. Another thing to keep in mind with potential prospects is accessibility for the altering itself, as well as who will see it. Most of the more popular places in my town at least are going to be crawling with cops at night who would be more than happy to throw you in a cell for a night for messing with public property. It's probably the case that the signs on more rural roads differ in quality and quantity from those in towns, so I'll check out what I see along those more rural roads(but not too rural that no one will see them), and focus on those when I come back.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cramulus

a little bit of searchlore, and
STREET SIGN FONT.... REVEALED!

Univers Condensed

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201365

now with a simple grab of the green color, we're like two steps away from distributing

APE CUM MEMORIAL BLVD.pdf

Cramulus

here's a sample of univers condensed:

how does it look?

IMO the letter spacing is a bit wide, but that's easily tweaked. Otherwise, I think we've got a match.

Cramulus

unfortunately the font is copyrighted. Finding a copy will be difficult. Any ideas or resources, cats?

Meanwhile: a fontophile on another website said (guess what) Helvetica Condensed might be close enough. Possibly Arial Condensed. My PC has neither of those for some reason, and I'm having trouble finding a .ttf. Can anyone with those fonts try overlaying some letters onto a green background and see how it looks?

Cramulus

btw:

got the above snippet of univers condensed at this page
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201365
click on "try font", and you can type in whatever, then copy image, then paste into photoshop.

unfortunately, MSPaint won't do it for this one. You really do need the sharpness.

Triple Zero

there's sites out there that will identify fonts for you:
http://ilovetypography.com/2007/08/19/identify-that-font/

there might be free variants of the font out there, or you can try some more google-fu and find a file called univers.ttf or universc.ttf or you know .. Nomest est Omen ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Bu🤠ns

try googling:

"index of" font -htm -html -php

or

"index of" .ttf -htm -html -php

or

"index of" .pfb -htm -html -php

or

"index of" .pfa -htm -html -php

also you can go to http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and upload a picture and follow instructions.  if you pick a specific font and click through you can discover the font's file name.

fonts are a pretty easy find via google due to their rather small file size.

you can find out which fonts are which at www.identifont.com by answering a series of questions.